Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Nigel Pearson appointed Bristol City manager

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I know we have some real Pearson lovers on here but it looks like it’s blatantly clear that Pearson doesn’t work without Shaky and Walsh. He never really has done. That Bristol side with the likes of Matt James, Simpson and King (sub today) don’t look good enough to get promoted.

We’ll see but losing this evening at hone to Swansea (how it stands) doesn’t bode well

Blatantly clear after less than half a season? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I know we have some real Pearson lovers on here but it looks like it’s blatantly clear that Pearson doesn’t work without Shaky and Walsh. He never really has done. That Bristol side with the likes of Matt James, Simpson and King (sub today) don’t look good enough to get promoted.

We’ll see but losing this evening at hone to Swansea (how it stands) doesn’t bode well

Swansea should arguably be beating Bristol City, it's not much of a shock at all

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Promoted? They looked a level below Swansea to me. Think Pearson will do well to keep them up.

9 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Bristol City have played pretty well this evening.

Their forward’s tonight were abysmal though. NP had Nugent and Vardy back in 2014, he’s got nothing anywhere near that quality at Bristol.

The midfield work hard but under constant pressure because the forwards can’t control the ball or make the right decision. Pearson has got his work cut out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Promoted? They looked a level below Swansea to me. Think Pearson will do well to keep them up.

I don't think he will get the chance.

• Sad 1

They're hardly expected to go up this season are they. They lost a few in the summer and haven't really brought much in. That is simply miles off a squad that should be expecting a top 6 finish. I'd guess they end up about 12th this year.

Lots of endeavour but zero quality tonight. Two poor teams though. 0-0 would've been fair.

1. It’s Bristol city not Bristol, makes me cringe horrendously - there’s two clubs in the city.

2. The general expectation there is if they stay up with that crop of players it’s a success. A lot of the fans believe in Pearson and appreciate he’s got shite in front of him

Edited by TJB-fox
  • Like 2

The expectation of most Bristol City fans seems to be for them to finish comfortably mid-table and not be sucked into a relegation battle, while playing better football than the supposedly dire standard they were served up in recent seasons. Any push for the play-offs would just be a bonus by the sounds of it, and after the first four games it looks like being another unremarkable season unless they tidy up that leaky defense.

On the showing of watching tonight's and against Reading, the intent is definitely there. The Robins looked positive, and as others on here have attested, James looks a class above the rest of them in midfield at present - just a yard ahead of those around him. Promising to see the development of Pring too - he's got a big season ahead of him by the looks of it.

That up-front pairing of Weimann and Martin is looking suspect though. A couple of shots on target between them all night, and Martin missed a golden opportunity before Swansea scored, managing to snatch the ball wide of the left post while barely 6 yards out. That Pearson ended up with King rolling back the years by playing his old No. 10 role for the closing stages (and almost glancing in an equaliser with probably Bristol's best chance of the second half) says a lot about the lack of reliable options up-front, though as I mentioned earlier in this thread there's some pretty hot debate on whether Weimann is crap, or just in need of a bit of a purple patch to really kick on and score the goals needed to fire them up the table.

Bit of luck to Swansea's goal with it ricocheting back off the post into the path of their man, but another case of the centre back pairing being caught asleep and letting him through to have a clear sight of the rebound. Been said already, but while it's possible one of Martin or Weimann could yet come good up front, a Centre Back with an ounce of positional sense is vital if they're going to do anything this year. It's honestly been like watching two Ryan Bennetts since I picked up the Robins' games - they both look well off the pace. :whistle:

You can shrug it off by saying Swansea are a "good" team by Championship standards, but Bristol City were the better team for large stages. The game was there for the taking but lapses of concentration at both ends cost them points, which is becoming a theme already this season.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

I guess there’s little point on here (it never fookin changes) but the point I’m making is that we had success under the managerial team of Pearson, Walsh and Shakespeare. Not just under Pearson. 
Anyone who knows anything about their tenure would tell you it was the standard good cop, bad cop situation that did the business. 
The players came to Shakespeare, not Pearson. Walsh found the players to sign 

It worked of course. But I’ve found it interesting that Pearson, on his own, has never yet replicated what he achieved at City. I liken him a bit to Brian Clough in some respects. Arrogant, self confident, yet needs someone very close to him to bring success.

Look past the standard ‘he’s having a pop’ at our old manager’ childish nonsense. I’m interested in whether Pearson can develop a similar team around him to once again get some success. I actually think he might have done that at Watford. But again wasn’t given time to.

7 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Cannot get my head around City fans wanting to stick the boot in on Pearson.  If you don't like the guy just ignore him, nobody's forcing you to follow his career for an I-told-you-so moment.  You'll never have one.  He'll always be great in our hearts.

This blows my mind too. For a start I can’t understand why any Leicester fan wouldn’t bloody love Pearson for what he did for us. However to then have fans follow Pearson topics on here to essentially have a go at those who like the man is just odd and much weirder than fans actually wanting him to succeed. Why do some feel the need to almost want him to fail so that they can give it the “told you so” shit. There shouldn’t even be a split with our fan base with the guy, he should be universally respected. Also anyone who has actually met the guy would know he isn’t spiky or arrogant and is actually a bloody friendly and top bloke. I can only assume it is a generational thing as those who seem to dislike him also appear to be older. Like you say with your final point, it doesn’t matter if he fails everywhere else, he will still have our respect and love for what he did here.  

Edited by Unabomber
  • Like 3