Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Nigel Pearson appointed Bristol City manager

18 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I expect NFP is still in a honeymoon period so can avoid the flak for now despite 5th consecutive home loss only scoring one goal. 

Not sure if he's up to it anymore. It may be that peak Pearson was left behind in 2015. 

He can only really do it with Shakespeare and Walsh with him.. without them hes generally struggled

22 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

He can only really do it with Shakespeare and Walsh with him.. without them hes generally struggled

Went into Carlisle and helped them stay up, same at Southampton.

Edited by Fox92

Bristol City manager Nigel Pearson believes Danny Simpson will bring some much needed experience to the Robins squad with the former Leicester City right-back signing on a free transfer.

Simpson has completed his move to Ashton Gate having spent the last two weeks training at Failand with City as the club had to make an application to the EFL to sign him outside of a transfer window and with their full squad complement at 25.

Alfie Mawson's recall by Fulham, with the centre-back out for the rest of the season, means a place in the first-team squad has been freed up and the 34-year-old will go straight into contention to face Stoke City next Friday.

Pearson worked previously with the defender at Leicester City where Simpson went on to become a Premier League title winner in 2016. His last club was Huddersfield, having spent a season with the Terriers in the Championship last term before his release in the summer.

Pearson is hopeful Simpson's addition can have a positive impact on the younger elements within his squad as City's injury crisis has left the new boss to often fill his bench with largely untested, at least in a Championship sense, academy products.

“He offers us experience, know-how and, for someone who is in his 30s now, he still has that appetite to play," Pearson said. "We have ability in our ranks and a bright future with our young players but it’s about striking the balance with the know-how in game situations. I know Danny well, he’s had an excellent career with his exposure in the Premier League so it’s a real positive to make this addition at this point in the season.”

Simpson will be competing with Jack Hunt for the starting right-back slot, although Fulham loanee Steven Sessegnon is also an option; however the England Under-21 international has so been deployed as a left-back with Jay Dasilva and Tommy Rowe out injured.

A graduate of the Manchester United academy, Simpson has three Championship promotions on his CV with Newcastle, Sunderland and Queens Park Rangers.

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

They're not too pleased. What's up with them, don't they know he's one of the Immortals?

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/211567-danny-simpson/page/10/

Hope he does well! Nobody condones his previous actions but this is getting old now. Seems like he has changed and did well when with us so people need to move on.

Superb new article in the Athletic about the psychological cost of managing a high-level football club.  (It’s massive … if that surprises anyone)

Part of the article covers NGP.  It’s one of several profiles in a long feature (so I hope I’m OK to share it here).  But  I strongly recommend the whole piece  https://theathletic.com/2474476/2021/03/25/manager-burnout-brutal-truths-about-alcohol-dreading-matches-and-the-relief-of-being-sacked

Their family home has been in Sheffield for more than 30 years, going back to the days when Nigel was captaining second-division Wednesday to a League Cup final win over Manchester United and promotion in the same season. Although that can mean periods apart at times, especially during the week, there is something to be said for the stability and escapism that a permanent base away from the football club provides.

“Absolutely,” says Nicky. “To be able to come home and not have that (the pressure of being a manager at a club in the same city where you live) if we did go out. We still have a massive thing in Sheffield because he was the captain of Sheffield Wednesday, so we have it from a fan and a player side but not as a manager, and that’s why he’s always said that to manage in Sheffield isn’t what he wants because he likes living here and he wouldn’t want that to be affected.”

Although Nicky would go to the majority of matches in normal circumstances, and spend more time watching her husband on the touchline than the game itself, she rarely talks football at home. “It’s work, so I don’t ever really ask that much. If Nigel was a bank manager, I wouldn’t expect him to come home and talk to me about accounts,” she says, smiling.

With James, it is different. Aged 28, he will often chat about a game with his dad, in the same way any father and son might, or a potential job opportunity, as was the case when Bristol City of the Championship came in for Nigel last month.

One thing James has really noticed over the last couple of years is just how much his old man has mellowed. “I think he’s completely changed now. Obviously, we all worry about his mental health. But ever since he took the Watford job (in December 2019), I would say that I don’t worry about him half as much because he’s changed the way he perceives everyone.

“Before, he used to call Twitter ‘twitter’. He used to hate it. He used to hate social media. Not hate… he just didn’t get it. But he understands now that this is life, it’s a massive part of football. The fact that he’s on social media is weird. So weird. But it’s a good thing too.”

Age and experience probably have something to do with that shift, plus a willingness to embrace the media more generally in a way that would never have appealed to him in the past. James talks about how “the barriers aren’t up” any more and how his father seems more relaxed as a result, whether that’s speaking to journalists or bumping into football fans in a restaurant.

That is not to say that Pearson has let his guard down completely; there is a time and a place for speaking openly.

“When he’s being interviewed, I sometimes think, ‘Oh for goodness sake, talk quickly. You don’t talk like that normally’. We’re all thinking, ‘Come on, spit it out!’” says Nicky, laughing. “But I know that he’s doing that for a reason. He’s always thinking about what he’s saying in a live interview because he knows the scrutiny there is and that people will pick it apart if he just says one thing wrong.”

While dealing with the fallout from unfavourable headlines is one thing — Pearson had to do that a few times with Leicester during the 2014-15 season in the Premier League that included the notorious Night of the Ostrich run-in with one reporter — picking up the pieces in between jobs is quite another.

“I’ve seen Nigel at his lowest — Derby,” says Nicky, referring to his acrimonious 2016 departure from Pride Park, when he left the club by mutual consent after only five months following a bitter fallout with Mel Morris, the club’s owner. “It was awful. I‘ve always been Nigel’s biggest fan. I’ve always said to him, ‘You’re too good to give this up’. But I thought (then), ‘If he never works in football again, I’m with him’.”

James finds it hard to imagine that day will come and tells his mum that it is unlikely to happen anytime soon. “Dad has worked in football for 39 years, in a dressing room,” he says. “Yeah, he likes to take a break and go on holiday (at the end of the season) and he’s been travelling around the world and he enjoys doing that. But football, whether people like it or not, is a drug. It’s a complete addiction.

“When he’s in football, he might go, ‘I’m tired, this is hard, and mentally it’s tough’. When you’re out of it, all you want to be is back. And you see when he gets a job after being out of work, within half an hour he’s got a completely different mindset and he’s a completely different person.

“That’s because it’s the drug that is football.”

Do you reckon he might take the Sheff Utd job at the end of the season? Or even Newcastle if they go down with the inevitable sacking of Bruce? 

He doesn't seem the same character these days but whether he still has it in him remains to be seen. 

I don't think that he'd ever have to buy his own beer in Leicester. 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

This news will please my Bristol City mate, if true.

Despite their bad form, he wants NP to get a long-term contract - and reckons most Bristol City fans would say the same.

They mainly blame the players and previous management for their slide down the table, it seems, although they've also had a lot of injuries.

My mate reckons they do have some good players there and some promising youngsters, but also some dross - and a lack of character or resilience in the squad.

He'd actively want a big turnaround so 13 first-teamers out of contract might be good news.....so long as they're not just the decent players! :D

Inheriting a few decent players but overhauling a squad, instilling more character and building for long-term success.....sounds like the sort of job for Nigel! 

12 hours ago, Langston said:

No better man to have in charge if 13 seniors are out of contract and there's a big job on bringing in the right faces. Seems like the people in charge down there are looking beyond the short term.

Yeah this. Definitely makes a change with owners nowadays.

• Like 1

Good luck to him.

If they are midtable In December, the trick is to stick with him and it *will* come good.

Whilst our fans rightly love Nigel Pearson for all he did for us, he had several decidedly ropey spells which would have seen him booted at other clubs with trigger happy owners.

Gotta let him build a team.

• Like 1