Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

• 2 months later...

Lol, what the hell are they gonna do? A three team league is completely untenable unless they're going to turn it into some sort of cringe-fest invitational.

Then again, I'm sure there are plenty of grubby clubs in the MLS and Chinese Super League who would jump at the chance. Doesn't exactly scream prestige.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

This is shit. 

These 3 clubs can't be pursued for punishment by UEFA and can carry on with their Super League plans... 

The court is in Madrid, and the Super League has had support from the Spanish courts from literally Day One. I think this is the 3rd Spanish court decision in their favor. I doubt the EU judicial system will really care what comes out of Madrid. This statement is as meaningless as their previous "The courts agree with us" statements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

The court is in Madrid, and the Super League has had support from the Spanish courts from literally Day One. I think this is the 3rd Spanish court decision in their favor. I doubt the EU judicial system will really care what comes out of Madrid. This statement is as meaningless as their previous "The courts agree with us" statements.

Agreed. I think these 3 clubs are so incredibly desperate, as in they may even fold, if they don't get this through. 

Very curious to hear UEFA's statement. Surely their only action can be to ban them from the European competitions that they control. Fining the clubs may be trickier legally but a ban is more than possible I would have thought. :fc:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Agreed. I think these 3 clubs are so incredibly desperate, as in they may even fold, if they don't get this through. 

Very curious to hear UEFA's statement. Surely their only action can be to ban them from the European competitions that they control. Fining the clubs may be trickier legally but a ban is more than possible I would have thought. :fc:

In all honesty, I would opine on the ties Perez has with the Spanish establishment, and the fact he had a court opinion in his back pocket upon launch, but the UK has weird defamation laws.

Although the Milan clubs were included as make weight in the ESL, I am sure the Serie A teams smell blood in the water and realize they could have a proper league again.

The UK is out of the EU, and could legislate against an ESL, and it would be a vote winner.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

Lol, what the hell are they gonna do? A three team league is completely untenable unless they're going to turn it into some sort of cringe-fest invitational.

Then again, I'm sure there are plenty of grubby clubs in the MLS and Chinese Super League who would jump at the chance. Doesn't exactly scream prestige.

...aren't they also fighting for the other nine apparently quashing the punishments meted out against them previously!!!

This surely reopens the door for another tilt at Super League and a potential headache for our F.A.

I bet they are about to regret their leniency right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...aren't they also fighting for the other nine apparently quashing the punishments meted out against them previously!!!

This surely reopens the door for another tilt at Super League and a potential headache for our F.A.

I bet they are about to regret their leniency right now.

I think our clubs especially have learnt their lesson with the fan's reaction. If they tried it again, stadiums would be burned down lol

Premier League is also still in such a strong position compared to the other leagues, hence the reason for their desperation. 

Not sure at all what Perez is up to with pushing this more, but I imagine it is his finally roll of the dice for Madrid before they have to start selling off players/assets, just to survive as a club or at very least continue to compete at anywhere near the level they want to. 

Just hope we get a response from UEFA saying they have banned all 3 clubs immediately. 3 spots up for Champions League if that's the case :fc:

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

Surely the ONLY thing UEFA can/should do now, is to ban all 3 teams from any European Competitions immediately. 

Leicester get bumped up to Champions League spot :ph34r:

Pretty sure going by that statement UEFA can’t touch them 

2 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I think our clubs especially have learnt their lesson with the fan's reaction. If they tried it again, stadiums would be burned down lol

Premier League is also still in such a strong position compared to the other leagues, hence the reason for their desperation. 

Not sure at all what Perez is up to with pushing this more, but I imagine it is his finally roll of the dice for Madrid before they have to start selling off players/assets, just to survive as a club or at very least continue to compete at anywhere near the level they want to. 

Just hope we get a response from UEFA saying they have banned all 3 clubs immediately. 3 spots up for Champions League if that's the case :fc:

I'm not sure those three spots would include us: Probably just those already in the qualifying rounds.

Beyond the fact the English clubs would face backlash from the fans, they would face legislative backlash.

Real Madrid and Barcelona are vampires, demanding all the revenue from La Liga until the rest of the league was emaciated, and then they complained it wasn't competitive. Eventually, they'd do the same thing to the putative ESL, despite their claims of parity -- Perez in his first interview basically said Real Madrid had the right to buy all the top players in the league and needed the ESL to fund it. 

Outside of Spain, there is zero support for the ESL. Banning it by law would be a vote-getter in both the EU and UK.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Pretty sure going by that statement UEFA can’t touch them 

It's just a Spanish Court, not an EU or Swiss court. If UEFA suspended them, there is not a lot the Spanish courts could do but ban UEFA competitions in Spain. The three clubs are just collecting decisions in their favor for when it gets to the EU court: Which is actually not a bad legal tactic, although more effective in common law jurisdictions.

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

...ha, Perez gets the blame for everything!!!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Interesting to see how the power dynamic in Spanish football (and society as a whole) plays out.

The Spanish-courts remain Madrid-centric and have done for decades. In a similar way to the police force it's a hangover from the Franco era. Real Madrid represent 'Unified' Spain and always have done. Favouring anything they're at the forefront of is hardwired into the Spanish legal system, and Barcelona know it. Unless Perez' insane ramblings haven't made it obvious in the past few months, Real Madrid were the architects of all this and hold all the cards as regards its legal status in Spain.

I don't know enough about Juventus and its internal politics to comment on them, so I presume their continued involvement is purely out of their own stubbornness (and I guess their historical beef with Serie A after Calcicopoli?)

But within Spain at least, Barcelona kind of seem like a captive audience at this point, given that if they bailed Spanish law would probably find an excuse to come down on them and their already precarious finances like a ton of nationalist bricks.

They're already in the financial mire, which was why they agreed to be part of this in the first place, and if they were to bail at this point they know they've got a precedent in the national courts to throw the book at them. It could actually break them, so they've absolutely no choice but to go along with it even if they are getting the slightest hint of cold feet.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

That statement is so odd and tone deaf. Maybe I'm living in a Premier League bubble, but wasn't it unanimously rejected by fans across the globe, not just in the clubs' back yards?

Their whole pitch was about it being for all fans around the world who support teams...but those fans don't want a Super League any more than 'local' fans.

I know there's a lot of money at stake here and they're all desperate for money, these three, but surely there must be more to it? I don't understand how they can be so blind to the reality.

Edited by CloudFox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

In all honesty, I would opine on the ties Perez has with the Spanish establishment, and the fact he had a court opinion in his back pocket upon launch, but the UK has weird defamation laws.

Although the Milan clubs were included as make weight in the ESL, I am sure the Serie A teams smell blood in the water and realize they could have a proper league again.

The UK is out of the EU, and could legislate against an ESL, and it would be a vote winner.

Perez again! We really gotta sell that guy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3