Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Royal Family

Proud to say I've avoided almost ALL of the "celebrations" over the last few days thanks to a mates wedding.

Even going for a run which will make sure I have an afternoon nap, instead of having to watch any of it on the telly!!!

18 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I'd rather she did a 'Rod'. 

The absolute star of the show though was Craig David's agent. 'I mean' - how the hell he managed to pull that off. 

Thanks for the shout out, much appreciated.

Did Craig David piss himself on stage?.

42 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Begrudgingly half watched this concert thingy with some friends and to be fair, it turned out to be a memorable evening of farcical comic entertainment. Some random observations:

Just as I was willing Brian May to fall through a skylight on the roof of Buckingham Palace in 2002, I was rather hoping that twenty years later, his somewhat underwhelming appearance in comparison on a hydraulic lift would grind to a juddering halt just as his ludicrous poodle barnet came into view. Step aside Adam Lambert, this Sam Ryder bloke's got you sussed. Roger Taylor looked absolutely ****ed after that, there was surely someone waiting in the wings with an oxygen bottle. Six miles away in his Putney residence, John Deacon was no doubt cringing at his former bandmates lack of dignity if indeed he was even aware of this nonsense at all or gave an actual **** in the first place.

What else?...Some bloke with a huge Jay Kay furry hat noodling about on some gadgets in a fake bedroom, then pretending to play a guitar with a sparkler on the headstock. 

Those dancers are bloody good aren't they? I'm told in some previous incarnation, they won one of these TV talent shows. Very impressive. 

Andrew Lloyd Webber seems to have transformed himself into self-styled Bond villain.

I've never heard of 'Hamilton'. I'm told it's rather big. 

Hadn't the first clue who most of these people were either, largely the glorified karaoke artists backed by the obligatory synchronised dance troupes. Talking of karaoke, how the hell the BBC could describe Rod Stewart's performance as 'energetic' is utterly beyond me. 'Arthritic' - yes. Don't these people have a shred or scintilla of self-awareness and shame? Attempting to occupy the same space as Andrea Bocelli? He should have barricaded himself in his VIP village dressing room and refused to show his face after that until everyone had gone home - or preferably been locked in prior to the performance which would have saved both us and him the embarrassment. I was rather hoping he'd dedicate a rendition of 'D'ya think I'm Sexy' to the Queen though - or even to Queen, would have sufficed. 

I find myself inhabiting a world according to Tic Toc, defined by social media 'influencers' and soundtracked by insipid artists such as, yawn...George Ezra. We had banked some time on the TIVO box and wisely deployed it to skip through his soporific seven minutes of banality. The bloke looks like an intern from a Marks & Spencer's graduate scheme ffs. At least Rod was a complete lad back in his day. 

Evidently, Tom Daley does humour like George Ezra does music. 

Spoken word? - John Cooper Clarke would have had a few interesting thoughts on proceedings. 

Duran Duran should definitely change the title of 'Notorious' to 'Laborious' - one of the most tedious riffs ever churned out in popular music. John Taylor appeared to have styled himself as Peep Show's Super Hans for this performance, but his bass playing was impeccable and at least their Roger Taylor looked like he was actually capable of  getting through the performance without narrowly averting a major cardiac arrest. Good to see Nile Rodgers up there even though you couldn't hear him. 

Alicia Keys is both classy and brilliant. What can you say? 

Elton was supposed to be there wasn't he? He did the last one, vying for top spot with Macca. I guess he would have needed a dressing room the size of Buckingham Place to contain his wardrobe, not to mention his ego and settled instead being projecting it onto it. This was billed as though he was taking the stage though. 

The Queen's recorded address completely omitted Harry, saying instead how proud she was of her son Charles and her Grandson, William. Awkward.

Was Diana Ross miming? I can't believe this was even up for discussion on here. She started talking during the last notes of 'Chain Reaction' ffs. Thankfully, the mic was only live for about 5 % of the 'performance'. What is the point? Tragic. I'd be intrigued to see whether it's the same in the Glastonbury 'legends' slot later this month which really will devalue its worth. Embarrassing, humiliating. Frankly, I'd rather she did a 'Rod'. 

The absolute star of the show though was Craig David's agent. 'I mean' - how the hell he managed to pull that off. 

Stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you really think.

• Haha 1

On 03/06/2022 at 08:18, worth_the_wait said:

Went to London yesterday.

Interesting looking around the Jubilee crowd.

As diverse a bunch as you're likely to see (every age, nationality, creed, sex, and anything else you can think of).

A few eccentrics ... which you would expect being a British thing ... but a really peaceful, polite, happy, jolly occasion.   

Sort of really harmless fluffy patriotism ... none of the dangerous nationalistic stuff, you might get somewhere else.

The other thing that strikes you, is the difference between TV and real life.   All the fancy dress, horses, carriages, pretty colours, marching bands and the like, looks tame on TV ... but in the flesh, it's a bit lively and colourful.   

(I suppose like the difference between being in a football crowd, compared to sitting at home watching it on TV.)

All good harmless fun, and free.

PS: And the fly-past was incredible.  (unless you hate planes, of course).

This post sums everything up for me. A rare day seeing people from all backgrounds celebrating and having fun with no trouble reminded me of the day at Victoria Park when we paraded the Prem trophy, everyone in unison and just enjoying something special. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, I am Rod Hull said:

This post sums everything up for me. A rare day seeing people from all backgrounds celebrating and having fun with no trouble reminded me of the day at Victoria Park when we paraded the Prem trophy, everyone in unison and just enjoying something special. 

Yes. We are probably too cynical for our own good sometimes. Great that people can just enjoy a day out in a peaceful and happy atmosphere. I suppose this is what freedom is about.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

Diana Ross is a bit of an underwhelming finale. Would've put money on them thawing out Paul McCartney for a bit of Hey Jude 

Very lacklustre compared to some of the more energetic performers and performances before her. 

She was a bit of a letdown really. 

49 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Glad I didn’t queue up to see the likes of Deborah Meaden, Arlene Phillips and what appears to be the Madame Tussaud’s waxwork of Joan Collins being driven along the Mall 

Ruby Wax looks impressive in Madame Tussauds... worth a visit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

One of my lasting memories of that day was 30000 of us trying to hit those high notes, amazing. lol 

5 hours ago, Line-X said:

Rod Stewart Attempting to occupy the same space as Andrea Bocelli?

Good to see Bocelli still happy to perform in the UK after being drowned out by 30,000 who couldn't hit the high notes.  Or any of the notes.  :ph34r:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Good to see Bocelli still happy to perform in the UK after being drowned out by 30,000 who couldn't hit the high notes.  Or any of the notes.  :ph34r:

They were actually all the right notes!...

But not necessarily in the right order.

• Haha 2

On 05/06/2022 at 11:17, Line-X said:

Begrudgingly half watched this concert thingy with some friends and to be fair, it turned out to be a memorable evening of farcical comic entertainment. Some random observations:

Just as I was willing Brian May to fall through a skylight on the roof of Buckingham Palace in 2002, I was rather hoping that twenty years later, his somewhat underwhelming appearance in comparison on a hydraulic lift would grind to a juddering halt just as his ludicrous poodle barnet came into view. Step aside Adam Lambert, this Sam Ryder bloke's got you sussed. Roger Taylor looked absolutely ****ed after that, there was surely someone waiting in the wings with an oxygen bottle. Six miles away in his Putney residence, John Deacon was no doubt cringing at his former bandmates lack of dignity if indeed he was even aware of this nonsense at all or gave an actual **** in the first place.

What else?...Some bloke with a huge Jay Kay furry hat noodling about on some gadgets in a fake bedroom, then pretending to play a guitar with a sparkler on the headstock. 

Those dancers are bloody good aren't they? I'm told in some previous incarnation, they won one of these TV talent shows. Very impressive. 

Andrew Lloyd Webber seems to have transformed himself into self-styled Bond villain.

Hadn't the first clue who most of these people were either, largely the glorified karaoke artists backed by the obligatory synchronised dance troupes. Talking of karaoke, how the hell the BBC could describe Rod Stewart's performance as 'energetic' is utterly beyond me. 'Arthritic' - yes. Don't these people have a shred or scintilla of self-awareness and shame? Attempting to occupy the same space as Andrea Bocelli? He should have barricaded himself in his VIP village dressing room and refused to show his face after that until everyone had gone home - or preferably been locked in prior to the performance which would have saved both us and him the embarrassment. I was rather hoping he'd dedicate a rendition of 'D'ya think I'm Sexy' to the Queen though - or even to Queen, would have sufficed. 

I find myself inhabiting a world according to Tic Toc, defined by social media 'influencers' and soundtracked by insipid artists such as, yawn...George Ezra. We had banked some time on the TIVO box and wisely deployed it to skip through his soporific seven minutes of banality. The bloke looks like an intern from a Marks & Spencer's graduate scheme ffs. At least Rod was a complete lad back in his day. 

Spoken word? - John Cooper Clarke would have had a few interesting thoughts on proceedings. 

Duran Duran should definitely change the title of 'Notorious' to 'Laborious' - one of the most tedious riffs ever churned out in popular music. John Taylor appeared to have styled himself as Peep Show's Super Hans for this performance, but his bass playing was impeccable and at least their Roger Taylor looked like he was actually capable of  getting through the performance without narrowly averting a major cardiac arrest. Good to see Nile Rodgers up there even though you couldn't hear him. 

Elton was supposed to be there wasn't he? He did the last one, vying for top spot with Macca. I guess he would have needed a dressing room the size of Buckingham Place to contain his wardrobe, not to mention his ego and settled instead being projecting it onto it. This was billed as though he was taking the stage though. 

The Queen's recorded address completely omitted Harry, saying instead how proud she was of her son Charles and her Grandson, William. Awkward.

Was Diana Ross miming? I can't believe this was even up for discussion on here. She started talking during the last notes of 'Chain Reaction' ffs. Thankfully, the mic was only live for about 5 % of the 'performance'. What is the point? Tragic. I'd be intrigued to see whether it's the same in the Glastonbury 'legends' slot later this month which really will devalue its worth. Embarrassing, humiliating. Frankly, I'd rather she did a 'Rod'. 

Bet you're fun at a party :beer:

On 05/06/2022 at 11:17, Line-X said:

Who pissed on your chips?

1 hour ago, bovril said:

She is an exceptional head of state, and she's our longest ever serving, so I think it's silly to criticise the celebrations. As naff as they were. I actually fear her dying because I feel at the moment she's one of the things tying the country together, in a weird way. People underestimate how much she'll be missed. 

She’ll be missed massively, as in a weird kind of way, many people can relate to her. 

The bloodline below her, won’t get the same love in though. 

3 hours ago, Sly said:

She’ll be missed massively, as in a weird kind of way, many people can relate to her. 

The bloodline below her, won’t get the same love in though. 

I think William will, he seems a bit more with it. Met him once on his triumph 600! Claim to fame.

in a petrol station near Hunstanton I may add.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

On 02/06/2022 at 16:28, weller54 said:

Hope the Queen stops, takes it and waves it from the golden coach on the parade!....be rude not to 😁

Did anyone hold out a "Queenie, can I have your tiara" sign?

20 hours ago, bovril said:

She is an exceptional head of state, and she's our longest ever serving, so I think it's silly to criticise the celebrations. As naff as they were. I actually fear her dying because I feel at the moment she's one of the things tying the country together, in a weird way. People underestimate how much she'll be missed. 

Very very true ...   there will be big repercussions (and not for the good) when the inevitable happens ...   :unsure:

22 hours ago, bovril said:

Irreplaceable, I'd say. There's too much baggage attached to the heirs after Charles and he's in his 70's already. Nobody will be able to command the respect of the world and the Commonwealth like our Queen does. I can see the Commonwealth largely breaking up once she goes. Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen.

She's been totally devoted to Britain and the Commonwealth since her coronation and probably before. Her father instilled in her, the duty and love and respect for her country and her people, before all else.