Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Beating all of the 'big 6' in the 20/21 season - that'd be a first

9 hours ago, Stadt said:

Some forum wide cognitive dissonance going on that we’re both now a part of the big six (or seven), or that we’ve broken it up, for most likely finishing in the top six 3 times in six years whilst Spurs have finished there nigh on every season for 10 years and they’re not taken seriously.

To be one of the elite you have to win something. In that 10 year period, they may have finished top six a few times but have won feck all. Until they do, I refuse to take them seriously. 

10 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

I don’t understand why Spurs is a Big Six club. They have won nothing and have been mediocre for years. If you go back decades, shouldn’t the likes of Villa or Everton be there first? 

Probably because they regularly finish in the top 6, and recently got the the ECL final.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

I don’t understand why Spurs is a Big Six club. They have won nothing and have been mediocre for years. If you go back decades, shouldn’t the likes of Villa or Everton be there first? 

I was wondering the same.  Over the last 10 years or so they have fairly consistently finished in and around the top 6 and they have a fancy stadium and a big name manager.  That's about it.

This century, of the 63 domestic trophies that have been handed out, Spurs have won one.  The rest of the big 6 are far more successful, Man U and Chelsea both have 14, Man City are on 11, Arsenal 9, Liverpool 6 - that is real dominance. In fact, there's only one other team that have won more than one, and that's us!  The only thing that can be said about Spurs is that of the teams that have won one trophy, they are the only one that is currently in the premier league.

It naturally follows then, what do we have to do to become a fully fledged member of the 'big 6' or do they create space for us and make it a 'big 7'?  

I guess more followers on Twitter, a bigger stadium, three or four years of consecutive European football, including at least 2 Champions League campaigns and we'll stop being treated like the new kid at school?  It almost feels within touching distance.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Koke said:

The only true shock was Man City away 

Arsenal - they were about 15th when we best them.

Spurs - RodgersBall > MourinhoBall. Easy win

Chelsea - Lampard was about to lose his job. Another easy win.

Liverpool  - huge injury crisis and they lost 4 of their last 5. 

Agree on the most part, but we've got an injury crisis just as bad as theirs

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The Big 6 is a recent invention and Spurs have finished above them both probably every year for 12 years. Over the past decade they've had some of the six best squads, league finishes, managers and finances. If we had consecutive finishes of 6th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 5th 4th, 5th - could you imagine the furore on this place if pundits called us mediocre?

In terms of overachievement (wrt to league position) given our resources and finances, Spurs are actually the best example the Premier League has seen. They've comfortably consolidated themselves as one of the most significant teams in the league from total also-rans in the 2000s. 

I don't like Spurs either but there's a lot of disingenuous posts on here about them, as if it's Crystal Palace that are being called a big 6 club.

I’d say we are in a similar position to Spurs in 15/16, and they managed to keep their players! Hopefully we can do the same but add a few. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Saw this earlier:

20210214_224600.jpg

Shows how although frustrating to watch sometimes, Rodgers has made us a horrible team to break down against teams like this... to only concede 8 goals in games against these lot is brilliant to be fair

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

The Big 6 is a recent invention and Spurs have finished above them both probably every year for 12 years. Over the past decade they've had some of the six best squads, league finishes, managers and finances. If we had consecutive finishes of 6th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 5th 4th, 5th - could you imagine the furore on this place if pundits called us mediocre?

In terms of overachievement (wrt to league position) given our resources and finances, Spurs are actually the best example the Premier League has seen. They've comfortably consolidated themselves as one of the most significant teams in the league from total also-rans in the 2000s. 

I don't like Spurs either but there's a lot of disingenuous posts on here about them, as if it's Crystal Palace that are being called a big 6 club.

Good post. Some city fans won’t like it but there’s actually a lot of similarities between us and spurs in ‘breaking’ the top 4/6 in the way the club has been run on and off the pitch. Except they’re Tottenham willy pullers and we’re not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Koke said:

The only true shock was Man City away 

Arsenal - they were about 15th when we best them.

Spurs - RodgersBall > MourinhoBall. Easy win

Chelsea - Lampard was about to lose his job. Another easy win.

Liverpool  - huge injury crisis and they lost 4 of their last 5. 

Even that I think it's clear in hindsight we caught them at the perfect time. Not to play us down however - games against bigger teams was a real issue last year. Our record against 'big 6' sides was 2 wins, 3 draws and 7 losses. It's a significant improvement.

The problem this season has been home defeats against average teams.

• Like 1

Key to beating Man United;

1. Make sure at set peices that every player in our box falls on the floor when maguire touches them.

2. Slot the ball to Vardy through Lindleoff and nutmeg maguire to slot home (and enjoy maguire turning to the linesman in protest)

6 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

See my earlier response. Top six is factual, big six is subjective, but rich six is what these clubs are.

Take Tottenham. Their revenues are roughly 2.5 times what ours are based on 18/19 published accounts.

This basically means that they can blow us out of the water with transfer fees and wages if they choose to do so - as can the other rich 5. That gives them all the advantages. Whether they’re successful in using those advantages is another debate.

In the short term we, Villa, Everton, Wolves etc. might break into those top six positions, but can we sustain it? Can we get top six for 6 seasons out of 10 even? The rich six clubs will reinvest every season to push us out and back to where they think we belong. It’s hard to break that cycle and it cost Man City and Chelsea billions to force their way in 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

To be one of the elite you have to win something. In that 10 year period, they may have finished top six a few times but have won feck all. Until they do, I refuse to take them seriously. 

It’s not Labelled  “elite” is it, it’s labelled big six, I.e six biggest clubs in the country. 

And they haven’t finished outside the top six for 11 years.

They are the complete also rans of the big six, but it is hard to argue they are not among the top six teams in the country based on hard consistent performance non the less.

You all did this last year and look how that worked out, you’d of thought you’d of learnt.

21 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Who cares,  Fuch the "big 6" its not real its a con trick perpetuated by the media and the clubs in question to maintain the status quo. 

As a club and a fan base we need to ignore it and carry on progressing in our own right. 

That post requires a lusty 'Here here'

I dgaf about the big 6. I get joy over a good difficult win over palace as much as I do those cvnts

• Like 1