Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

5 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Doesn't mean a lot. A club like them have to pay top price for championship players whereas a club like Leicester will pay less for better players as we're a much more attractive proposition.

They could have been more shrewd though.  They're not gonna get a Timmy Castagne level of player but wasting over £100m on garbage is poor.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

They could have been more shrewd though.  They're not gonna get a Timmy Castagne level of player but wasting over £100m on garbage is poor.

you're better off doing a West Brom (from years ago) or Norwich, if you cant get who you want / need. Don't waste the cash on Brewsters etc and accept you go down - but come back richer

13 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

you're better off doing a West Brom (from years ago) or Norwich, if you cant get who you want / need. Don't waste the cash on Brewsters etc and accept you go down - but come back richer

They did finish 9th tbf, so I don’t think ‘not spending’ like a newly promoted team would be acceptable.

5 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

They did finish 9th tbf, so I don’t think ‘not spending’ like a newly promoted team would be acceptable.

I get what you mean, but you cant just spend money because you feel obligated to, and whoever was in charge of transfers at SUFC, this it what it looked like

40 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

I get what you mean, but you cant just spend money because you feel obligated to, and whoever was in charge of transfers at SUFC, this it what it looked like

Tbh, we could have easily be relegated in 2017 having spent £30m on slimani, £17m on Musca etc, thankfully we weren’t but the club obviously thought they were progressive signings, as I’m sure the Sheffield U board did.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Tbh, we could have easily be relegated in 2017 having spent £30m on slimani, £17m on Musca etc, thankfully we weren’t but the club obviously thought they were progressive signings, as I’m sure the Sheffield U board did.

agree mate, and our signings from this window were in exactly the same bracket of needing to spend money on 'someone' with no real thought

Edited by ParkerPen

Has anyone thought about the long term injuries they’ve had to their better players?  They don’t have a deep squad. 

up until it was too late to survive, they hadn’t really been hammered and were in a lot of games (reminded me of us in 14/15)

Im sure that some of the bigger wages they’ve had to pay new signings and also some new contracts they’ve given out have upset the dressing room a bit.  That small percentage drop in effort can make a big difference when you’re losing by the odd goal ....

I was generally impressed by their football - it wasn’t hoof ball and they worked the play up the pitch intelligently whilst maintaining a strong physical input.  should have given him what he wanted to get them back up - it’s not like he would be able to spaff big money on summer signings ......

Just now, st albans fox said:

Has anyone thought about the long term injuries they’ve had to their better players?  They don’t have a deep squad. 

Best player is O’Connell and he’s been out all year. Decent on the ball for a CB - Sheff U fans reckon the left side of defence was the start of the problem. 

I actually don’t think the striker fees or players are necessarily the problem - that’s always a struggle for any non big six club, trying to get an affordable striker. We’ve got three examples ourselves of strikers who’ve misfired here after decent transfer fees. 

Their worst signing is Ramsdale in goal. He’s absolutely diabolical. A good bit of scouting abroad or even if a no 2 from another PL club would have fitted better. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He’s already scored against us this season ..... the lack of appreciation of karma on here is astonishing .........

Only goal he’s scored in the league too. Given we’ve had Vydra and Lallana score against us in recent weeks whom had 12 month goal less streaks before that 

17 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

That was a game where, I'm led to believe, CR decided to change the formation in the hour before the game and the players, who'd been working on something all week, suddenly had to completely alter their thinking.

I would bet that would be that ridiculous diamond we played away at Southampton. Don't think i've ever seen a City side get so comprehensively beaten by an out of form side before.

I vow it won't keep annoying me but when it happens, it does.

During half time in last night's Newcastle v Villa match, 5live were talking about who'll finish in the top four.

Man C are a given of course and they felt Man U are. So, who's getting the other two places?

They then spent some time discussing the merits of: Chelsea, Spurs, West Ham, Everton and even Arsenal.

Mmmm, I think they just about covered it

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Best player is O’Connell and he’s been out all year. Decent on the ball for a CB - Sheff U fans reckon the left side of defence was the start of the problem. 

I actually don’t think the striker fees or players are necessarily the problem - that’s always a struggle for any non big six club, trying to get an affordable striker. We’ve got three examples ourselves of strikers who’ve misfired here after decent transfer fees. 

Their worst signing is Ramsdale in goal. He’s absolutely diabolical. A good bit of scouting abroad or even if a no 2 from another PL club would have fitted better. 

He's tried to keep the core of their squad as British as possible. I know that was a thing foe wilder so can only assume that's what peaked his interest in Ramsdale. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Ramsdale started off having a bit of a nightmare but had probably been their best player in recent weeks/months. I think he's turning into a decent keeper and has started cutting out the mistakes, generally speaking. Whether it lasts is another matter entirely.

Edited by ALC Fox