Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Nigel Pearson appointed Bristol City manager

44 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Good luck to him.

If they are midtable In December, the trick is to stick with him and it *will* come good.

Whilst our fans rightly love Nigel Pearson for all he did for us, he had several decidedly ropey spells which would have seen him booted at other clubs with trigger happy owners.

Gotta let him build a team.

Yep, especially when he first come back too. We dropped points against sides we should have been beating, even then. Barnsley, Doncaster, Portsmouth all come to mind.

Takes time to build a squad.

30 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Yep, especially when he first come back too. We dropped points against sides we should have been beating, even then. Barnsley, Doncaster, Portsmouth all come to mind.

Takes time to build a squad.

Ben Marshall sauntering over to take a corner at 2-0 down, then having the audacity to give the fans the finger when trying to get him to hurry up. Glad he never played for the club again. 

Edit: Don't actually think Nige was in charge for that match, but still, never forget :D

Edited by walkerleeds

8 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

Ben Marshall sauntering over to take a corner at 2-0 down, then having the audacity to give the fans the finger when trying to get him to hurry up. Glad he never played for the club again. 

Edit: Don't actually think Nige was in charge for that match, but still, never forget :D

Nah he was but I think it was the season after! I was about 8 rows up right in front of Marshall when he did that.

The one I was referring too was Barnsley, home, season before when Drinkwater tore us up.

On 29/04/2021 at 13:50, moore_94 said:

Official, I wonder if we might see a leicester loanee or two turning up at Ashton Gate next season

What's Steve Walsh (the scout) up to now? Dave Rennie looking for a job?? Kingy?? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Not doing too well is he?

Pearson worked in the trio. Shaky and Walsh. 
He’s nowhere near as successful on his jack jones 

They've done the right thing getting him in full time. I follow Bristol City pretty close as my best mate is a fan.

They've got about 14 in the first team squad out of contract and a couple of crap old timers.

It's a HUGE task but one i'd back Nigel to be perfect for every time.

Steve Walsh gig in America is to build a team for a new franchise that starts next season. I'd imagine he'll be done with that buy late summer so could well join Nige at some point. Bristol City are looking for a new CEO but not sure if he'd fancy doing the whole job so they might get in a business based CEO and hire a DOF (the current CEO does both.... badly)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In terms of their start to the season, bit of a mixed bag - conceded two late goals so far to draw with Blackpool and then get dumped out of the League Cup on penalties by Forest Green Rovers.

That said, they're scoring goals (which was a big problem for them last season) and they seem to be creating more too.

As for the magnitude of those results - first day results are tricky to judge, and I think Blackpool will be a bit of a dark horse in the Championship this year after a cracking season last time out to gain promotion. And I'm sure the League Cup result will be quickly shrugged off as long as league results start to pick up.

The media war is starting already. Maybe if journalists stopped asking dumb, closed questions they'd stop getting such curt answers from Nigel. We were taught in high school when doing media work to keep questions as open ended as possible when conducting interviews - we were actually marked down for poor phrasing or use of closed questions. Considering a lot of these hacks involved with local papers probably hold media degrees nowadays, it baffles me that they seem incapable of framing questions in ways that invite elaboration.~

How about your centre-backs this evening? Did they do well enough against Jamille Matt, who caused a lot of problems at times?

This is a closed question - if it can be answered with a "yes" or "no" you're not doing your job properly. They could have literally just asked "How about your centre-backs this evening? " and elicited a more open response.

They then follow up with

And Taylor Moore as well we guess?

Which just recycles the same question while imposing an expectation of a certain response (namely - yes, this player did well). The response made me laugh though.

The best journalists and interviewers through broadcasting history say very little. They leave it open to the person being interviewed to fill the gaps. So it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that Nige is already acting prickly to another bunch of half-baked local hacks. :fishing:
Early days yet and following with interest, media circus and all!  :pearson:

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 4

On 11/08/2021 at 16:39, Carl the Llama said:

Absolutely savage lol

18 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

What made you select Nahki Wells to be captain tonight, instead of Tomas?

Because I selected him to be captain.

lollol 

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

In terms of their start to the season, bit of a mixed bag - conceded two late goals so far to draw with Blackpool and then get dumped out of the League Cup on penalties by Forest Green Rovers.

That said, they're scoring goals (which was a big problem for them last season) and they seem to be creating more too.

As for the magnitude of those results - first day results are tricky to judge, and I think Blackpool will be a bit of a dark horse in the Championship this year after a cracking season last time out to gain promotion. And I'm sure the League Cup result will be quickly shrugged off as long as league results start to pick up.

The media war is starting already. Maybe if journalists stopped asking dumb, closed questions they'd stop getting such curt answers from Nigel. We were taught in high school when doing media work to keep questions as open ended as possible when conducting interviews - we were actually marked down for poor phrasing or use of closed questions. Considering a lot of these hacks involved with local papers probably hold media degrees nowadays, it baffles me that they seem incapable of framing questions in ways that invite elaboration.~

This is a closed question - if it can be answered with a "yes" or "no" you're not doing your job properly. They could have literally just asked "How about your centre-backs this evening? " and elicited a more open response.

They then follow up with

Which just recycles the same question while imposing an expectation of a certain response (namely - yes, this player did well). The response made me laugh though.

The best journalists and interviewers through broadcasting history say very little. They leave it open to the person being interviewed to fill the gaps. So it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that Nige is already acting prickly to another bunch of half-baked local hacks. :fishing:
Early days yet and following with interest, media circus and all!  :pearson:

Nigel can be spiky but he doesn't duck questions, particularly if they're asked properly.

If you're speaking to him regularly you should learn how to manage it.

If you don't learn and stick to the "this is my way of asking questions and I'm not going to change" then don't be surprised when he keeps shutting you down.

• Like 2

On 12/08/2021 at 19:35, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Nigel can be spiky but he doesn't duck questions, particularly if they're asked properly.

If you're speaking to him regularly you should learn how to manage it.

If you don't learn and stick to the "this is my way of asking questions and I'm not going to change" then don't be surprised when he keeps shutting you down.

Did you ever have any flare ups with him or anything which could have  @UpTheLeagueFox

3-1 up away at Reading now. Weimann on the scoresheet after just five minutes - a player that splits the fanbase. Sounds like Bristol's Perez. lol

As for the ex-Leicester contingent...

Kingy went off with a knock just before Bristol's third. Hopefully nothing major. :nono:

Noises coming out of the Bristol City forums suggest Danny Simpson is having a good game, and that James is getting back to his best - was heavily involved in the second for Chris Martin with a dinked ball to the back post which Cameron Pring nudged into his path. Side point, but how on earth is Martin only 32? I swear blind he's been around since the days of the dinosaurs, or at least since Coldplay were a relevant band and the name comparison was funny. :whistle:

Reading are in a bit of a mire right now - transfer embargo and lost one of their main men in Lucas Joao before this one, so a bit of a thin squad at the minute for them. Also really struggling to fill seats at the hallowed turf of the Select Car Leasing Stadium (:blink:) - my Royals-supporting mate paid on the door and got in for £14 at the weekend.

Updates -

81' - The Leicester connection continues - Liam Moore drags it back to 3-2!
88' - It's all Reading, Bristol are penned in their own half. Sounds familiar. :o
90 + 2' - James gives away a foul - yellow card. Reading Free Kick 25 yards out... comes to nothing.
90+6' - Full Time! 3-2 to the Robins. Big Nige gets a hard-fought first win of the season. Bristol City are up to 7th after 3 games.
:pearson:

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Raj said:

Did you ever have any flare ups with him or anything which could have  @UpTheLeagueFox

Not really. Got shut down on the occasional mis-phrased question and he walked off when I wanted an interview once but there was never anything major.

Gave him a lift once - just him and me in the car for 45 minutes, I've discussed it here before - was pretty nerve wracking lol

Edited by UpTheLeagueFox
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Not really. Got shut down on the occasional mis-phrased question and he walked off when I wanted an interview once but there was never anything major.

Gave him a lift once - just him and me in the car for 45 minutes, I've discussed it here before - was pretty nerve wracking lol

i Hope you offered to clean his white trainers with your toothbrush?