Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

I hope that we beat spurs, even if we don't get 4th. That way we know we did everything we could do.

It would be gut wrenching to draw/lose and have either Liverpool or Chelsea drop points, and know we could have qualified for the champions league if we just took care of business.

• Like 3

I genuinely don't care if we get Champs League or Europa League after winning the Cup, and I'm surprised myself about that. Just relaxed about the whole thing. 

As others have mentioned if it is the latter, if we prioritise it, then it is genuinely a competition we could win. Imagine Leicester City winning a European trophy. Wow. 

We have zero chance of winning the Champions League at this time, and I'm kinda in to this winning trophies thing above all else. Its fun. 

• Like 4

Not that it means anything whatsoever, but Villa fans seem fairly confident of getting at least a point. One would imagine that the first goal is even bigger than usual in that game. If Villa go ahead then Chelsea have shown in recent weeks, Man City game aside, that they're not always the best at chasing a game. However, if they go in front then I have no doubts that they'll suffocate Villa to a comfortable something to 0 win. 

I really can't see Palace doing us in any favours, but Liverpool do have previous this season with home struggles and there are a few stories that could be made. Zaha putting himself in the shop window, Benteke and Hodgson having the last laugh against their old side, a few Palace players going out on a high in their final game etc. I'm sure Sky and co will be glad for it too, as were it not for us they'd be trying to hype up the North London race for the Conference League. 

As has been said, I think winning our own game is a big of a task as any. If we are the first (ideally only!) side out of the three to go ahead then it could cause panic elsewhere. I've never really had the final day drama on the positive end. The Knockaert goal at Forest was fantastic, but the joy barely lasted a week, and I was only 4 when Muzzy scored at Vicarage Road. My only real involvement with final day drama was being at the Britannia so it'd be nice to re-write that.

As with many others, my biggest concern was losing the final and dropping out the top 4 so, following last Saturday's heroics, I'm far more relaxed than I imagine. That'll all change if we take the lead and results are going our way though. 

54 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Well, it is really.

Interestingly enough Micah Richards thinks Chelsea won't make it.  Villa are a different team with Grealish.  Palace love upsetting the Liverpool apple cart.

Sadly it may come down to Allison's header putting us out of the CL.:mad:

56 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

The top 6 wasn’t a thing 18 years ago?

Were did I say there was a big six 18 years ago?  :dunno:

I used the term big six to save me writing the teams out in full and to explain the fact other then Newcastle and us, no one outside of Man C, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool have finish in the top 4 in the last 18 season. 

Edited by coolhandfox

16 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Were did I say there was a big six 18 years ago?  :dunno:

I used the term big six to save me writing the teams out in full and to explain the fact other then Newcastle and us, no one outside of Man C, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool have finish in the top 4 in the last 18 season. 

Everton 04/05 ;)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Not that it means anything whatsoever, but Villa fans seem fairly confident of getting at least a point. One would imagine that the first goal is even bigger than usual in that game. If Villa go ahead then Chelsea have shown in recent weeks, Man City game aside, that they're not always the best at chasing a game. However, if they go in front then I have no doubts that they'll suffocate Villa to a comfortable something to 0 win. 

I really can't see Palace doing us in any favours, but Liverpool do have previous this season with home struggles and there are a few stories that could be made. Zaha putting himself in the shop window, Benteke and Hodgson having the last laugh against their old side, a few Palace players going out on a high in their final game etc. I'm sure Sky and co will be glad for it too, as were it not for us they'd be trying to hype up the North London race for the Conference League. 

As has been said, I think winning our own game is a big of a task as any. If we are the first (ideally only!) side out of the three to go ahead then it could cause panic elsewhere. I've never really had the final day drama on the positive end. The Knockaert goal at Forest was fantastic, but the joy barely lasted a week, and I was only 4 when Muzzy scored at Vicarage Road. My only real involvement with final day drama was being at the Britannia so it'd be nice to re-write that.

As with many others, my biggest concern was losing the final and dropping out the top 4 so, following last Saturday's heroics, I'm far more relaxed than I imagine. That'll all change if we take the lead and results are going our way though. 

Final day Drama at this level,with the Type of permatations...

even taking in last season...We Leicester fans have never experienced it at such an high level...

Win lose or draw,through a season I am usually relaxed, & Karma takes the field...

But Cup-finals & These Type of last high level game involvements takes us to other dimensions...

So even this wise,experienced ,  weary  & warey old fan, has difficulties in potting plants,putting on innocent " yes dear" expressions

Listen to relaxing music,  Like Slades Mama Mama weer all crazy now is more preferable to slow down my pulse...

2 hours ago, jim5000 said:

Do the stats take into account that both Liverpool and Chelsea are in far better form than us (both 4 wins in last 5), are recent champions league finalists (Liverpool winning last season and Chelsea in the final this season), are playing teams that are on the beach, and both have squads of players that know how to win important matches at the business end of the season?

I honestly can’t see either of them throwing away their chance on the last day of the season when they are both in great form.

Well, it is based on betting odds, so you would think the bookies have considered everything when coming up with their prices.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, enmac said:

Paul Hawskby (Spurs fan) just said: "Liverpool don't count your chickens. The we defended last night, we could concede 10 against Leicester. And I'm not joking." 

If we were to pick a way to finish Top 4, that would be it. Imagine sticking 6 or 7 past Spurs without reply, Liverpool sneaking a 2/3-1 win but still finishing 5th. I think I would celebrate for a full week. We can all dream...

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

If we were to pick a way to finish Top 4, that would be it. Imagine sticking 6 or 7 past Spurs without reply, Liverpool sneaking a 2/3-1 win but still finishing 5th. I think I would celebrate for a full week. We can all dream...

Wouldn't it be perfect! Imagine all the beatings and conspiracy theories from Liverpool fans. So much potential fun to be had. 

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Why? Do you really think Villa, in front of their fans for the first time in over a year, and with Grealish back in the side, will roll over for Chelsea? Because I don't

Villa don’t have to roll over for Chelsea to beat them.

Villa, 11th in the league, nothing to play for, inconsistent, 2 wins and a draw in their last 5

Chelsea, 3rd in the league, playing for CL qualification, 4 wins in their last 5, just beat the club in 4th, one of the form teams of the division.

Edited by jim5000

35 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Or in a perverse way we lose 4-0 at home to Spurs and everyone is pissing themselves and then Liverpool lose 9-0 at home to Palace.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The boy Linacre said:

Interestingly enough Micah Richards thinks Chelsea won't make it.  Villa are a different team with Grealish.  Palace love upsetting the Liverpool apple cart.

Sadly it may come down to Allison's header putting us out of the CL.:mad:

Our capitulation against Newcastle and West Ham, and horrendous performance against Southampton are what did it for us. These opened the door for Liverpool to get through. 

I think we've covered every eventuality now  :) ...   but, as we know anything can happen and nothing would surprise me ...   it's all down to such fine margins ...  in the last few days we've seen some crucial ones ...  Pools keeper netting in the 95th minute ..  and Perez missing a sitter ...   if either of those hadn't happened things would be so different.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

But realistically, it is.

You seem to be saying it's already done and dusted. It just isn't.

Look, there is a difference between something being very likely to happen and something that is certain to happen. That's all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

You seem to be saying it's already done and dusted. It just isn't.

Look, there is a difference between something being very likely to happen and something that is certain to happen. That's all.

I won’t keep goin round in circles as I’ll pass my daily post quota. But it’s done lol