Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Sheffield United Home Sunday 14th March 2.00pm Sky Sports

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

From what I can gather, you are in theory attributing an equal chance of victory in our remaining 10 fixtures. If we fail to pick up the points against the weaker teams then it's not an issue as we can pick them up against better teams. 

The term "must win" probably annoys people who are more logical then creative, but it doesn't have a binary meaning. People use it to describe important games as it's a well known phrase and used in footballing circles. This is a must win for me as it anything else will absolutely plummet confidence and I don't think we're mentally strong enough to come back from something like that.

If you're just being literal, then of course it's not mathematically done, there's still 27 more points available. That's not really making much of a point though, that's just stating a fact. The more I type, the more I think this is just another semantics thing, like when people can't agree on what "world class" or "bang average"  is because they have different definitions of those words and phrases.

Yes it's absolutely that. As I said in earlier comments, I reject the deterministic nature of the term and the fact that it's a reductionist way of looking at things and it leaves little room for nuance or accounting for what else could happen, in a sport that we know in its very nature is low scoring and throws up random and unexpected results all the time. 

I have never disputed the importance of the Sheffield game, the benefits of winning it or the costs of losing it. I just simply don't think our whole season hinges on it. It's true that we could look back to it after the fact and say 'that's where it all went wrong' but anything prior to that is simply adding narrative where it doesn't belong. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Care to elaborate? 

• There's 30 points available
  • We need 12-15 points to finish 4th

How anyone can claim with certainty that the game vs Sheffield will determine if we finish 4th or not is beyond me

I'm not going to torture myself with checking this thread after every game, but I thank you a lot for the effort and intelligence you've brought to the subject @Les-TA-Jon!

My (entirely unscientifically arrived at) best guesstimate is that 70 points would secure 4th, 68/69 might. We don't disagree by much, if at all. But I'm worried that your 68 point target is getting softer by the day! Two hours ago you said 13-15 more points, and now 12-15 (yes, it would be handy if I worked out how to insert multiple quotes). 65 points getting 4th, the way our rivals are playing? That's surely very unlikely. 

Just now, Les-TA-Jon said:

Yes it's absolutely that. As I said in earlier comments, I reject the deterministic nature of the term and the fact that it's a reductionist way of looking at things and it leaves little room for nuance or accounting for what else could happen, in a sport that we know in its very nature is low scoring and throws up random and unexpected results all the time. 

I have never disputed the importance of the Sheffield game, the benefits of winning it or the costs of losing it. I just simply don't think our whole season hinges on it. It's true that we could look back to it after the fact and say 'that's where it all went wrong' but anything prior to that is simply adding narrative where it doesn't belong. 

For me I hate saying things in hindsight, I'd rather make my predictions and if I'm wrong I'm wrong. It feels incredibly good to correctly predict something as well :D (this might explain why I got addicted to gambling haha) The narrative and building stuff up is part of the enjoyment of football for me, it's what gives you that tense feeling minutes before kick off. The massive swinging of emotions during a game. The incredible highs and lows.

I do see where you're coming from though mate. Like you say, we could lose to blades then win our next 5. It still won't stop me feeling sick at the full time whistle if we've lost though haha

• Thanks 1

Just now, filbertway said:

For me I hate saying things in hindsight, I'd rather make my predictions and if I'm wrong I'm wrong. It feels incredibly good to correctly predict something as well :D (this might explain why I got addicted to gambling haha) The narrative and building stuff up is part of the enjoyment of football for me, it's what gives you that tense feeling minutes before kick off. The massive swinging of emotions during a game. The incredible highs and lows.

I do see where you're coming from though mate. Like you say, we could lose to blades then win our next 5. It still won't stop me feeling sick at the full time whistle if we've lost though haha

Me too - I just try to reserve it for during a match!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I'm not going to torture myself with checking this thread after every game, but I thank you a lot for the effort and intelligence you've brought to the subject @Les-TA-Jon!

My (entirely unscientifically arrived at) best guesstimate is that 70 points would secure 4th, 68/69 might. We don't disagree by much, if at all. But I'm worried that your 68 point target is getting softer by the day! Two hours ago you said 13-15 more points, and now 12-15 (yes, it would be handy if I worked out how to insert multiple quotes). 65 points getting 4th, the way our rivals are playing? That's surely very unlikely. 

Check out my thread in my signature. 

68 points is the average required for 4th. From looking at all the points required by the top 10 and how many points they can afford to drop, 65-68 points seems likely

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gurru991 said:

Who sits if Evans is healthy ?

Three very good CB's !!!

...good question, but Fofana needs to curb his impetuous nature and that only works with Evans in attendance!!!

He was going rogue in the last game and having Soyuncu with him was not the personnel required to reign him in.

• Like 3

On 09/03/2021 at 08:54, sacreblueits442 said:

...so sayeth.....the Messiah!!!

Nb.

Previously responded to...late to the party again!!

Someone translate this into English please?

Edit: Ah right I see, autocorrect joke. 

Edited by Manwell Pablo

Don't get why Amartey is being ridiculed.  He has served the team fantastically.  He has done his job as a valuable squad member.  If he plays on Sunday, he will, in all likelihood, give another good performance.  He is our 4th choice centre back on merit.  He is possibly the best 4th choice centre back in the league.  Some clubs would be pleased to have him in their first eleven.  

• Like 4

Flat 442 for me....   Gags if Evans isn't fit. 

Kasper

Castagne      Fofana    Evans      Thomas

Ricardo    Tielemans   Ndidi    Albrighton

Ihneacho    Vardy

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Flat 442 for me....   Gags if Evans isn't fit. 

Kasper

Castagne      Fofana    Evans      Thomas

Ricardo    Tielemans   Ndidi    Albrighton

Ihneacho    Vardy

It would be no laughing matter....or does the prospect make you feel sick? :) 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He came on as second half sub at Spurs?  He is a good defender when we’re defending deep ...... but when we have to make the running he isn’t the best .....

He's a solid 4th choice CB, we're riddled with injuries and he's contributing to the cause. Fair play to him, absolutely love thr bloke for coming back from being in the wilderness for 2 years. He knows his place in this squad and his attitude is spot on. At times like this, he's exactly the sort of character we are fortunate to have to call upon.

That said, I do not enjoy seeing him at right back 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Who sits if Evans is healthy ?

Three very good CB's !!!

for me, id start Soyuncu and Evans from the 3 we have.... most solid pairing when played together

Don't get me wrong, Fofana is excellent, but I feel these two are a more steady partnership