Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Newcastle Home pre match thread

14 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Not gonna happen. BR has never resorted to hoofball, and will never resort to hoofball.

Jonny Evans obviously decided to disregard that against Palace.

Edited by An Sionnach

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

we won't blow teams away with a quickfire 5 wins on the spin, we will keep picking up 1.5/2 points a game on average and that's why we remain in the top 3 throughout. 

I think this is a really good point. We've not absolutely smashed anyone this year, we've repeatedly churned out results. Whilst we haven't had the glamours of 5/10 wins on the bounce, we've churned out those difficult points we'd thrown away last season. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

There's a world of difference between a long, calculated pinpoint pass, and hoofball.

In his glory days Vardy was always looking for the high ball over the back line. My real point is be prepared to change your tactics don't be predictable.

Just now, An Sionnach said:

In his glory days Vardy was always looking for the high ball over the back line. My real point is be prepared to change your tactics don't be predictable.

I agree. But I don't see BR going for 'hoofball'. Not as I understand the term hoofball (which is aimlessly lumping into the box and hoping for the best).

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You are right about momentum, I thought ours had gone after the international break and then defeats to Man City and West Ham and the scandal of the covid party. Then we go and win the FA Cup semi final and take care of business in the 2 home games vs West Brom and Palace. I think our momentum is that we are more stable this season throughout and although we won't blow teams away with a quickfire 5 wins on the spin, we will keep picking up 1.5/2 points a game on average and that's why we remain in the top 3 throughout. 

Other teams may well have that shot in the arm to go for broke now and who knows, they could win the remaining 4 or 5 games which they'd previously shown no ability to do this season and leave us very close to missing out but it still would be a surprise. We are good for 2 wins from these final 4 games if we maintain our desire, determination and ability. That is then highly likely we've done it.

The last point is particularly poignant I think. I listened to David Moyes after the West Ham match last night. I thought he spoke well and some discussion surrounded getting in Europe in general ie top 6. However, he brought up the fact that the chances of getting in the Champions League were not dead and buried so they were just going to go for it, why not. The impression given was one of giving it a good go, attacking the opposition and striving for something etc. This surely has to be a better option than sitting back on your laurels and trying just not to lose out. Striving forward and attacking aggressively surely has to be a better and easier option also rather than sitting back nervously hoping the opposition doesn't break through. West Ham appeared up for a fight last night despite going one down whereas our organisation and intentions on Saturday seemed incoherent and haphazard. 

28 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I’ve also written that having to play against 10 didn’t help. Even so, I think you’re making excuses. We should have been able to break them down. 
I so hope that not being able to doesn’t make all the difference come the end

Yes, being against 10 without having a goal to incite the opposition was a bit of disaster, and ideally we should have beaten them, but such a situation is always going to be challenging. Not excusing the team, certain players did not cover themselves with glory, certain players out of sorts, but you would have expected a victory despite it not being a given.

3 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

The last point is particularly poignant I think. I listened to David Moyes after the West Ham match last night. I thought he spoke well and some discussion surrounded getting in Europe in general ie top 6. However, he brought up the fact that the chances of getting in the Champions League were not dead and buried so they were just going to go for it, why not. The impression given was one of giving it a good go, attacking the opposition and striving for something etc. This surely has to be a better option than sitting back on your laurels and trying just not to lose out. Striving forward and attacking aggressively surely has to be a better and easier option also rather than sitting back nervously hoping the opposition doesn't break through. West Ham appeared up for a fight last night despite going one down whereas our organisation and intentions on Saturday seemed incoherent and haphazard. 

Moyes has sent his team out in this 2nd half of the season with the instruction to go for it. They tend to then retreat as pressure builds but they certainly have the ability to take it to teams. I maintain though that should they put themselves in touching distance of the top 4 and it be in their hands that they may stumble once again. If we win on Friday then that makes it easier for them to just throw everything at it but obviously much harder for them to catch us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Moyes has sent his team out in this 2nd half of the season with the instruction to go for it. They tend to then retreat as pressure builds but they certainly have the ability to take it to teams. I maintain though that should they put themselves in touching distance of the top 4 and it be in their hands that they may stumble once again. If we win on Friday then that makes it easier for them to just throw everything at it but obviously much harder for them to catch us.

Absolutely. Overall though we have, I believe, a far better team but perhaps lack the approach sometimes. That for me comes from the manager who is perhaps a little too pragmatic at times against lesser opposition. The mere lack of Barnes shouldn't dictate that we have to play with 3 at the back. I know that a 5 doesn't have to mean defensive play like a relegation threatened team but neither do we employ it in an attacking manner really. I just don't think Ricardo and Castagne are flying wingbacks in the mold of Cafu and Marcelo, particularly the former. I think they're better employed running on from deep when able. Neither do you have to employ 2 conventional wingers which I know we lack.

2 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Absolutely. Overall though we have, I believe, a far better team but perhaps lack the approach sometimes. That for me comes from the manager who is perhaps a little too pragmatic at times against lesser opposition. The mere lack of Barnes shouldn't dictate that we have to play with 3 at the back. I know that a 5 doesn't have to mean defensive play like a relegation threatened team but neither do we employ it in an attacking manner really. I just don't think Ricardo and Castagne are flying wingbacks in the mold of Cafu and Marcelo, particularly the former. I think they're better employed running on from deep when able. Neither do you have to employ 2 conventional wingers which I know we lack.

We lack pace at the minute, it's quite telling. I hope we rectify that next season. We've lost Barnes and Justin to injury and although he was peripheral we don't have Demarai Gray to give us anything from the bench. Ünder was brought in to give us that option and he isn't used. Ricardo seems a yard off the pace, Maddison has never been overly quick but his recent injuries make him look even slower, likewise Tielemans and Perez.

Vardy has looked noticeably more explosive in recent games and Castagne too, so with Iheanacho on form as well I'm hoping we still have enough about us to maintain a high energy and tempo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We lack pace at the minute, it's quite telling. I hope we rectify that next season. We've lost Barnes and Justin to injury and although he was peripheral we don't have Demarai Gray to give us anything from the bench. Ünder was brought in to give us that option and he isn't used. Ricardo seems a yard off the pace, Maddison has never been overly quick but his recent injuries make him look even slower, likewise Tielemans and Perez.

Vardy has looked noticeably more explosive in recent games and Castagne too, so with Iheanacho on form as well I'm hoping we still have enough about us to maintain a high energy and tempo.

I cannot see a case for starting Maddison ahead of Perez for this? (Unless Ayoze is always sentimentality cack when he plays Newcastle) What do you reckon?

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I cannot see a case for starting Maddison ahead of Perez for this? (Unless Ayoze is always sentimentality cack when he plays Newcastle) What do you reckon?

I'd start Perez, he has many faults but he suits this system better than Maddison. I'd then be looking to get Maddison on with 20-30 mins to go and go to a back 4 if needs be where he might be able to get back in to his favoured position with the players around him creating the desired space.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

You are right about momentum, I thought ours had gone after the international break and then defeats to Man City and West Ham and the scandal of the covid party. Then we go and win the FA Cup semi final and take care of business in the 2 home games vs West Brom and Palace. I think our momentum is that we are more stable this season throughout and although we won't blow teams away with a quickfire 5 wins on the spin, we will keep picking up 1.5/2 points a game on average and that's why we remain in the top 3 throughout. 

Other teams may well have that shot in the arm to go for broke now and who knows, they could win the remaining 4 or 5 games which they'd previously shown no ability to do this season and leave us very close to missing out but it still would be a surprise. We are good for 2 wins from these final 4 games if we maintain our desire, determination and ability. That is then highly likely we've done it.

I think I agree but let me ask you this. Assuming we beat the Geordies, where do we pick up points from the last three games? In your opinion 

22 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think I agree but let me ask you this. Assuming we beat the Geordies, where do we pick up points from the last three games? In your opinion 

First we go to Old Trafford and take 3 points.

Next we pop down to North London and play Chelsea twice, win twice and get 3 points and a drinking vessel.

That should do it - but on the 23rd we should (overshadowed by the darkness of the massive trophy in our cabinet) have just enough light from the sun left to give Spurs a good shagging before sending them back to European Super London.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Nick said:

First we go to Old Trafford and take 3 points.

Next we pop down to North London and play Chelsea twice, win twice and get 3 points and a drinking vessel.

That should do it - but on the 23rd we should (overshadowed by the darkness of the massive trophy in our cabinet) have just enough light from the sun left to give Spurs a good shagging before sending them back to European Super London.

Though I admire your optimism I wonder whether this is why you are only third on Superbru?

Have you seen who’s top btw?

Although I have to doth my cap to you somewhat, your performance this season is so much better than last term.

At least you’ve made the top 50 this time

👍

4 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I will worry about Rodgers if he starts madders

I assume he will to continue his return to full fitness 

last Friday was his first full 90 and he spoke about that afterwards 

Rodgers wants a fully fit Maddison for the cup final a week later 

I think he will start on Friday but he could well be on the bench at OT 

• Like 1

Just now, st albans fox said:

I assume he will to continue his return to full fitness 

last Friday was his first full 90 and he spoke about that afterwards 

Rodgers wants a fully fit Maddison for the cup final a week later 

I think he will start on Friday but he could well be on the bench at OT 

Yep. Maddison clearly isn't fully fit yet but we know how good he can be. He isn't going to get that fitness or sharpness sat on the bench, so with a weeks rest going into this game I'd be shocked if he didn't start.

Much like Vardy you sense Maddison is one goal (or maybe one assist in Maddison's case) away from clicking into the next gear. Let's just pray they both find that gear on Friday, ready for an insanely important final four matches of the season.

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Though I admire your optimism I wonder whether this is why you are only third on Superbru?

Have you seen who’s top btw?

Although I have to doth my cap to you somewhat, your performance this season is so much better than last term.

At least you’ve made the top 50 this time

👍

I wouldn’t know! I make the picks often a few weeks in advance! Third? I’ll take that!