Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bourbon Fox

Calm Down

7 hours ago, trabuch said:

I had to come to the calm thread, because neither am I. We've got bigger fish to fry. There will come a time when we watch Man U, Spurs and Arsenal battling it out for this fairly forgettable trophy (unless you are Newcastle) and ultimately failing, and we'll be very grateful we don't have all that to go through.  I'll be cheering Man U on by the way.

I mean where do you start with posts like this? lol 

This place is unreal.

6 hours ago, honeybradger said:

I would be very very happy if we won the europa league tbf but maybe that's just me, it's a european trophy ffs.

People slating it would be talking it up and celebrating it if we made the final or won it. I don't know if it's just people finding comfort in defeat by downplaying it or what, but I genuinely can't get my head around the reactions to going out on here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Not that bothered, strangely.

I’m exactly the same . I hate any City defeat but I think I was more bothered going out of the Carabou so early ( at the time) and would definitely take an FACup semi over this tie . It’s strange though, I agree , and clearly not the popular view . I want us as high as possible in the league which would take us into the CL which would engage me 

59 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

People slating it would be talking it up and celebrating it if we made the final or won it. I don't know if it's just people finding comfort in defeat by downplaying it or what, but I genuinely can't get my head around the reactions to going out on here.

I think all but the most optimistic fan understands it is a tough competition to win and we had a very slim chance this year. Obviously isn't impossible but it was going to be tough and detrimental to our season to continue playing every Thursday and compete in the final. That would be true of any season, but this season more than any it is so tough to manage all the extra games and it is a credit to BR and the boys that we have managed so well. Truth is we looked knackered in both legs and 2nd half vs Villa. We are in danger of letting a great position in the league slip again. 

I'm gutted we lost, I hate losing, but better now than in the final.

The people saying they're fine about us not going for the Europa league are the same ones that were saying 'at least we're still in Europe' last season when we bottled top 4. If we do the same this season I don't wanna hear anyone bigging up the Europa league as we're fine about throwing it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bourbon Fox said:

No glory for second place was my point.

Going out of this European comp is not the end of 'le monde' 

Shall we sack the league off? Play kids against Man United in the cup? I'm genuinely interested because of course there is no glory for second place but if you don't compete then genuinely what is the point of the sport in general.

We could well go out of Europe next year if we make it so is it all about making money? Do fans want to see their team compete as best they can in every tournament even if that means being runners up, or do they want top 4 investment? I know I'd personally sooner settle for something like Arsenal winning the FA cup recently and going further in this year's Europa than say Spurs not winning anything but having top 4 bragging rights a couple of seasons ago which is soon history and not success.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Shall we sack the league off? Play kids against Man United in the cup? I'm genuinely interested because of course there is no glory for second place but if you don't compete then genuinely what is the point of the sport in general.

We could well go out of Europe next year if we make it so is it all about making money? Do fans want to see their team compete as best they can in every tournament even if that means being runners up, or do they want top 4 investment? I know I'd personally sooner settle for something like Arsenal winning the FA cup recently and going further in this year's Europa than say Spurs not winning anything but having top 4 bragging rights a couple of seasons ago which is soon history and not success.

You're saying that like we played a weakened team, we played as strong a team as we could in both legs whilst managing injuries and suspensions (Nacho). Nobody was calling for a weakened team everyone wanted to win last night you could see the frustration in the players towards the end. 

We were just out performed by a team high on confidence cruising their league and able to rest 7 players in the build up. 

Nobody is happy we lost, but looking on the bright side we have a lot more recovery time and no long trips round the continent managing various quarantine restrictions and the stress and strain of travel during a pandemic. It also reaffirmed the fact our squad is not deep enough to manage competing on 4 fronts. If we want to be a top 4 side we need a top 4 mentality and deep squad to rotate rest and recover without weakening our first 11.

I think the worst thing that could have happened is scraping through last night despite playing crap and then dragging ourselves to the next round to get dumped out.

Obviously best case scenario would have been to breeze through the first leg and then rest players for the second feel all fresh and confident for the next round, but Slavia Prague didn't play ball.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sdb said:

I'm less gutted than I expected to be. Our season has gone from 16-23  games to 14-16...or something very similar to that! Given we have a squad of probably 16 good enough players to play regularly, and 5 of them are injured, it might be for the best.

I'm surprised given how rare european competition is for us, but football history is littered with great sides that lost all momentum under the pressure of so many games, at this time of the season.

At least the FA Cup is only one leg per round, even though I think progress in the EL was a greater prize for us.

Look at it this way. We have many fewer excuses now NOT to finish in the top 4. If we fail to do so then going out against Slavia like a bunch of limp lettuce will rankle a lot more.

If, however, we embrace the potential freedom this gives us, then we can move on delirious with a CL spot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

I’m exactly the same . I hate any City defeat but I think I was more bothered going out of the Carabou so early ( at the time) and would definitely take an FACup semi over this tie . It’s strange though, I agree , and clearly not the popular view . I want us as high as possible in the league which would take us into the CL which would engage me 

If we now had nothing to play for, like Arsenal would be if they had gone out, it would be totally gutting.

Some of our top 4 rivals will now play a lot more football than us, which is the kind of edge I am grateful for, so there is a big silver lining to a very disappointing night.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

The Match Threads have always revealed the underbelly of this forum but lately, some of the responses and behaviour have increasingly gone from simply amusingly bizarre to at times outright disturbing. I understand the appeal for calm, in the sense of measured, rational responses and appraisals following yesterday's disappointment but it's football ffs and ultimately entertainment (although I do concede, to a City fan, that was sadly lacking last night). There are so many threats, more than enough anger, volatility, uncertainty and conflict, in the 21st century - football is an escape and for me, the insane journey, fortunes and losses of Leicester City FC - an odyssey since I started supporting them as a kid. Back then, there certainly wasn't the exciting and prosperous future that younger generations of supporters can look forward to now. I supported Leicester because they were shit...the underdogs. I don't even come from here ffs. But that was the appeal...and it has made our riches, well...feel even richer and I'm grateful for every minute of the ride to see us where we are today - I don't take a thing for granted, which is also my maxim for life. 

The unhinged anger, the fury on these match threads - it really leaves me wondering what goes on behind the scenes, whether at worse, it's a foot through the TV, or worryingly something more. Yeah, Brendan took a needless calculated risk. As many have pointed out, Tielemans is not a number 10, to play him in an advanced role upsets the entire fulcrum of the side. He needs to operate alongside Wilf, no different (Kante to Drinky). Last night's gulf between the MF and Vardy - (whilst on taking things for granted) - had me reflecting on what a great servant and asset  Andy King had been for this club. Most of the ire stems from the frustration that it wasn't our best side with our contingency on the bench. We contained Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City - so we can equally do it a club that are Championship level at best without committing our full resources and pull the pin late if necessary. In the event the changes were effected so late that it was more like a damp squib. Such reactionary/conservative tactics with an away goal rule is asking for trouble when you find yourself chasing a game. It should never have come to that. 

We lost, unnecessarily - but honestly? we weren't about to win it this year and we will be back. Again and again. The fact I can say that with confidence is something to celebrate, because after our defeat by Red Star Belgrade 21 years ago, I genuinely doubted that I'd ever see City in European competition again in my lifetime. 

Top four and Champions League football is the sole focus, with the unfinished business of the FA Cup a nice sub plot. disappointing, but **** me, in the time I've supported City I've learnt to live with it. I'd moved on by the time I'd turned the lights out and gone up to bed...already relishing the thought of dispatching the Gunners at home this Sunday. 

Up the City!

I have avoided match threads for a while now, check it at the start for the line ups and reactions to the line up is normally enough to drive me away. Even if everyone is feeling positive I'd rather just focus on the game, especially now they are all on telly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

No. 

In fact now we're out of the Europa we're much more likely to succeed in the cup and the league because we're not fighting on every conceivable front.

I'm not saying I don't want to win, I'm saying let's not lose our heads because a weakened side lost last night and exited the Europa League.

To suggest that Rodgers is an idiot or the team is an embarrassment is an overreaction, and there was plenty of that about last night.