Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

England's FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Euro Qualifiers.

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

I would have thought as Leicester fan, watching your team win the league in 2016 would have meant you accept that even the smallest team can exceed expectations. Every team starts qualifying on zero points. We've see Italy and the Netherlands fail in recent years, we've seen Iceland, Albania, Finland and North Macedonia all get to tournaments. Where would your changes have left Greece in 2004, would they have had to play some pre qualifying to get the main qualifying of the tournament they won? Germany and San Marino start on an equal footing at the start of qualifying and that's how it should be.

Fair points and I agree to a point, I'd counter what do you do about teams like San Marino, how can you justify their inclusion, a team who have one competetive win in their history. It's just not fun to watch a team of the best footballers in the world play against players who'd struggle to make a 7th tier UK team. There needs to be some middle ground where it's fair but its also more enjoyable to watch. You could say 4 teams from England get in the champs league so it's only fair we get less or other countries get more? It's weighted based on quality, they should do something similar for international football imo. 

Edited by Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

You know the world has gone slightly mad when one criticises a simple, non-offensive footballer celebration.

Reckon if he scored a goal against someone like Germany, they'd still be some who would still complain about him.

Edited by Wymsey

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Fair points and I agree to a point, I'd counter what do you do about teams like San Marino, how can you justify their inclusion, a team who have one competetive win in their history. It's just not fun to watch a team of the best footballers in the world play against players who'd struggle to make a 7th tier UK team. There needs to be some middle ground where it's fair but its also more enjoyable to watch. You could say 4 teams from England get in the champs league so it's only fair we get less or other countries get more? It's weighted based on quality, they should do something similar for international football imo. 

I don't think San Marino are a problem. Who decides these stages? Who decides who might go in or out of these sub groups? We all know how bullshit the fifa rankings are. I like the uefa qualifying, its fair. Everyone starts equal and has the same chance as making it through. Outside of South America where they are all in one group, its the fairest way of doing it. If it means the odd big win, so what. That Andorran postman gas earned the right to play against Germany. In fact they scored last night v Poland, what a feeling thar must have been for the player.

• Like 1

Let’s look at another way. Rugby Union’s international system is a closed shop. The tier 2 nations get a game or two at most against top opposition. Mostly importantly this gives them absolutely fcuk all TV or ticketing money to concentrate on their infrastructure. 

You’ll gotta give the lesser nations an opportunity to grow. It can work; look at Luxembourg for example on this qualification path. Genuine improvement. If you take their ability to host the giants, you cut their chances off completely 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Let’s look at another way. Rugby Union’s international system is a closed shop. The tier 2 nations get a game or two at most gets top opposition. Mostly importantly this gives them absolutely fcuk all TV or ticketing money to concentrate on their infrastructure. 

You’ll gotta give the lesser nations an opportunity to grow. It can work; look at Luxembourg for example on this qualification path. Genuine improvement. If you take their ability to host the giants, you cut their chances off completely 

For me it's more than this though. It's just morally bankrupt to want to cut out smaller nations because you can't be arsed watching them. It's completely against the spirit of football. Do the people that have a problem with Andorra getting a chance to qualify also complain every time a non league club gets in to the FA Cup proper? 

It baffles me how many English fans who bang on about the romance of the FA Cup and celebrate its heritage turn hypocrites to moan about the intentional equivalent. 

I dunno, maybe it's insecurity because you're scared of being knocked out of a major tournament by a country with half the population of Leeds again idk lol

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wymsey said:

You know the world has gone slightly mad when one criticises a simple, non-offensive footballer celebration.

Reckon if he scored a goal against someone like Germany, they'd still be some who would still complain about him.

I think the criticisms from Keane are fair especially as Keane would probably class himself as Man Utd fan. Maguire has been awful for them, pops up with a goal against a poor international team and starts cupping his ears as if he's answered all his critics. That's why players cup their ears when they score, as an answer to being booed or criticised. A big **** you to all the people who'd called them shit, basically saying "Can't hear you booing now" Maguire looked like an idiot doing it, he'll look even more of one if he's poor for Man Utd this weekend.

• Like 1