Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

To me net spend is a joke to use as any sort of metric. When you already have quality in your ranks it skews your net spend a lot. Ours is only so low because our outgoings are so high because we're starting off on a much better footing. It's like the argument from a year or so ago that Liverpools met spend was so low. Well yeah obviously, they sold coutinho and suarez for north of £200m, you've gotta really go some to make your net spend high after that. 

Almost like selling Kante, Drinkwater, Big H and Chillwell. To think :D

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Im sure that some of the bigger wages they’ve had to pay new signings and also some new contracts they’ve given out have upset the dressing room a bit.  That small percentage drop in effort can make a big difference when you’re losing by the odd goal ....

Doesn't say much for his man management does it?

I was generally impressed by their football - it wasn’t hoof ball and they worked the play up the pitch intelligently whilst maintaining a strong physical input.  should have given him what he wanted to get them back up - it’s not like he would be able to spaff big money on summer signings ......

A £45M net spend in 19-20 doesn't say much for his recruitment either.  And net spend is meaningful here, because these were not players they will be able to unload when they go down.

4 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Doesn't say much for his man management does it?

A £45M net spend in 19-20 doesn't say much for his recruitment either.  And net spend is meaningful here, because these were not players they will be able to unload when they go down.

Absolutely correct but he isn’t going to have a summer budget so he can’t make poor choices on overspending....

Honestly these ex players could audition for a Monty Python sketch.

Former Premier League defender Danny Mills has said that Liverpool should have made a move for Leicester City centre back Jonny Evans during the January transfer window, amid their defensive injury problems.

Talk about one eyed.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Former Premier League defender Danny Mills has said that Liverpool should have made a move for Leicester City centre back Jonny Evans during the January transfer window, amid their defensive injury problems.

Talk about one eyed.

Are you calling him a cock?

13 minutes ago, davieG said:

Talk about one eyed.

We were always willing to sell, too.

These people. And they get paid for it.

14 minutes ago, davieG said:

Talk about one eyed.

I've just worked out what he meant, due to our defensive injuries and Evans not being up to the job Liverpool should take him off our hands to helps us out. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

To me net spend is a joke to use as any sort of metric. When you already have quality in your ranks it skews your net spend a lot. Ours is only so low because our outgoings are so high because we're starting off on a much better footing. It's like the argument from a year or so ago that Liverpools met spend was so low. Well yeah obviously, they sold coutinho and suarez for north of £200m, you've gotta really go some to make your net spend high after that. 

But you don’t get that £200 million start without selling quality.

So a club has to spend more to replace players like Coutinho and Suarez or Kanye, Mahrez etc.

Net spend is the best way of balancing how much a club has actually spent. 

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

But you don’t get that £200 million start without selling quality.

So a club has to spend more to replace players like Coutinho and Suarez or Kanye, Mahrez etc.

Net spend is the best way of balancing how much a club has actually spent. 

Yeah but if you're coming up or making a push to greatly improve from a bad position then your net spend will be astronomically higher, at least percentage wise, as you're not replacing talent, you're (hopefully) buying proven talent and replacing relative dross.

• Like 1

BBC Sports coverage is hilarious and typifies just how biased they are. 16 updates this morning on yesterday’s games mention Spurs  (7th) and Arsenal (10th), a handful for Man Utd and West Ham, none Leicester.

However i suppose if we can slip under the radar until May and finish 3rd then it might have helped a wee bit. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sublime_Coatsworth said:

BBC Sports coverage is hilarious and typifies just how biased they are. 16 updates this morning on yesterday’s games mention Spurs  (7th) and Arsenal (10th), a handful for Man Utd and West Ham, none Leicester.

However i suppose if we can slip under the radar until May and finish 3rd then it might have helped a wee bit. 

Another way to kook at it is people expect us to be in the top 4 and a routine 5-0 win over Sheffield United isn't really newsworthy. Moyes get talked up as possible manager of the season but Rodgers doesn't get a mention in that regard. West Ham being up there is a surprise, Leicester being up there is meh....such is the quality of our squad.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2021 at 15:35, Koke said:

I agree. People found it "refreshing" that he'd call out players publicly and basically call them limited lower league cloggers. I remember he was getting praise for his "honesty".

He came out with total garbage at times like this gem. 

The bloke knows more about management than the people calling him out, he's done at numerous clubs and got them over achieving due to having a group of players that will play for him. Big fan of Wilder and fair play to him, the blokes been. The players obviously respect him a lot, you could see Billy Sharp was gutted in his post match interview yesterday.

I don't blame the bloke for being wound up by people that haven't achieved half of what he has questioning his methods 

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

The bloke knows more about management than the people calling him out, he's done at numerous clubs and got them over achieving due to having a group of players that will play for him. Big fan of Wilder and fair play to him, the blokes been. The players obviously respect him a lot, you could see Billy Sharp was gutted in his post match interview yesterday.

I don't blame the bloke for being wound up by people that haven't achieved half of what he has questioning his methods 

I'll remind you of that next time you have a pop at Rodgers :ph34r:

He undoubtedly did a superb job there on the whole but I don't think you need to be a certified managerial genius to know that telling the world how shit your players are and how it's all their fault isn't a great idea, as it wasn't when Lampard started doing it at Chelsea. I'm sure there's a time and a place for a bit of good old fashioned "telling it like it is" but there's probably a case for keeping your brutal honesty behind closed doors and trying something a bit less belittling in public.

If it's true that the beginning of the end was him getting rattled at the prospect of working under a director of football I really don't think he's got a leg to stand on given the absolute state of their recruitment over the past couple of years. They've spent about £60m on forwards and they're still relying on 50-year-old Billy Sharp to lead the line.

• Like 2

Net spend is a useful measure and certainly better than a simple gross calculation, but when people are talking about spending and spending power they often forget about wages. 

The wage factor is: wages as a %age of turnover. Ours is one of the highest in the league, although I suspect it will be high for a team like Sheffield United. I think this is a good measure of sustainability. That’s why we can’t just go out and sign £60m players as we’d have to pay them a wage that is commensurate with that value player. 

Often with clubs outside the rich six they’ve got to balance high wages against high transfer fees. I think a lot of teams similar in size to us get the balance wrong. They pay big transfer fees for average players.

I’d much rather be a team that shop around a bit, but pay big bucks to players that achieve. That’s what we tend to do, but the trade off is that we’re not often in the market for the highest cost players. 

Sheffield United are a classic case of paying high transfer fees for players who just aren’t good enough and have little room for development 

30 minutes ago, Guest said:

I'll remind you of that next time you have a pop at Rodgers :ph34r:

He undoubtedly did a superb job there on the whole but I don't think you need to be a certified managerial genius to know that telling the world how shit your players are and how it's all their fault isn't a great idea, as it wasn't when Lampard started doing it at Chelsea. I'm sure there's a time and a place for a bit of good old fashioned "telling it like it is" but there's probably a case for keeping your brutal honesty behind closed doors and trying something a bit less belittling in public.

If it's true that the beginning of the end was him getting rattled at the prospect of working under a director of football I really don't think he's got a leg to stand on given the absolute state of their recruitment over the past couple of years. They've spent about £60m on forwards and they're still relying on 50-year-old Billy Sharp to lead the line.

If Rodgers wants to have a pop at me and tell me why I'm wrong whenever I question him then that would be fine by me :D

We'll start with why Perez was chosen over Iheanacho to start up top for 3 games :p

On Christty Wilder, all I know is he's overachieved at every club he's been at and I believe this is the first time a team of his has done worse than the previous season. People questioning his man management when it's clearly one of his best attributes is ridiculous. He obviously fills his teams with strong characters and that's why they can handle and respond well to his style.

I'm confident he goes to another club and has success again, he's a winner and always leaves a team in a better state then when he joined. I'd love to work under someone like him to be honest. No messing around, he's fair and is honest, two things you love in a boss.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Sublime_Coatsworth said:

I swear there are pundits that do not actually look at the league table between August and May. In their heads, the top six are an immovable force and the teams sitting in 7-20 have either "have had one good season" (and should obviously now cash in and sell their entire opening XI to the top 6), or are in a relegation battle and will "find it a struggle". 

Not all, though. There is some really insightful stuff out there, from tactics to scouting and about the background to individual players and what is going on at clubs etc. But the good stuff is more in the written media, or on radio.

I get the feeling that you have to fail an IQ test ("Right, point at Scotland on this map, please. Yep, that's Australia. You're in.") to get on TV these days. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

A certain Chris Sutton on the BBC Monday Night Club podcast was particularly complimentary of us. *I think this is the right link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ctvmw

Some of these BBC football discussion programmes do have the occasional bits of interest. I've steered clear recently as you have to wade through all the usual non-stop guff about a certain 6 clubs. My wireless nearly went through the kitchen window on Sunday during the latest episode of the Squad when one of the participants declared that no team in world football could cope with the amount of injuries sustained by Liverpool. And it wasn't challenged by others.