Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

Guest Bert Fill
19 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

2014-15 we weren’t relying on Champions League finalists and current European champions to cock-up their final match of the season to and throw away their CL football for next season. Liverpool and Chelsea know that if they win their match they are over the line, and they have the players with the experience to go out and make it so.

Well I wasn’t suggesting that this season is exactly the same as 2014-15 in every little detail; I was merely using it as an example of how even when people think something is ‘done,’ until something is impossible it remains possible, however unlikely.

My apologies, I assumed that would have been clear.

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Mine won't be dry that's for sure ...   oh ...   didn't I mention ...    I've got a ticket ...       :brendan:

I'm sure you'll make your voice heard whatever the outcome. My voice will have to travel across the Atlantic so give em an extra cheer for me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xen said:

Villa aren't actually all that inconsistent.

With Grealish in the side they were averaging 1.7 PPG (for comparisons sake, we were just shy of 1.8PPG this season). Without him starting that dropped to just 0.9PPG, which is the reason for their lower position. Grealish is currently back and available, and will be keen to show he's fit enough for the Euros this summer. 

Sure, they've not got anything to play for on the face of it, but I wouldn't rule anything out.

Grealish! If he's up for it, which he will be, anything is possible. Why he's not an England regular I really don't understand. And I doubt Kante will be playing. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, enmac said:

Grealish! If he's up for it, which he will be, anything is possible. Why he's not an England regular I really don't understand. And I doubt Kante will be playing. 

He's going to earn his England starting place on Sunday.

• Like 1

If Liverpool win then we have to win by three goals more than them to finish above them ....

they put seven past palace at selhurst so not v likely they get another hatful. The most goals Spurs have conceded this season is three so for us to get four would have to be a first (the last time they conceded four in the prem was nov 2018). I simply don’t see any chance that we finish above liverpool if they win (and surely they will - they don’t have much recent history of not getting a league result when they absolutely have to - the karma side of this has been covered ref Allison’s header). 

so again it comes down to us doing our job against a Spurs side that have a win delivering a Europa league place at best and conference at worst and also to finish above arsenal !! 

It’s going to be hard enough for us to win on Sunday and we did, we need a villa team with nothing competitive to play for to stop a Chelsea side that looked so motivated on Tuesday from winning.

I can see why we’re almost 3/1 to qualify.  

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If Liverpool win then we have to win by three goals more than them to finish above them ....

they put seven past palace at selhurst so not v likely they get another hatful. The most goals Spurs have conceded this season is three so for us to get four would have to be a first (the last time they conceded four in the prem was nov 2018). I simply don’t see any chance that we finish above liverpool if they win (and surely they will - they don’t have much recent history of not getting a league result when they absolutely have to - the karma side of this has been covered ref Allison’s header). 

so again it comes down to us doing our job against a Spurs side that have a win delivering a Europa league place at best and conference at worst and also to finish above arsenal !! 

It’s going to be hard enough for us to win on Sunday and we did, we need a villa team with nothing competitive to play for to stop a Chelsea side that looked so motivated on Tuesday from winning.

Spurs and Villa both had the same motivations or lack of it on Wednesday, and yet Spurs still managed to lose in front of their own fans having been a goal up. 

It's a stretch to expect Villa to get a draw or win vs Chelsea in front of their own fans but it's hardly fairytale stuff. 

I expect us to be very determined to get the win at all costs on Sunday.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Spurs and Villa both had the same motivations or lack of it on Wednesday, and yet Spurs still managed to lose in front of their own fans having been a goal up. 

It's a stretch to expect Villa to get a draw or win vs Chelsea in front of their own fans but it's hardly fairytale stuff. 

I expect us to be very determined to get the win at all costs on Sunday.

I know all of this ......but on Wednesday Spurs didn’t know what a specific result would actually mean. Now they do.  my post mainly attempting to manage expectations (inc my own........I’m essentially travelling 200 miles to clap the fa cup winners again which I’m absolutely delighted to do)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I know all of this ......but on Wednesday Spurs didn’t know what a specific result would actually mean. Now they do.  my post mainly attempting to manage expectations (inc my own........I’m essentially travelling 200 miles to clap the fa cup winners again which I’m absolutely delighted to do)

I know mate, I have to say all this to cling on to anything that means I don't have to face up to history repeating itself. 

Can't stop singing " Grealish, the last diver, he's our friend and a whole lot more " to the tune of Denver The Last Dinosaur. 

Try it, your missus will hate it. Mines already told me to shut up. To be fair I am still in bed.

• Haha 2

Given Allison’s unlikely heroics last weekend, what chance Chelsea nick our place with a 90th minute goal from Werner !!!

on that nuance, over the last few weeks, liverpool have dropped a last minute lead against newcastle and gained v West Brom and villa (so plus 2 points post 90 mins), whilst Chelsea gained 2 points at the etihaad.  

those late goals have made a big difference .....

Palace have gone to Man City and won so it's not impossible but also not very likely with it being Hogdsons last game it may give them a bit more to play for.

Villa on there day can give most teams a game a draw is possible but again not very likely.

All we have to do is win our game the rest will sort it self out.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

4 goals more not 3. If they win 1 0. We need to win 5 0, if they win by 2 we need to win be a 6 goal margin, and so on

Edited by lcfcfoz

Liverpool are home and hosed, they were from the 95th minute against Albion, when Alison got the winner for them.  From that point there was no way they wasn't going to make top 4.  Chelsea are a different thing altogether, they celebrated like they had made top 4, after they beat us, but Villa away, in front of their own fans for the first and only time this season, is not going to be a walk in the park.  I honestly think Villa will get at least a draw, so it's down to us to beat Tottenham.  If we do,  we will make top 4 in my opinion. 

Guest Bert Fill
3 minutes ago, lcfcfoz said:

I'm going to watch villa chelsea on the tv, leicester spurs on the iPad and liverpool palace on my phone, and hopefully at some point revert to putting leicester on the tv when villa are leading by 2

That sounds way too much stress for me - I’m not going to watch any! I think I’m going to find something else to do while all the matches are on...

12 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

That sounds way too much stress for me - I’m not going to watch any! I think I’m going to find something else to do while all the matches are on...

It will be stressful, but exciting too, rather this game than stoke away when we needed to win to stay in championship