Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Vardy ruled out for "a few weeks"

Rodgers said the focus was an attacking midfielder this window.

“There’s not going to be one available for us that will improve what we have,” Rodgers said when asked if he would sign a new striker this month.

“That’s the reality of it. We’ll press on with what we’ve got and Jamie will be back in very soon.”
“I think in this window if we could bring in an attacking midfield player, that would be fantastic,” said Rodgers at his press conference ahead of the FA Cup fourth-round tie at Brentford.

• Like 4

Let's all trust in BR and the team! Look where we are and relish the fact that our club is the best run with the best owners in England; how very dare we be so fortunate.  I for one am loving every minute; we are blessed and will continue to be so. After winning the Prem (still seems like a dream), I would love to see us win the FA Cup in my lifetime and, maybe England the World Cup or Euro's, but I'll stop being fanciful right there.  COYF!

• Like 1

I admit I was crestfallen when I heard that Vards was suffering from a hernia, in addition to the supposed long term hip injury.

Further consideration on the whole issue of our talisman player raises a number of questions.

BR has been aware, since he arrived, that he has a phenomenal, yet ageing, striker at the heart of the team's potential success.

He's aware that maybe he needs to take more care of this resource than the player's own cavalier and devil-may-care attitude allows.

He's aware too that the squad might be over-reliant on a fit and flourishing Vardy to produce the results.

A balanced side cannot be over reliant on one man. Neither can the club be sure that an equally good player is going to emerge from somewhere to fill the gap. That City have actually improved as a side after having 'key' players seduced away by loadsamoney rivals is a tribute to its talent spotting arm and its youth development. But strikers like Vardy are rare beasts indeed.

BR has two other recognised strikers to hand and a number of talented peripheral forwards and other players who have the ability to score from outlying positions - Maddison, Barnes, Justin, Tielemans and the underrated N'Didi (who, when he gets it right, scores some screamers). Even Albrighton has managed to get back on the scoresheet.

Someone on here suggested that BR might have been encouraging these players to make and take opportunities for themselves, rather than trying to set up Vards.

If so, it's worked and all credit to his nouse in doing it.  The requisite skill set is obviously there - that was absolutely essential. I guess the trick was convincing them that they could and should take scoring  on their own shoulders.

Perez might now step out of the shadow of Vardy, knowing he has an unrestricted Vardy-free period in which to shine. I think Iheanacho just doesn't have the speed of reaction - but, if you have the goals coming from elsewhere then it's not such a big deal.

It reminds me of the Brazil side of 1970 - they had Pele and Jairzinho, but there were five other scorers for the team in that World Cup. They made and gave opportunities for/to each other, knowing who had the best chance. That's 'Total Football'.

I can see a bit of that in City atm.

-

• Like 1

I think it is has been pretty obvious in the last few games that the injury has affected Jamie's game. 

If we can somehow get through this period of his absence still up there fighting at the top, a fresh reinvigorated Vardy is going to be like a nuclear weapon when he returns...

Edited by Collymore

18 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

It was his hip for weeks now it's his groin that's the issue. Well which one Brendan?

Either way, if it is the surgery I think it is, he could be back in 2 weeks. However, by them saying a few weeks rather than a couple means it must be longer. So maybe back in time for the first leg of EL with a shorter appearance off the bench against Liverpool.

The hip bone’s connected to the - groin bone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Brendan quoted in Leicestershire Live:

"In fact, Vardy may only be out for a week following an operation that was originally scheduled for November.

“It’ll just depend on the recovery, he could be a week,” Rodgers said. “It’s not a major operation, it’s a minor one. It’ll just depend on the recovery process. It could be earlier than two weeks, but on a rough guess that’s what it will be"

I wouldn't normally have much confidence in anything the LL website says, but BR is directly quoted here. Hopefully it's cause for a bit of optimism and he'll probably return better than he was before as he's clearly been in some pain 

Can you link the article/ video? I can't see it on there.

5 hours ago, turlo said:

Rodgers said the focus was an attacking midfielder this window.

There’s not going to be one available for us that will improve what we have,” Rodgers said when asked if he would sign a new striker this month.

“That’s the reality of it. We’ll press on with what we’ve got and Jamie will be back in very soon.”
“I think in this window if we could bring in an attacking midfield player, that would be fantastic,” said Rodgers at his press conference ahead of the FA Cup fourth-round tie at Brentford.

As I just said in the transfer talk section; I don't buy this. Are they saying that a player doesn't exist to improve on Iheanacho or that we're not willing to pay for it?

Looking at the league now, our injuries, and the glaringly obvious need of Vardy to have someone competent to job share with I really hope that they are working on someone behind the scenes.

Every player has their price and the price should be irrelevant for the right player given the amount of money we've made on transfers and the fact that we're primed for a serious title challenge again.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'd be gutted to see us go anything less than all out with a golden opportunity like this by leaving too much on Vardy's shoulders/hips over a few million extra quid on a transfer fee!

Fingers crossed for Vardy and Praet backup :scarf:

• Like 1

"No strikers out there" -although Wolves have just signed someone on loan to replace Jimenez 

It's probably more of a case that there are not any that are either affordable or fit what we want. We look like we're prioritising an attacking midfielder, which makes some sense given there is no real replacement for Tielemans now Praet is sidelined. 

A good loan with an option to buy arrangement might be the best option in both cases, but I'm not holding out that much hope that we'll get anything done in this window. 

2 hours ago, BigGibbo said:

As I just said in the transfer talk section; I don't buy this. Are they saying that a player doesn't exist to improve on Iheanacho or that we're not willing to pay for it?

Looking at the league now, our injuries, and the glaringly obvious need of Vardy to have someone competent to job share with I really hope that they are working on someone behind the scenes.

Every player has their price and the price should be irrelevant for the right player given the amount of money we've made on transfers and the fact that we're primed for a serious title challenge again.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'd be gutted to see us go anything less than all out with a golden opportunity like this by leaving too much on Vardy's shoulders/hips over a few million extra quid on a transfer fee!

Fingers crossed for Vardy and Praet backup :scarf:

After reading all the quotes from yesterdays press conference Rodgers seems confident Vardy will only be out for 2 weeks and the shortlisted strikers they were already looking at aren't available/too difficult to sign now - hopefully that means they are confident of getting one of their main targets in the summer.

I do agree we are light up top and it's a risk with the fixture congestion ahead

Rodgers did say they are looking for an attacking midfielder as cover for Praet

"I think in this window if we could bring in an attacking midfield player, that would be fantastic,” said Rodgers at his press conference ahead of the FA Cup fourth-round tie at Brentford.

He added: “I think it’s the position we’re in, for the balance of the squad. We have lost an attacking midfield player in Dennis Praet who is going to be out until April we think. That’s a big chunk of the season."
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/brendan-rodgers-sets-out-leicester-4918894

3 hours ago, gerblod said:

I admit I was crestfallen when I heard that Vards was suffering from a hernia, in addition to the supposed long term hip injury.

Hip/groin/hernia all probably the same problem/injury. I doubt there are 2 separate concerns, I'm fairly confident they're one in the same.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, turlo said:

After reading all the quotes from yesterdays press conference Rodgers seems confident Vardy will only be out for 2 weeks and the shortlisted strikers they were already looking at aren't available/too difficult to sign now - hopefully that means they are confident of getting one of their main targets in the summer.

I do agree we are light up top and it's a risk with the fixture congestion ahead

Cheers. I get that but my point is that we're in a title race this season and we're not good enough (for want of a better phrase) yet to guarantee a title race next season so why wouldn't they go all out and do whatever it takes to get a top striker target now? There's  no such thing as 'not available' and if they're the right target then just do it. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lee Monty said:

Oh now we are F###ed, without Vardy and Morgan we have nothing 🥺

Hello Lee, no we are not F====D although as a former youth team player recently promoted to the reserves I would not over criticise your post. First lets get rid of the panic. Oh woe, sackcloth and ashes , we are undone. There ,does that feel better.

We are not F-----d because we have a decent manager who is not injured and has had covid so is unlikely to be. Vardy is one of , maybe even the best thing that has ever happened to Leicester but.let me tell you why I think we're possibly only mildly inconvenienced and indeed may be better off as a result of recent events. Firstly Kevin de Bruyne is out for longer according to recent news. Personally at this stage in the season as I've posted before I think the main threat to LCFC  is Man C. Despite JV's importance de Bruyne is probably an even bigger loss because apart from Van Dijk (injured) and Pogba he is the only galactico I can think of in the PL.  Pogba's manager is OGS ,the worst manager of any of the clubs threatening us. Unfortunately OGS has given uo trying to manage Pogba but dare n't leave him out. As a result Pogba has started playing to his near potential which is bad news .However the rest of Man. U is still managed by OGS, the manager who left Fred on for a second half and thereby got Man u ejected from the ECL, when even the " as it happened -minute by minute" correspondents were pleading with OGS to take him off following a mild head butt and a terrible foul in the first half. As he's a man U player the ref did n't send him off and he came out again at half time !! He did n't stay on long even Refs (most of whom one would think are partly employed by Man U ) can have enough. Its football so Man. U may still be a threst but i think its unlikely with a relatively inexperienced , not too smart manager.

De Bruyne is probably a bigger loss to Man C. than JV is to us because he plays more centrally than JV and is therefore more involved in a game although admittedly JV is usually more involved that your average striker. As Jurgen Klopp has found with van Dijk and Pep already knows, replacing galacticos is not immediately possible however rich the club is or however attractive a side is . It took quite a while for even Real Madrid to assemble their Galacticos and fit them together , far longer than to the end of this season. galacticos are very rare creatures.

The summary of the above is that the two events ,JV's operation, and de Bruyne's absence has probably left LCFC in an overall stronger position. Liverpool have faded a bit more since Van Dijk's injury, Man U have OGS, Man C are still our biggest worry but have lost De Bruyne. Everton have Ancelotti and Spurs Morinho but neither team has a galactico. Hope this improves your sleep.

• Sad 1

On 22/01/2021 at 14:15, TrentFox said:

I thought that, too. Would be interesting to see. Part of me is loathe to see us mess around with a winning formula. But part of me would be curious about that. Would allow Under his chance, too, without dropping Albrighton. 

I also agree but would n't mess around as much with a winning formula , moving Madison and Barnes  up a few yards to where you'd expect to see Vardy. and moving the reat of the midfield up a few yards,Ndidi and Youri  not far behind Madison and Barnes. Our defence, Castagne , Justin, Fofana (an accurate passer very willing to come forward a bit), Soyuncu (as for Fofana), Evans and Pereira could always stay in various permutations (you could n't play them all, our defence is possibly our strongest squad, and very flexible)

This would give us Madison and Barnes as capable twin strikers . As we drinkers say they appear of late as "getting the taste" .Barnes and Madison could  also be more effective at pressing. as towards the end of matches Vardy is usually the only one still carrying out this thankless but essential task. Barnes is talented as a striker and  is a bigger worker than Madison and Barnes attitude would mean that Madison would also have to follow him in being an effective presser. Even if something else bad happened and we had to resort to Perez , or even iheanacho, I don't think Barnes would be long before getting BR to give them an earful about helping with pressing, or even better doing it himself as his confidence grows. Its not a difficult skill but it is essential they press as Vardy does at his best, like an enraged wasp with the attitude "get away from my ball". A token challenge is worse than useless, just demoralises the team..

There is of course the danger that when JV returns and joins his new helpers and we have mastered a goal every three games from corners plus one every few games from set pieces we may have to accept a ruling from the PL that all our goals count as half goals . but as long as they agree to round up any half goals we should hold our own next season.

Edited by Alan Frost

I assume it is this guy that he is using:

https://www.davidmlloyd.com/

His surgery are all key hole and have a quick recovery. Jamie used him in the title winning season when he missed the FA Cup game. I think he recovered in 10/11 days from that. If this is the one then I am sure he will be back by the Wolves game latest, maybe even the midweek fixture before.

• Like 1