Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
slymunn

Kelechi Iheanacho signs new contract

....the proof will be in the way we choose to set up in the future!!!

I have for a long time advocated for him to move on to a club willing to play in a way which suited his game and as that would not be a team which played with  a lone striker it would be his only way to progress his career. For a long time his appearances off the bench have not been in anyway fruitful and given us hope, that in the long run, he would come good in a role he was constantly being asked to adapt to.

Unless we are looking to play with a front two, then extending his contract to 2024 admittingly, after a recent run of good form, is a bit premature and his form could be something that could be easily negated through the managers policy of team selection and any prolonged reversion to the bench.

For the club it will seem like a good move to potentially retain a player with the potential to keep us pushing ahead, for Iheanacho this I can be see to be a poor move, as his worth to the team is only served by a certain position he is allowed to play, within the framework of the squad.

25 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Well, anyone claiming the clause still exists should probably be ignored now.

I'm thinking the removal of the clause was the driving force behind this new contract, given the news regarding Aguerro this week.

It has certainly come out of the blue.

Guest bennytwohats
2 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

"I can't express how I'm feeling," said Nigeria international Iheanacho.

"I'm excited, I'm happy, I'm overwhelmed! It's a great moment and I'm happy that Leicester City gave me a new contract.

"It's been a great time here. It's not been easy, but there's a lot of people here that are good people, great people to work with. They are nice people and they make me feel comfortable and welcome since I came in.

"It's been really great being here. It's like a family. I'm happy being here and hopefully I can stay here many more years."

It's nice when players actually sound like they're happy to be at our club ... rather than see it as a 2 year stepping stone to somewhere else.

Agreed. It's one of the best things to come to light recently. Even at the start of his good run of form I couldn't shake the feeling that Rodgers was reluctant to give him praise, and Kel seemed a little unhappy to be here. It feels more clear now that neither of those things are the case. Let's just hope he keeps up his good form hereon.

Whilst I am pleased that he has found some form, does about 6 decent games really warrant a new contract. Let's not forget how awful he has been for the bulk of his time here & the majority of people couldn't wait for his contract to expire so that we could get rid.

Still it's done now & good luck to him, he does seem a genuinely nice, humble bloke

2 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Whilst I am pleased that he has found some form, does about 6 decent games really warrant a new contract. Let's not forget how awful he has been for the bulk of his time here & the majority of people couldn't wait for his contract to expire so that we could get rid.

Still it's done now & good luck to him, he does seem a genuinely nice, humble bloke

Yes it does,

We've all known that the boy has talent, we have seen plenty of it but just not consistently enough.

His value will have rocketed too, so I think it’s about right.

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think we can now safely put the Manchester City buy back clause debate to one side. 

:nono:

3 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Anyone know if that particular clause had an expiry date on it? 

3 hours ago, Manini said:

I think Rodgers said something like those clauses usually last the term of the first agreed contract. So I’d imagine with this new one it’s now no longer valid. Dunno for certain though. 

3 hours ago, sm1 said:

In the Independent article it says his buy back clause was 50M and has expired.

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I believe the question has been answered above, but it's all moot now anyway.

1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

I wonder if the buy-back clause is still in the contract?

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

John Percy in a Telegraph article confirmed that clause had already ran out. Nacho timed his run of form to protect us lol:ph34r:!

53 minutes ago, Buce said:

I'm thinking the removal of the clause was the driving force behind this new contract, given the news regarding Aguerro this week.

It has certainly come out of the blue.

37 minutes ago, Strokes said:

How sure are you it’s not still active? :teehee:

• Haha 1

Great to hear he has signed a new deal. Totally deserved and now we have a live option for an FC and even in the no 10 role.

To me, release clauses and buy out clauses don't mean so much when a player doesn't want to leave. Vardys was triggered by Arsenal, he spoke to them, even went to London with the family to look at schools for the kids but stayed put. Kante had a clause if a CL club came in but ended up going to a side who didn't meet the clause criteria! Chilwell, Drinkwater, Maguire and Mahrez left with no clause!

5 hours ago, FrankieADZ said:

fair play to him, i was unsure after the palace game but hes cracked on 

Only the English can phrase things so … delicately.

Mate, after Palace you and most of us were

axeM.JPG.40cbd01c29ed91e81ec4a9535414dd23.JPG

“unsure” about him  lol

His partnership with Vardy post restart last season was good even when the rest of the side were toss. Condemning him on the back of the Palace game was daft.

Iheanacho’s stats have always been pretty good so when he’s only had a few games here and there we’ve not seen the best of him. Give him a run of games like winter 2019 and 2021 onwards he’s looked dangerous.

He’s not really cut out to be a lone striker but he’s made Vardy more dangerous (despite not scoring) too at the moment.

• Like 1

Richly deserved, he's started to look like the player we thought we signed 4 years ago, he stood up to the task when we really needed him this season and he's rightly getting the rewards and plaudits, shirt is his at the and he is undroppable at the moment.

3 hours ago, AshbyBlue said:

I heard he was on 80k a week so god knows what hes on now.But there again if your got to buy a striker for 40mil plus and wages well worth a new deal.

Thats it. 20k extra is just over £1 million a year. Then whatever the signing on fee is.

It's nothing compared to signing a new player and then paying possibly 100k a week to them.

• Like 1