Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

8 hours ago, blabyboy said:

Have you ever heard of anyone crossing the Scottish FL and getting away with it? :D

I know we hear talk of it periodically, but that's all it ever turns out to be. Rangers are only just recovering from their run in with the SFL and its members from liquidation. They made it as difficult as they could even though the club had a massive following.

The SFL know that if those two go, they're effectively dropping to the same standard and exposure as the Irish league.

It was muted around the time that Rangers went into administration, that they were looking at the possibility of joining the English league pyramid.

9 hours ago, blabyboy said:

Have you ever heard of anyone crossing the Scottish FL and getting away with it? :D

I know we hear talk of it periodically, but that's all it ever turns out to be. Rangers are only just recovering from their run in with the SFL and its members from liquidation. They made it as difficult as they could even though the club had a massive following.

The SFL know that if those two go, they're effectively dropping to the same standard and exposure as the Irish league.

Oh come on. Yes it would have an effect, but seriously? There are plenty of other clubs with decent fanbases in Scotland. It'd be nothing like the situation in Ireland at all.

11 hours ago, Sly said:

It was muted around the time that Rangers went into administration, that they were looking at the possibility of joining the English league pyramid.

I say again, it was all talk. When Rangers went into admin, they were forced by the SFL to start again from the lowest division and had to work their way up. They could have done the same in the EFL but chose not to.

11 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Oh come on. Yes it would have an effect, but seriously? There are plenty of other clubs with decent fanbases in Scotland. It'd be nothing like the situation in Ireland at all.

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/547255/average-home-attendance-scottish-premiership-per-club-scotland/

tldr; Average SFL attendance 2019-20

Celtic: 57,944 (greater than the bottom 8 combined and only 5K off bottom 9 combined)

Rangers: 49,238 (the next 3 biggest attendances are less than Rangers' by ~2K)

All other clubs in SPL combined: 79,003

All other combined do not even hit three quarters of the total for Celtic and Rangers combined - only ~73%

The best source I could find on the Irish PL for 2019 suggest that 2019 & 2020 were especially poor years, with 2019 having a combined average total of 19,435

https://footystats.org/republic-of-ireland/premier-division/attendance

Would Sky and others bother as much about the SPL if Celtic and Rangers weren't there - I'd really doubt it.

11 hours ago, KFS said:

Surprised people aren’t giving these clubs shit in the grounds this year. This got dropped by virtually everyone very quickly. Sad.

The Manchester United protests were dressed up as 'jeeze the supporters really showed us who's boss' treatment by the media. 

That allowed fans to think they'd won when actually they'd just been given a false sense of place. That protest should have been the start of a whole slew of protests, not the zenith of a very shit voicing of concerns. 

People felt an abandoned game represented a win. It was, at best, a consolation point in a long game. Look at how brazenly they're trying to **** the game mere months after. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, blabyboy said:

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/547255/average-home-attendance-scottish-premiership-per-club-scotland/

tldr; Average SFL attendance 2019-20

Celtic: 57,944 (greater than the bottom 8 combined and only 5K off bottom 9 combined)

Rangers: 49,238 (the next 3 biggest attendances are less than Rangers' by ~2K)

All other clubs in SPL combined: 79,003

All other combined do not even hit three quarters of the total for Celtic and Rangers combined - only ~73%

The best source I could find on the Irish PL for 2019 suggest that 2019 & 2020 were especially poor years, with 2019 having a combined average total of 19,435

https://footystats.org/republic-of-ireland/premier-division/attendance

Would Sky and others bother as much about the SPL if Celtic and Rangers weren't there - I'd really doubt it.

So the average attendance for games in Scotland, excluding the Glasgow sides, is still four times that of the League of Ireland?

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Here we go again. 

We'll see. Politicians everywhere outside of Spain found out it was a vote-winner to battle this. I could see both London and Brussels issuing warnings against the teams. I can't imagine the Premier League and UEFA haven't prepared themselves for the possibility. And frankly, without Arsenal it is a tougher sell (they may suck, but they have a huge fanbase). I don't know what Vox Populi's track record is on this stuff.

In terms of revenue haven't many of the European leagues had a period of time when they were top of the heap? (Italy?). Haven't been following the history of football for decades like some of you.

13 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

They really do have the worst PR strategists ever. 

Reading some of the rather sketchy reports on this: It is only the holdout trio pushing the re-launch. The other original teams aren't actually involved and the English teams aren't in any way interested. Juve, Barca, and Real all seem to think the 12 teams still are legally bound to the project (probably because they have that Spanish judge in their back pocket.)

But again, who knows 

• 3 weeks later...

A football change I could live with.

Everyone in a European league and a domestic league, maybe the Championship and down too.

Serie A and B etc etc , the same

Means playing everyone once, luck of the draw whether home or away.

Domestic leagues

21 teams, 20 games, 10 home, 10 away, 

European Leagues.

Multiple leagues of 21 teams, also playing 20 matches,

How will it work?

Teams enter the european leagues on the basis of where they finish in their domestic leagues, keeping integrity of said leagues.

A fair (or unfair) seeding system will be tricky though ..... eg

Super Champions, big boys only,  SKY Sports LIGA SUPREMA NUMERO 1...... 

Top 2 teams from England, Germany Italy, France, Spain, 

Top team from 5 other countries like Portugal, maybe scotland etc

6 other places based on play offs from all other league winners.

All the way down to 

Urban initiative RYAN AIR subsidised EURO LIGA 40

15th to 18th place 3rd tier teams, Derby off to St Malo and hosting Sporting Benidorm etc

Now, I know it sounds silly but lets get our  heads out of the sand and embrace change. 

8 minutes ago, He aint bald said:

Everyone in a European league and a domestic league, maybe the Championship and down too.

Domestic leagues

European Leagues.

How will it work?

Teams enter the european leagues on the basis of where they finish in their domestic leagues, keeping integrity of said leagues.

All the way down to 

15th to 18th place 3rd tier teams, Derby off to St Malo and hosting Sporting Benidorm etc

Now, I know it sounds silly but lets get our  heads out of the sand and embrace change. 

Sound

14 minutes ago, He aint bald said:

Domestic leagues

European Leagues.

How will it work?

All the way down to 

I am not hugely opposed to no home-and-away, but the main problem with the European Cup was that "big teams" worried about not getting enough European games, hence the Champions League. With only two teams in the top EuroLeague, the English Big 6 would balk.

Frankly, I sorta like the three-tier system now in place, but think it should be expanded -- perhaps 48 Champions League, 48 Europa League, 64 Conference League, but self contained (so the best third place teams don't drop down a league, but get into a R32).

The bring back a lot of those regional tournaments -- MittelEuropa, AngloItalian Cup, etc, etc. -- and create new ones for those further down the table. Everyone in the Rugby Premiership plays in Europe, no reason the same can't be done for football.

I am less concerned about fixture congestion than most: There are 25-man squads and development teams for a reason. Put in hard fast rules about how many minutes a person can play every four weeks, etc. Use your squad!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I am not hugely opposed to no home-and-away, but the main problem with the European Cup was that "big teams" worried about not getting enough European games, hence the Champions League. With only two teams in the top EuroLeague, the English Big 6 would balk ........................... ............................................................ Everyone in the Rugby Premiership plays in Europe, no reason the same can't be done for football.

The principle that all teams get to play or have the oppurtunity to earn a place in Europe would be great to achieve.

How we will get there, I dont know.

Even a lower league winners knock out cup would be fun, throw em all in together, all professional divisions, all countries.

So adapting my silly idea, which i would love to see happen all the same

EURO LIGAS SUPER DUPER 1 and 2 could have 26 clubs and incorporate the top 3 from England, Spain etc.

25 Euro games and 20 domestic games?

The associate champions 4th to 6th places, would still get glamerous ties and more SKY money in EURO SUPER DUPER LIGA 2.

Further smaller leagues get an inferior title, just variety and good away days for the rest

Off course, Spurs and Arsenal wont be confident of finishing top 6 every year so they wont play along

Will Liverpool be happy playing Barcelona just the once and having to host Red Star instead?

How much scope for EUFA corruption is there? If there is plenty, we just might get this off the ground

• Like 1