Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Royal Family

The royals will keep the stiff upper lip and the machine/firm will push it's narratives. Harry (and megan really) can't win. I genuinely believe there is more to  her story that is likely true then the royals side. It's easy to look at her past or that shes american and say bloody yank.

I dont doubt there there are two sides to the story thoughso they have to expect some blow back.  Ultimately,  i dont care for any royal as they serve no purpose to me (to each their own).

I think this will cost them their titles though.

• Like 1

Seemed to be as much about the institution to be fair and living a robotic life which is designed for you with no freedom, which I can sympathise with.

I think the Queen is still popular and Harry seemed to certainly say she is the one he looked up to. It's really hard to see Charles ever having the same popularity or impact on British society though. Think the institution could really struggle once he comes to the throne.

Harry has always seemed earnest. No reason to believe he's lying.

• Like 1

Reading the biggest take-a-ways in the interview, none of it is surprising. I don't think being a royal met her expectations, unfortunately you cant have your cake and eat it. Those who are born into it know nothing else, so are accustomed to it as normality, but someone used to more freedoms and no restrictions will suffer, even a member of our own aristocracy did (Diana). No title for her Archie, good! so what? There's too many hanger ons as it is, she's lying about the right to a title being changed when she was pregnant:

From Wikipedia:

Later that year, letters patent altered the rights to the title prince and the style Royal Highness. These letters patent, dated 30 November 1917, stated that "the children of any Sovereign of these Realms and the children of the sons of any such Sovereign (as per the above Letters Patent of 1864) and the eldest living son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales (a modification of the Letters Patent of 1898) shall have and at all times hold and enjoy the style, title or attribute of Royal Highness with their titular dignity of Prince or Princess prefixed to their respective Christian names or with their other titles of honour". It was also decreed in these letters that "grandchildren of the sons of any such Sovereign in the direct male line ... shall have and enjoy in all occasions the style and title enjoyed by the children of Dukes of these Our Realms" (i.e., Lord or Lady before their Christian name).[5][6] In addition the letters stated save as aforesaid the style title or attribute of Royal Highness, Highness or Serene Highness and the titular dignity of Prince or Princess shall not henceforth be assumed or borne by any descendant of any Sovereign of these Realms.

Harry trapped within the system but hadn't known it??? Because he didn't know any better.

Charles not taking Harry's calls but now he does - so he was pissed off with him for a bit, but now he's ok - well whoop-de-doo.

meghan welcomed by the Queen, but no one in the palace cared for her. It's a stiff upper lipped aging institution with 100's of years of tradition, process and procedure where every aspect of your life is planned, analysed and implemented for you, the expectation is you suck it up if you want to part of that, if not leave - I know I would!

Sounds like Harry made the right decision, so good on him, but don't try and keep your titles or moan about being out. Get out and maintain family relations outside the Royal family business - or the "firm" as they like to call it. 

Edited by simFox
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

The royals will keep the stiff upper lip and the machine/firm will push it's narratives. Harry (and megan really) can't win. I genuinely believe there is more to  her story that is likely true then the royals side. It's easy to look at her past or that shes american and say bloody yank.

I dont doubt there there are two sides to the story thoughso they have to expect some blow back.  Ultimately,  i dont care for any royal as they serve no purpose to me (to each their own).

I think this will cost them their titles though.

Late season collapse?

I didn’t think I’d be interested in the interview, but ultimately, perhaps inevitably, I find myself reading about it this morning.

I’m not sure there’s much that’s greatly surprising in it though. The main thing to take from it is the clash of cultures, of Meghan who is used to being open with words and emotions and the royal family who are entirely stoic, stiff-upper-lip and never let anything show. I note the part where Meghan says she asked for help and none arrived. That’s part of the institution, I guess - you’re expected to suck it up (whatever “it” may be at the time) and get on with things. Some people prefer things that way. More and more I see younger generations being encouraged to do the opposite: Less “Keep calm and carry on” and more “Don’t bottle it up”.

It seems there was naivety on Meghan’s part, that she didn’t understand - or research, as would have been sensible - what she was getting herself into, that maybe she thought the courtiers would be like Lumiere and Cogsworth rather than officials in ties telling her what she could and couldn’t do. I can certainly see how she’d feel trapped by that and find her mental health suffering. It wasn’t her world and it wasn’t going to change for her. It does make Harry’s decision to leave look brave - if Meghan couldn’t cope within the royal family, it has to be seen as just as big a leap for Harry to leave it in the opposite direction. He valued her and his child over the giant institution of the royal family and chose to step away from all he knew. Fair dues to him.

As for the racism and questions of “how dark Archie’s skin was going to be”, I somewhat infer from the interview who might have said that, but tough to name names without knowing. I completely understand how Harry and Meghan would be deeply and rightly angered by that, particularly Harry if it’s who I suspect it is.

Even so, despite the above, the very fact there is an interview still leaves something of a bitter taste in the mouth. It’s all airing dirty laundry and saying “look at me, hear my woe in public” whereas it didn’t actually need to take place at all. I’m not convinced it changes many views in this country, although it’ll get lapped up in America and by the righteous folk of Twitter.

• Like 3

I’m no royalist but I said to the OH last night, the whole issue isn’t so much the Queen or the actual family, instead it’s the whole organisation which is increasingly outdated. The Queen appears to be tolerant of how the World and the UK has progressed. 

I don't understand how someone can have such strong opinions on it either way. Piers Morgan has been on a warpath against Meghan for years. How can Meghan Markle evoke such rage in you? 

15 minutes ago, Koke said:

I don't understand how someone can have such strong opinions on it either way. Piers Morgan has been on a warpath against Meghan for years. How can Meghan Markle evoke such rage in you? 

She didn't want to be friends with him. 

Saw a tweet the other day that he's mentioned her 57 times in his tweets just in the past week. Obsessed isn't the word. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

The biggest thing for me is this is a family disagreement and should have stayed in house. Megan and Harry’s wish for privacy and a normal life is somewhat undermined by a tell all story with one of her friends, for some serious cash.

Seems a pretty sad reflection of modern life.

There's something you don't like?  Tell the world.  Wash your dirty linen in public.  Let it all hang out!

Whatever happened to keeping your counsel, and quietly building bridges?

• Like 1

In all of this, I am more irked by media referring to her as a "TV star". If I remember rightly, Suits was on Channel 5 or something over here and she was only a supporting member on it. 

She lucked out and hit what she thought was the jackpot - a date with a real, actual prince. It turned into a relationship, perhaps a bit too fast but whatever. 

I've no doubt it wasn't the nicest place to be, coming from an industry where you get to treat people badly and get away with it, but she clearly didn't do her research. I Iust hope for Harry's sake she's worth it. 

Though I am sick of hearing about them now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Whatever happened to keeping your counsel, and quietly building bridges?

This isn't something that happened overnight, though? Sounds like this could have been the start of a new era for the Royals but they just outright refused to accept Meghan as one. If the stuff is true about how dark her baby could be doesn't tell you anything then I'll be stunned. That kind of conversation or words isn't just something you fleetingly or randomly say to someone... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

Perhaps now they could give an impartial interview where their allegations could be challenged. 

8 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

This is exactly what is needed!

Get them on a Jeremy Kyle Show special.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3