Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Royal Family

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

To be honest, I tweeted the wrong one. It was more to do with the story she's quoting. 

I've lost count of the amount of people that have asked me 'where are you really from?' in my life. And to hear it still happen in a place like Buckingham Palace is shocking. 

I don't know about the Dr or her background. 

I don’t see what’s wrong with asking someone what their ethnic origins are as it opens up potential areas of conversation 

To have it asked before you know someone is pretty ignorant 

Seems the aide asked where did this lady come from which appears to be a fairly harmless question but maybe depends on the tone and way it’s asked .

And well obviously serious enough for there to be a resignation and the Palace accepting it

Edited by Super_horns

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I don’t see what’s wrong with asking someone what their ethnic origins are as it opens up potential areas of conversation 

To have it asked before you know someone is pretty ignorant 

7 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Seems the aide asked where did this lady come from which appears to be a fairly harmless question but maybe depends on the tone and way it’s asked .

And well obviously serious enough for there to be a resignation and the Palace accepting it

If you see the dialogue of conversation it's more than just asking where they're from... 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, StanSP said:

To be honest, I tweeted the wrong one. It was more to do with the story she's quoting. 

I've lost count of the amount of people that have asked me 'where are you really from?' in my life. And to hear it still happen in a place like Buckingham Palace is shocking. 

I don't know about the Dr or her background. 

Anyway - is it Bedford ? 

6 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Royal household in overt racism shocker.

Where was all this righteous indignation and foot stamping when Philip was asking if African natives still 'chucked spears at each other'. The media just referred to him as having a 'sharp wit' or whatever. 

He was absolved because he was an old codger - think the major in faulty towers ….. (doesn’t excuse it though) 

9 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Where was all this righteous indignation and foot stamping when Philip was asking if African natives still 'chucked spears at each other'. The media just referred to him as having a 'sharp wit' or whatever. 

There was some indignation among those determined to be offended, but I think most people recognised that it was a fair question to ask of a native Australian (not African) who had been doing a demonstration of spear throwing.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-03/prince-philip-was-not-a-racist-indigenous-performer-says/9504278

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He was absolved because he was an old codger - think the major in faulty towers ….. (doesn’t excuse it though) 

https://www.insider.com/prince-philip-long-history-racist-problematic-language-2021-4

He wasn't always old. Yet the BBC fawned over his 'wry wit' or whatever garbage they threw up to excuse their deference to institutional racism.

1 minute ago, dsr-burnley said:

There was some indignation among those determined to be offended, but I think most people recognised that it was a fair question to ask of a native Australian (not African) who had been doing a demonstration of spear throwing.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-03/prince-philip-was-not-a-racist-indigenous-performer-says/9504278

Ah. I've got that slightly wrong. My memory isn't what it once was. I've posted a link to his long history of racism, however. 

I'm not 'determined to be offended'. I just think that we're at a point in society where we shouldn't be racist or allow people to be racist. And he was a racist who said racist things and got away with it under the guise of a sense of humour or whatever. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Probably had a greater reaction had twitter been invented at the time.

Just now, Tuna said:

Probably had a greater reaction had twitter been invented at the time.

You could have run a Prince Philip parody account that would have been confused with the two, definitely.

But what do I know. I'm just indignant and desperate to be offended by overt racism or whatever.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with asking someone where they're from. At an international conference, for example, it would be very reasonable.

The first problem here is the assuming that because she's black she obviously isn't from Britain.

The second (and worse? It seems worse to me, but as someone who, being white, would never be asked where I was really from, I might be wrong) problem is the insisting that she isn't really from Britain. Because she's black.

If people who looked like me were always being asked whether my 'people' came from Scandinavia or what is now northern Germany, maybe it would be less of an issue?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with asking someone where they're from. At an international conference, for example, it would be very reasonable.

The first problem here is the assuming that because she's black she obviously isn't from Britain.

The second (and worse? It seems worse to me, but as someone who, being white, would never be asked where I was really from, I might be wrong) problem is the insisting that she isn't really from Britain. Because she's black.

If people who looked like me were always being asked whether my 'people' came from Scandinavia or what is now northern Germany, maybe it would be less of an issue?

By taking away my second line, you sort of took away the context of what I posted.

2 hours ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Is this you? Where are you from?

We're in a negative thought pattern!' Can Sam Ryder bring Eurovision glory  back to the UK? | Music | The Guardian

Oh, Maldon, Essex. 

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Is this you? Where are you from?

We're in a negative thought pattern!' Can Sam Ryder bring Eurovision glory  back to the UK? | Music | The Guardian

Oh, Maldon, Essex. 

I thought he was from space? :unsure:

NB, I really hate that song.

Crappest space man ever that uses his navigation system to look for signs of life. What's that all about?

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

• 1 year later...
41 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Both the King and The Princess of Wales are in hospital for 'minor' surgeries.

Circumcision for him and a few stitches to tighten a certain private area for her so the Prince doesn't feel inadequate. :thumbup:

22 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Charles’s proctologist will probably get a medal 

One of the few occasions where I would have no issue with the award of an honour 

Unless the surgeon is one of those "darkies". :ph34r: