Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

New Champions League format from 2024

22 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Fofana retweeting some of the condemnation tweets :blush:

Shame that our players couldn't have more than a couple of hours to enjoy their win before being bombarded with news of this nonsense.

Brendan was even asked about it post match and he was like, please let me enjoy this win first.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bovril said:

I still don't really get the rage. They're basically threatening to start a new CL no? Kind of like what the big 6 English clubs did to the FA in 92.

Close shop to stop the meritocracy of our system. That’s the outrage.

I still don't really get the rage. They're basically threatening to start a new CL no? Kind of like what the big 6 English clubs did to the FA in 92.

Champions League is a knockout competition with a guaranteed 6 matches for the group stage clubs.

The ESL would be a closed league, meaning the "invited" clubs would be part of a league without relegation or promotion and just between the founding clubs, who had qualified just for being invited, not because of their achievements. 

Just now, bovril said:

Where only five teams that aren’t founders can qualify, and founders can never not be in it. At least the Premier League employs relegation and acts within the pyramid. Conceivably, Newport could find themselves rubbing shoulders in the PL and any of these six could find themselves in the Championship should they have a slow or steady fall down the table.

What’s the point in the Football League existing if those competing at the top of their divisions can’t challenge themselves by progressing to the next?

We didn’t compete in the inaugural season. I’d be passionate about the club regardless but what would we have spent the last 30 years competing for in the second tier if there was no way to reach the top? Meanwhile the likes of Forest, who finished bottom in 92/93 could just spend their entire existence picking up the TV money and happily meandering at the lower end with no risk of losing their place.

Of course there was a financial reason for the reformation of Division 1, but it didn’t come with a guaranteed £350m just for turning up.

Not to mention the aspect of self governance. That rings all kinds of alarm bells. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Champions League is a knockout competition with a guaranteed 6 matches for the group stage clubs.

The ESL would be a closed league, meaning the "invited" clubs would be part of a league without relegation or promotion and just between the founding clubs, who had qualified just for being invited, not because of their achievements. 

Sure, but the CL was formed because big clubs didn't want to be knocked out in the early rounds of the European Cup. The PL was formed to concentrate wealth amongst the elite English clubs. 

I'm not trying to be edgy or contrary, I genuinely find it a bit bizarre how beyond the pale this is for some people with what's happened to English football in the last couple of decades. 

5 minutes ago, FoxCal said:

Where only five teams that aren’t founders can qualify, and founders can never not be in it. At least the Premier League employs relegation and acts within the pyramid. Conceivably, Newport could find themselves rubbing shoulders in the PL and any of these six could find themselves in the Championship should they have a slow or steady fall down the table.

What’s the point in the Football League existing if those competing at the top of their divisions can’t challenge themselves by progressing to the next?

We didn’t compete in the inaugural season. I’d be passionate about the club regardless but what would we have spent the last 30 years competing for in the second tier if there was no way to reach the top? Meanwhile the likes of Forest, who finished bottom in 92/93 could just spend their entire existence picking up the TV money and happily meandering at the lower end with no risk of losing their place.

Of course there was a financial reason for the reformation of Division 1, but it didn’t come with a guaranteed £350m just for turning up.

Not to mention the aspect of self governance. That rings all kinds of alarm bells. 

European football will soon end up a closed shop with or without this super league. It's shit but it's the nature of the beast we've created. I wouldn't be that surprised if big English clubs tried doing something similar in the future. 

European football will soon end up a closed shop with or without this super league. It's shit but it's the nature of the beast we've created. I wouldn't be that surprised if big English clubs tried doing something similar in the future. 

I guess that’s it though - it’s a beast that we’ve created. I’ve no doubt that conversations took place long before we came along and started ruffling feathers but I’d be astounded if they haven’t been hurried since. 

A lot of people are rightfully angry. I think I and a lot of us are probably feeling it more so because it’s clubs like ours that are this serves to stop. This season has been the first where the media have begun to really acknowledge us as a contender. If not the ‘Big 7’ then the ‘Best of the Rest’. We might not be an immediate threat to Man City and Liverpool, but we’ve superseded Arsenal and Spurs whilst United and Chelsea have been getting nervous.

It’s been nice doing it our own way and seeing gradual, sustainable success with it, but when something like this happens it makes you wonder why anybody else would bother to try.

They can’t take away the moments though, eh?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FoxCal said:

I guess that’s it though - it’s a beast that we’ve created. I’ve no doubt that conversations took place long before we came along and started ruffling feathers but I’d be astounded if they haven’t been hurried since. 

A lot of people are rightfully angry. I think I and a lot of us are probably feeling it more so because it’s clubs like ours that are this serves to stop. This season has been the first where the media have begun to really acknowledge us as a contender. If not the ‘Big 7’ then the ‘Best of the Rest’. We might not be an immediate threat to Man City and Liverpool, but we’ve superseded Arsenal and Spurs whilst United and Chelsea have been getting nervous.

It’s been nice doing it our own way and seeing gradual, sustainable success with it, but when something like this happens it makes you wonder why anybody else would bother to try.

They can’t take away the moments though, eh?

By we I meant PL fans. 

Man City - Sheikh Mansour owned Man City - bought a billion Euros worth of players to dominate the PL. Where's the joy in that? How is that competition? Now pundits and fans are up in arms about 'greed'. Those same pundits made their money off the back of the Premier League's greed. When they talk about 'our game' and 'our traditions' it's a joke. 

Don't tell me just because we have promotion and relegation our game is fair, or a meritocracy. We have accepted the capture of our game by oligarchs and it's too late now. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 2

By we I meant PL fans. 

Man City - Sheikh Mansour owned Man City - bought a billion Euros worth of players to dominate the PL. Where's the joy in that? How is that competition? Now pundits and fans are up in arms about 'greed'. Those same pundits made their money off the back of the Premier League's greed. When they talk about 'our game' and 'our traditions' it's a joke. 

Don't tell me just because we have promotion and relegation our game is fair, or a meritocracy. 

Apologies - took ‘we’ and ran with it even though I knew you probably didn’t mean it at individual club level.

I agree there’s no parity when it comes to boardrooms and the (not so) startling correlation between the money in them and likelihood of honours and high finishes, but it isn’t always an open and shut case. We’ve been on both sides of that. Spending money and signing players left, right and centre when Mandaric came in just to see us relegated and then, oppositely, the title win win on a relative shoe-string budget.

It isn’t fair financially but domestically the prizes and repercussions are the same for everybody. Leeds went from Champions League semi-finalists to playing in League One in the space of eight years because they were so poorly run. Spent millions in the pursuit of success and when the success stopped and debts went unpaid they disappeared for 15 years. Whilst I’m not suggesting anything so extreme would happen to one of these twelve, there always remains the possibility that it could. There was talk of Arsenal being pulled into a relegation battle in November, albeit premature. 

This stops that. You could be Arsenal, be beaten 5-0 every game and finish dead last and it’s no skin off of anybody’s nose. Meanwhile, a club that’s qualified in could win it and because they haven’t qualified domestically for the following season, that’s it, they’re out. Arsenal still get their money, repay their debts and throw money at players with no worry of ‘Doing a Leeds’.

It’s clear as day that money is the motivator and there’s zero integrity to any of it. The problem is literally that this is their way of minimising - if not outright preventing - the likes of our title win or Porto’s Champions League win from happening again. And God forbid if it did, they’re making sure that they aren’t going to suffer for it. Why shouldn’t they?

If they’re allowed to continue domestically (which I’ve no doubt they will), why should we finish fourth and see no growth (financially, in terms of profile, in terms of who we can attract etc), whilst Spurs and Arsenal finish 9th and 10th and can still run along and play with their mates in what they want to be perceived as the Elite competition?

What does that mean for the integrity of domestic football? Why would they try? They’re secure. Why would anybody else try unless they’re able to compete for the title? There’s nothing else to play for and even that becomes hollow.

Stan Kroenke was a disinterested owner in MLS in the US. John Henry never got involved in the league. The Glazer family had an MLS team playing in their stadium but never got involved in the league. These guys don't care about soccer/football. They care about brands, marketing and making money. Watch American sport and that's what they're shooting for with this league - having a dozen elite soccer brands that become the face of the sport. They could care less about the sport itself and it's place in your country's culture.   If there's a way to do it, the FA should ban the 3 of them from the sport and force the sale of those clubs.

They deserve all the anger and outrage being tossed their way.

Edited by TeaMen Tom

Honestly, I just want to cry over the greed and incompetence of these people who have black holes where their souls should be.

At this stage I don't want to see another game involving the so-called 'big six' again.  They can just leave. Regardless of the financial cost to clubs like us and Everton, etc.

Much rather play in a league without the grasping greed. Maybe the quality would be better, but I wouldn't feel like a cheap... far out I'm gonna say it w***e.

And the audacity to hold out a couple of places in order for the plebs to scrap so they can be at the 'big table' for a year or so. A disgrace.

4 hours ago, bovril said:

The PL is essentially a closed shop. There is no 'meritocracy', the clubs with the richest backers win. 

You do know 3 new clubs magically appear each year in the league, whilst 3 others magically go on a journey into lands unknown don’t you?

• Like 1