Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Transfer targets ongoing

Message added by Mark,

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

pepe rinsed him for 45 mins a week ago ……….  i think fuchs would have got into pepe early on in that game.  Thomas doesn't have the physical attributes for that yet …...

To be honest, I don't think Fuchs would have got anywhere near him. Thomas is a young inexperienced lad who had played a few games in succession which was a big ask. Pepe is rapid and eventually coming into form, he came with a huge price tag and is no mug. I'm sure Thomas will learn from the experience but has already acquitted himself very well against some top seasoned Premiership players. He's not going to get that sort of experience in the Championship. He's already at the point, I believe, whereby day in day out training around the first team squad absorbing Rodgers methods and requirements will be far more beneficial. As was mentioned, he already has a good understanding with Barnes and, if we do get into Europe next season, there's going to be plenty of competitions for him to play a part in. I don't think they'll be too much money spent either this summer and certainly not on left back as there's far bigger priorities. If Rodgers thinks he's up to it he stays he's great cover. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

To be honest, I don't think Fuchs would have got anywhere near him. Thomas is a young inexperienced lad who had played a few games in succession which was a big ask. Pepe is rapid and eventually coming into form, he came with a huge price tag and is no mug. I'm sure Thomas will learn from the experience but has already acquitted himself very well against some top seasoned Premiership players. He's not going to get that sort of experience in the Championship. He's already at the point, I believe, whereby day in day out training around the first team squad absorbing Rodgers methods and requirements will be far more beneficial. As was mentioned, he already has a good understanding with Barnes and, if we do get into Europe next season, there's going to be plenty of competitions for him to play a part in. I don't think they'll be too much money spent either this summer and certainly not on left back as there's far bigger priorities. If Rodgers thinks he's up to it he stays he's great cover. 

I’m not dissing the player - just pointing out that he has had a bad game.  Chilwell spent a summer building his running strength and the improvement in his game was big.  Whether Luke is ready for that yet I’m not sure.  I would keep him if we have Europe ......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

pepe rinsed him for 45 mins a week ago ……….  i think fuchs would have got into pepe early on in that game.  Thomas doesn't have the physical attributes for that yet …...

Pepe cheated and dived, in that respected he rinsed him but he wasn't tearing him a new one like Marehz did to Chillwell last season .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....so, Celtic messed up royally!!!

You have to attribute the clubs' downfall to the Board and the decisions that they took. The Garry Parker issue is hard to understand, why would you not do your badges if you wish to take up coaching.

Yeah it has been most definitely down to the board.

It is and it isn't if your meal ticket to jobs is your best mate then there's maybe little motivation to become properly qualified.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majaco said:

Thomas looks promising.  He has looked exposed at times.  Rodgers has protected him by taking him off at half-time in a couple of games.  If we have enough cover, a loan would probably benefit him as he is unlikely to be first choice next season. With more experience, he could be the season after that.

While no-one suggested Chilwell be loaned out, he was crucified by some on this forum.

Do we have cover? Strikes me he's been great when called upon with really only Pepe overwhelming/exposing him with his pace. It's been a bit of a god-send he's been there to step up. If we're to go into next season wanting to fight on as many fronts as possible (domestic and in Europe) he seems like a great player to progress through games where JJ needs a break or where BR wants to manage the squad. This season might be exceptional but it shows we need depth. It will depend I guess on what Thomas wants.

• Like 1

Hi all, what are peoples thoughts on potential free’s this summer?!

3 that spring to mind and would no doubt make our squad stronger are:

- otavio (Porto)

- lacazette (arsenal)

- Thauvin (Marseille)

add in to that if we buy Eduard (Celtic) and maybe another centre half.

The squad would certainly be capable of pushing for the prem and Europe next season.

9 minutes ago, Filbo10 said:

- otavio (Porto)

- lacazette (arsenal)

- Thauvin (Marseille)

The squad would certainly be capable of pushing for the prem and Europe next season.

Would love us to sign Otavio and Thauvin on a free, Lacazette still has 1 year left on his deal and wouldn't really want us to sign him anyway

11 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Would love us to sign Otavio and Thauvin on a free, Lacazette still has 1 year left on his deal and wouldn't really want us to sign him anyway

12 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Sorry, my fault. I’m sure I read somewhere it was up this year for lacazette.

The other 2 however would be really good business in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Filbo10 said:

- otavio (Porto)

- lacazette (arsenal)

- Thauvin (Marseille)

.. not a fan of Lacazette, needs too many chances!!!

13 hours ago, majaco said:

Thomas looks promising.  He has looked exposed at times.  Rodgers has protected him by taking him off at half-time in a couple of games.  If we have enough cover, a loan would probably benefit him as he is unlikely to be first choice next season. With more experience, he could be the season after that.

While no-one suggested Chilwell be loaned out, he was crucified by some on this forum.

I was impressed from the moment he first came on for the first team. Rodgers has protected him on occasion, I agree, but if this season has proven anything, it's that you can never have enough cover - City made the mistake of not leaving the option open to recall Dewsbury-Hall. While Thomas not yet at the standard of Justin and Castagne, his potential appears to be sky-high.

Chilwell was never going to be loaned out - he was just too good to be. What happened to the exciting player we were seeing three seasons ago was a crisis of confidence bought about by a clique of boo-boys determined to have their 'fun' by undermining him. Thomas appears made of sterner stuff - which isn't in anyway a criticism of Chilwell.

On 11/03/2021 at 17:33, st albans fox said:

Every player gets "rinsed" and for Thomas it's not going to be a steep learning curve to learn how to deal with situations like that. He doesn't appear to have been physically dominated at all when I've seen him. In fact, he appears to relish a battle. He will gain muscle over the next three years, but his skill will compensate for any lack of physique in the meantime. .

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

I was impressed from the moment he first came on for the first team. Rodgers has protected him on occasion, I agree, but if this season has proven anything, it's that you can never have enough cover - City made the mistake of not leaving the option open to recall Dewsbury-Hall. While Thomas not yet at the standard of Justin and Castagne, his potential appears to be sky-high.

Chilwell was never going to be loaned out - he was just too good to be. What happened to the exciting player we were seeing three seasons ago was a crisis of confidence bought about by a clique of boo-boys determined to have their 'fun' by undermining him. Thomas appears made of sterner stuff - which isn't in anyway a criticism of Chilwell.

Chilwell went to huddersfield for 6 months

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Played 8 games, came back and barely played for us for a year. Threatened to leave too. Thomas is already performing in the PL and is in fine fettle. I don't see the fascination with fans thinking he needs to go on loan. He's being coached by a superb manager and the majority of the times he gets a game for us he does well. Will likely end up making nearly 20 appearances this season which is a solid 1st full season and still only 19.

I agree. I believe Thomas is just as good if not better than chilwell at 19. However the competiton is much greater, so he may struggle with constistant games, 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Chilwell went to huddersfield for 6 months

"On 19 November 2015, Chilwell joined Championship club Huddersfield Town on a youth loan until 3 January 2016" (Wikipedia).

I should have made myself clear. I was writing about his time as a first-team player - which, according to Wiki, began on 26th December 2016. Thomas is now what I consider a fully-fledged first team player. So, I was comparing him to Chilwell in that capacity. 

4 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

First time properly watching Toney, been impressed, will cost too much though I’d guess

Agree, part of me would love us to sign Toney - another local lad, Leicester fan and a touch of the Vardy working his way up the leagues after being released. 

But if it’s a choice of ~£30mil for Toney or £15mil for Édouard then it makes financial sense to go for Édouard.

7 hours ago, kyleolly said:

I would take 

• Sergio Aguero 
  • David Alaba 
  • Jerome Boateng 
  • Hakan Calhanoglu 
  • Memphis Depay 
  • Angel Di Maria 

All on a free bargain lol

As long as you agree to pay their wages :)

Daryl Dike who’s currently on loan at Barnsley looks like an absolute specimen! He’s having a pretty big impact too, I’m wondering if it is worth looking at the MLS? They have some pure athletes in that league, Dike for example looks like he can play too, at 20 he’s got time to adjust and improve. Certainly would be a decent addition to a squad in my opinion to help develop into a top player.