Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Sheffield United Home Sunday 14th March 2.00pm Sky Sports

On 08/03/2021 at 15:08, hackneyfox said:

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Saturday that's a week, a week is seven days.

If we played Sunday, Wednesday, Sunday that's 8 days not 7.

Gentlemen, Gentlemen let's, just say we played alot of games in a short period of time, it negates the reason to argue about numbers of days in a week 👍

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

We have to win this game, and hopefully Brendan knows it. There will be no excuses. Failing to beat one of the worst PL sides ever at home when we're chasing the top 4 will be a clear indication to all and sundry that we're cracking under the pressure and will surely put doubts in the players minds. Result is all important for once, a 1-0 with 2% possession and no shots on target is fine.

22 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah I'm not sure even the "pErSpEcTiVe" brigade could cover anything other than a win this weekend. 

I don't disagree that it's an important game, and that, on paper it's a 'winnable' one. But just to play devil's advocate - what if we lose 0-4 vs Sheffield, and then pick up the required points in the other 9 matches? 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Vazman said:

Gentlemen, Gentlemen let's, just say we played alot of games in a short period of time, it negates the reason to argue about numbers of days in a week 👍

Working from home and thought I'd come on and see what high brow chat we were debating over today... foxestalk you have done your bit! Thank you!

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I don't disagree that it's an important game, and that, on paper it's a 'winnable' one. But just to play devil's advocate - what if we lose 0-4 vs Sheffield, and then pick up the required points in the other 9 matches? 

Any way we can get over the line for CL, whether we get it because all the other teams below us choke, is fine, its just about getting it in the bag.

What are the odds of us getting tonked by Sheff Utd and having the confidence and belief to go on and get results in the subsequent games? Very low. It would show we can't handle pressure games. And also, the teams below us will be smelling blood.

So its vitally important we win this one, more for squad belief and confidence and perception of Leicester rather than the points on the board.

• Like 3

I'm not sure you'd find a single LCFC fan not expecting a win on Sunday - I think it almost goes without saying. Unfortunately, sometimes strange things happen. Fortunately, I think it's unlikely on this occasion, and I'm also sure that the vast majority would be hugely disappointed with anything other than a win. 

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Then great, but it's probably not going to happen hence why we need to pick up the points and give ourselves as good a chance as possible come the final three games. Not exactly controversial is it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

.. then it becomes added pressure on the remaining games!!!

Guest Bert Fill
2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm not sure you'd find a single LCFC fan not expecting a win on Sunday - I think it almost goes without saying. Unfortunately, sometimes strange things happen. Fortunately, I think it's unlikely on this occasion, and I'm also sure that the vast majority would be hugely disappointed with anything other than a win. 

Well I’m an LCFC fan and I’m not expecting a win!

I never expect us to win though, to be fair.

I am hoping for a win, and I even think it’s possible - but expecting? Nope. I think it’ll be a 1-1 draw.

Just now, Bert Fill said:

Well I’m an LCFC fan and I’m not expecting a win!

I never expect us to win though, to be fair.

I am hoping for a win, and I even think it’s possible - but expecting? Nope. I think it’ll be a 1-1 draw.

As is your absolute right, sir. However, I think that reflects ingrained pessimism rather than reasonable expectation! :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Any way we can get over the line for CL, whether we get it because all the other teams below us choke, is fine, its just about getting it in the bag.

What are the odds of us getting tonked by Sheff Utd and having the confidence and belief to go on and get results in the subsequent games? Very low. It would show we can't handle pressure games. And also, the teams below us will be smelling blood.

So its vitally important we win this one, more for squad belief and confidence and perception of Leicester rather than the points on the board.

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Then great, but it's probably not going to happen hence why we need to pick up the points and give ourselves as good a chance as possible come the final three games. Not exactly controversial is it.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. then it becomes added pressure on the remaining games!!!

I'm not disputing the importance of the fixture. Or the benefits of winning. Or the costs of losing. 

I just reject the deterministically incorrect use of the term 'must win'. The reality is we almost certainly need 13-15 more points to finish 4th. Points are points. It doesn't matter where we get them from. 

Yes there is a case to be made that we have some games that are easier than others, and that with our current squad/injury situation that it's more likely we pick up points in the Sheffield, West Ham, West Brom, Palace, Soton, Newcastle games than the Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Spurs games. 

But we know in any season, let alone this one with its many twists and turns, that anyone can beat anyone. So it just seems reductionist to say "X fixture is must win" when we know we just simply need a specific points total, accrued from any of the 10 remaining fixtures. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

We really need a dominant performance in this as well as the win. The lads need some confidence back, we seem to be relying on luck and individual moments of class at the minute, which is not at all sustainable.

Seems to have been pretty sustainable for Ole and Man United

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

What are the odds of us getting tonked by Sheff Utd and having the confidence and belief to go on and get results in the subsequent games? Very low. It would show we can't handle pressure games. And also, the teams below us will be smelling blood. So its vitally important we win this one, more for squad belief and confidence and perception of Leicester rather than the points on the board.

I've read a lot about 'momentum' on these pages and in the press. My buzz word would be consistency - which, with the inordinate number of injuries and the concurrency of some of those injuries, has been a difficult condition to maintain. I believe Rodgers, although far from perfect, has inculcated such a team spirit in these lads, that they're able to be consistent even with the enforced squad changes they've had to adapt to.

Are there any games other than pressure ones when we're aiming for a CL place and an FA Cup? We got stuffed by two teams who hadn't been in our irksome injury situation, yet we've endured these upsets and, when it looked iffy, found the necessary play and goals to keep our position.

The Leeds and Arsenal games (and Man United vs Man City) showed that nothing is certain when teams have something to compete for - even if it's solely pride. The teams below us in the table might be "smelling blood" but the greasy pole exists for them too.

The important thing is that squad players have the wisdom and acceptance that it's never going to be the ideal XI. Justin had become a totemic player for us and then gets a knee injury - out of bad plant. Barnes ditto. And when those automatic choices return to fitness, then the team is rejigged yet again and has to adapt.

The important things are never to take any game for granted and to adapt tactics, formation or team to counter the other fellas. In the run in these qualities will be of vital importance.

• Thanks 1

Rogers will have a full week with the team that will start against Sheffield. This is massive! We've not had this opportunity since god knows when as games haven coming thick and fast. I hope the team are motivated as hell to come out firing from the start so we can get some early goals in to ease nerves. Every player needs to stand up and take ownership. Big Dan did last week and we've given him some serious flack. Each individual needs to show how much their individual performance means to the collective. Cags is one I wanna see show more improvement and command like we know he can from the back. N'didi can deliver too. 

A confident display and win this weekend and we can prepare for the manu game with high spirits. Perez has been out for a while but if he plays I hope he plays like he has something to prove. Mental strength and high confidence needed. Hope Brendan motivates and sets us up to succeed. I would much prefer the 'masterclass' thread re-appear than the 'ever obliging' one.

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Yes there is a case to be made that we have some games that are easier than others, and that with our current squad/injury situation that it's more likely we pick up points in the Sheffield, West Ham, West Brom, Palace, Soton, Newcastle games than the Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Spurs games. 

But we know in any season, let alone this one with its many twists and turns, that anyone can beat anyone. So it just seems reductionist to say "X fixture is must win" when we know we just simply need a specific points total, accrued from any of the 10 remaining fixtures. 

I find this attitude incredibly weird lol if you fancy being a bookie I'll come out of retirement to gamble with you haha.

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I find this attitude incredibly weird lol 

Care to elaborate? 

• There's 30 points available
  • We need 12-15 points to finish 4th

How anyone can claim with certainty that the game vs Sheffield will determine if we finish 4th or not is beyond me

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Care to elaborate? 

How anyone can claim with certainty that the game vs Sheffield will determine if we finish 4th or not is beyond me

You are correct nothing is a given, but if we didnt look too see where points are for the taking, we wouldn't be able to makè slightly better informed predictions, I think based on form, of late, its fair too say we have a marginley better chance of getting a point / points from Sheffield United than Man City for instance, I think that's a fair comment but as you say not a given 

5 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Care to elaborate? 

From what I can gather, you are in theory attributing an equal chance of victory in our remaining 10 fixtures. If we fail to pick up the points against the weaker teams then it's not an issue as we can pick them up against better teams. 

The term "must win" probably annoys people who are more logical then creative, but it doesn't have a binary meaning. People use it to describe important games as it's a well known phrase and used in footballing circles. This is a must win for me as it anything else will absolutely plummet confidence and I don't think we're mentally strong enough to come back from something like that.

If you're just being literal, then of course it's not mathematically done, there's still 27 more points available. That's not really making much of a point though, that's just stating a fact. The more I type, the more I think this is just another semantics thing, like when people can't agree on what "world class" or "bang average"  is because they have different definitions of those words and phrases.

• Thanks 1