Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Genuinely, I would be immensely proud if Brendan got us into top 6 a few years on the trot and a cup final, to then go to Man City.

It would say so much about us as a club and the kind of company we're keeping now. That we could be seen as the teams just below the top tier. 

And all done sensibly. 

8 hours ago, bennytwohats said:

You’re looking at this through a very specific lens. We have benefited hugely from our activity in the transfer market, in particular is it fair that we’ve brought in a wealth of talent from other teams? Would that same limit apply to our transfer incomings? We wouldn’t have Rodgers or most of our first team in that case.

What exactly are you proposing? Just the teams who have finished higher than us shouldn’t be allowed to do it? What if they ban the actual top 6 in the league instead of just the big ones? Still keen for your plan?

Umm ....

Firstly, I was talking about punishment for the “Big Six”, which was the topic of my post. So it was not about Leicester or how it may or may not have affected us. It was not looking at it through “specific lens” forgetting about how we “benefited”, potentially. It was about punishing the Big Six, eg. transfer ban or limit on how much they can spend over the next season or two as an example.  

In any event, our position is different. We do not incur huge losses in the transfer market. We try to balance our books in terms of transfers. We do not go out and spend £200-300 million on players without selling players anywhere near that amount. Chelsea spends so much on players and then put them in reserves: also see Drinkwater as an example. We can never be like that and we will never be able to go and rip any of our competitors out like that. Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea can, and with the gap in financial muscles continues to widen, unless we put better rules in place, even us who have “benefited” will one day get ripped apart. It is also just not sustainable.

So more generally, there should also be a more stringent plan in terms of financial fair play, perhaps imposing some sort of salary cap concept like they do in the US, put some sort of regime limit in terms of poaching players from the same division, etc. This is another topic for application more generally but I was focussing firstly on punishment on the Big Six. Without rules like this, the Big Clubs will get further and further away and doing a Leicester will become even harder.

Edited by Tom12345

11 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...wouldn't that be a restriction of practice!!!

We cannot enforce restriction on certain clubs, it is unfair and counter productive. Enforce the points deduction before the end of this season. Their supporters will then have to look to their owners and decide how to avoid this situation happening again. They (their supporters) have been quiet happy with the clout they have had since way back and this will be the price they will have to pay. 

Now some of these clubs will still make Champions league, and we can still be meeting teams which we would have fought so hard to meet on the playing field. If we choose to implement the deductions next season,  we would more than likely see the same outcome, with the Manchester clubs earning their place in the Champions League. 

Please see above post. Cheers

On 27/04/2021 at 19:26, Paninistickers said:

I think the parallel is closer to Don Revie than Clough. Forest never shook off their provincial tag. 16k crowds. Apart from the early days of Francis and Fashunu, they stuck to the bargain basement for players. And once Clough went they  became lower league nobodies again

Whereas Revie converted Leeds.from.an 11k a week footballing backwater to a big city club. And the legacy carried on. They've reinvented themselves three times since - The Strachan, Speed, Mcallister era to Ferdinand, Kewell, Alan Smith to now the Bielsa era. 

My point being, I think Rodgers and the family aim.to create a regional big (ish) club 

It would be refreshing. First genuine change for a manager to have that story. Man City/chelsea have bought every single trophy. Leicester have been prudent, educated when they could of gone a similar way. Although we could have a huge problem if Celtic joined the premier league. He’d go straight back 

Edited by Heymister2015

Man City ..... listen to yourselves, we are the only City that matters, they are nothing without petro-dollars and are not a massive club, manufactured club really, why would he follow Pep there ? It would be a crazy move ! He will go from us to Being Madrid or Barca Manager that’s what I suspect, also he is every inch an England manager (other than being Irish) 3-5 more years with City !  Build us a Huge platform to go forward with and then off to be a coach at a world class team then maybe England Manager that’s my guess 

not bloody Man City 

22 minutes ago, SO1 said:

This was on the internet for free. Not much else to say but I'm sure there is.

https://theathletic.com/news/tottenham-next-manager-brendan-rodgers/or2LOuDs9mLy

lol

Chris R.

9h ago

11 likes

So he doesn't want to leave a very well run club with players who give their hearts and souls for a squad rife with dead wood, no money for a rebuild and only a handful of players with any fight, passion or professional pride in them. Who can blame him, I've supported Spurs for 30 years and I would stick with Leicester too!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thomas S.

3h ago

@Chris R. ditto.

Peter M.

2m ago

Brenden Rodgers, owner of perfectly good medium sized home, upon being offered a slightly larger, decrepit home (which is on fire, permanently): no thanks.

Edited by Buce
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9526441/Tottenham-NOT-given-securing-Leicesters-Brendan-Rodgers-head-coach.html

Tottenham refuse to give up on Brendan Rodgers with hope behind the scenes at Spurs that the Leicester boss will change his mind and quit the Foxes to take over from Jose Mourinho

Getting creepy stalker vibes 

44 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9526441/Tottenham-NOT-given-securing-Leicesters-Brendan-Rodgers-head-coach.html

Tottenham refuse to give up on Brendan Rodgers with hope behind the scenes at Spurs that the Leicester boss will change his mind and quit the Foxes to take over from Jose Mourinho

Immature London born Dailyfail journos, just hoping...& Stirring it up...!!!

Another Top Trophy (Brendan) they cant, get their hands on..!!!  

First...Empty Trophy cabinet..

Now Empty manager stool.......:nono:

5 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

I am glad Spurs are now going after Ten Hag becos since they sacked Jose some of there fans on the Spurs forum fightingcock reckon if they got Brendan Rogers, he will bring are quality players, the coaching staff and scouts along with him

With respect to Tottenham, the only players they would be able to sign from us are players we want to let go - Hamza, albrighton etc! Would love son at Leicester though, but I realise we wouldn’t be able to sign him. Because I’m not completely deluded!! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

I am glad Spurs are now going after Ten Hag becos since they sacked Jose some of there fans on the Spurs forum fightingcock reckon if they got Brendan Rogers, he will bring are quality players, the coaching staff and scouts along with him

How many of our signings did Brendan’s ‘team’ scout ???

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

Behind the scenes ?? What exactly happen:

Levy: So that lad from Germany turned us down and so did Rodgers. Who else ?

DOF: Dyche

Levy: errrr....Let’s go for Rodgers again.

39 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

With respect to Tottenham, the only players they would be able to sign from us are players we want to let go - Hamza, albrighton etc! Would love son at Leicester though, but I realise we wouldn’t be able to sign him. Because I’m not completely deluded!! 

Over my dead body will they get Albrighton! He's the only winger Rodgers likes.(besides Harvey)

The Ten Hag and Nuno links seem more credible, there's nothing in that article to suggest Rodgers will change his mind, just a bit about where we finish and he might think about leaving. Even then, there's nothing at all that Tottenham is necessarily the club he wants to go to.

He's got four years on a large contract too, it won't be cheap and I'm sure Levy wants things done smoothly.

The thing I don’t understand with these Rodgers rumours is that we paid 12 million to get him from Celtic so I think we’d be able expecting more than that to release him. Probably at least 20 million. Plus he’s on 10 million a year hear and he’ll be wanting a pay rise to go as after all that’s all that Tottenham have (large revenue). There’s no way I can see Tottenham make that deal with the way Levy acts with money. Just seems like a non starter even without the fact he’s not interested.

14 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

The thing I don’t understand with these Rodgers rumours is that we paid 12 million to get him from Celtic so I think we’d be able expecting more than that to release him. Probably at least 20 million. Plus he’s on 10 million a year hear and he’ll be wanting a pay rise to go as after all that’s all that Tottenham have (large revenue). There’s no way I can see Tottenham make that deal with the way Levy acts with money. Just seems like a non starter even without the fact he’s not interested.

Whatever money they pay for a top Manager will be money well spent if it meant the likes of Son and Kane don’t want to push for a move at a reduced fee and the club are challenging the Top 4 over the next few seasons