Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Newcastle Home pre match thread

10 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

you blame Maddison, I personally blame the system he's playing in. for me, madders is the most talented player we have and must be played, he is a creative outlet but what he isn't is a box to box midfielder 

...can't  agree with that!!!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes but we are missing those that take us up the field, so he to adapt to help out, possibly why we are looking at Soumare.

that should be Youris and wilfs job, or the wing backs, Thomas has been a weak point creative wise, I'm all for giving him game time but we should have used Albrighton sooner imo. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

that should be Youris and wilfs job, or the wing backs, Thomas has been a weak point creative wise, I'm all for giving him game time but we should have used Albrighton sooner imo. 

I don’t think we can afford the luxury player you are describing, particularly at this point, in this season, with these injuries, but hey, I have been wrong before.  :thumbup:

11 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I don’t think we can afford the luxury player you are describing, particularly at this point, in this season, with these injuries, but hey, I have been wrong before.  :thumbup:

Join the not so lonely club. 

for what it’s worth I think we’ll win. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

63 points would have seen you achieve a top 4 finish. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

How? 4th place was 66points 

even if you rewrite history and give us a draw on the final day, yanited would have got 64 points 

1 hour ago, Simmo86 said:

You go off the 5th place total, to get top 4 last season you only needed 63 points. Whether you got 66, 65 or 64 is irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Oh I see what you mean now - going on 5th place points total .......I would still say that you need to finish above the team in fourth to qualify for CL. And that was 66 points 

but I accept that’s possibly illogical 

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

If we would have got 63 points last season we would have still finished in 5th place. 66 points were needed to finish 4th as was mentioned above.

I think this season it will be about the same (66-68 points) but with a more competitive field.

I think both arguments are right. If you put a team into last season's table on 63 points, they finish 5th. However, if you look at it another way, Chelsea or any club above them would still have finished 4th if they had only got 63 points, or even 62 and a good enough GD.

With a reported foot injury of Evans/ Fofana on Ramadan, an Barnes out for the season, could we not play a 4-4-2 diamond of

Castagne LB (BR said he doesn't like him LB as he likes to run forward and takes Barnes space, not applicable now. 

Evans (1st half/ Fofana 2nd half

Soyunchu

Ricardo (if fit) 

Ndidi

Tielmans

Maddison

Perez

Vardy

Iheanacho 

It gets more attacking players in the team, in their favoured positions an allows the Full backs a bit of space to run into. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simmo86 said:

Take Leicester out of the equation, last season what points total guaranteed a top 4 finish? 

66 points as Chelsea were 4th. Anything less got you 5th.

You are probably overthinking this slightly but I think I get what you are trying to say. It's a bit like saying Spurs just needed 71 points to win the league in 15/16.

Edited by KrefelderFox666

7 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Surprised to see people wanting Perez in ahead of Maddison. Maddison is at least twice the player, even if he is struggling for form and fitness at the moment.

As for the 352, we can't keep going into games with Luke Thomas as our main attacking outlet on the left. Whilst he has potential, he's not ready for that responsibility just yet. Look at the wide options that even West Ham have by comparison. Last night they could afford to start Bowen on the bench and yet still have the likes of Benrama, Lanzini and Lingard operating wide. Barnes' injury, Under falling out of favour and Gray being sold has left us desperately short of creativity out wide. This issue has been exacerbated by  Ricardo's struggles post injury, Justin's long term injury and Timmy appearing to prefer playing on the right, rather than the left. 

These issues out wide mean that we need all of the creativity we can cram into the team elsewhere. That's why Maddison has to start for me.

Castagne and Ricardo have been poor on the left though, Thomas at least gives us a bit more balance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think both arguments are right. If you put a team into last season's table on 63 points, they finish 5th. However, if you look at it another way, Chelsea or any club above them would still have finished 4th if they had only got 63 points, or even 62 and a good enough GD.

Yes, Chelsea could have lost the last game against Wolves and finished 4th with 63 points. But the fact was that 4th place had 66 points. Wouldn't have helped us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

66 points as Chelsea were 4th. Anything less got you 5th.

You are probably overthinking this slightly but I think I get what you are trying to say. It's a bit like saying Spurs just needed 71 points to win the league in 15/16.

No, but we did

Edited by WigstonWanderer

6 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

With a reported foot injury of Evans/ Fofana on Ramadan, an Barnes out for the season, could we not play a 4-4-2 diamond of

Castagne LB (BR said he doesn't like him LB as he likes to run forward and takes Barnes space, not applicable now. 

Evans (1st half/ Fofana 2nd half

Soyunchu

Ricardo (if fit) 

Ndidi

Tielmans

Maddison

Perez

Vardy

Iheanacho 

It gets more attacking players in the team, in their favoured positions an allows the Full backs a bit of space to run into. 

Nah can't see it

83/1 actually

I made an error thinking Chelsea finishing 4th would be a problem but it's doesn't matter for them.

All in all anyone who is spending time worrying about us finishing 4th and ahead of Chelsea while the London clubs sweep up the European trophies is wasting their energy. Better to spend it worrying about if we beat Newcastle.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheFish said:

Geordie in peace.

We play like we did against Arsenal and you could field your tea ladies, some fennel and a dartboard, and still stroll to victory.

Play like we did West Ham or Tottenham and you might have a game on your hands. Don't think we've any new injuries, but Schar will miss the game after the daft red he picked up. Willock will be back in the squad, which is good for us as he looks a real threat. Almiron, ASM, Wilson are all decent and Murphy and Ritchie can be threats from wingback. 'Keepers are both good, but both have a clanger in them.

Fairly sure you'll notch up a pretty comfortable 2-0 win. We're dreadful at defending, especially at defending counter attacks. Even though 1 win should be enough to guarantee safety, I expect Bruce to set us up to not lose, then appear surprised that we have. Almost like defending well requires coaching and organisation and not just picking 5 defenders.

Afterwards, he'll praise your team and imply we couldn't possibly compete with you (as he has done for literally every opponent including Brentford in the cup), he'll blame players/injuries/officials/travel, he'll agree Newcastle were awful but insist that they'll roll up their sleeves, dust themselves down, and go again. As he has done after every defeat. I swear, those sleeves get rolled up any more and the players'll be turning out in halter tops.

I hate him lads. I really, really hate the bloke. 

I'm mates with a toon fan and that was just like reading a message from him haha. I keep telling him that we'll happily swap the £30 million rated Perez and 10 million for Saint-Maximim but he doesn't seem keen... lol

I feel for you lot, it's been a shoddy 10 or so years, feels like a long time since you had the likes of Collocini, Debuchy, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cisse and Ba.

It'll be interesting if this takeover ever goes through.

God I’m nervous for this match. Many of our hopes for the club seem to revolve around it. Got to be the most important single match for ages. Yes, there’s the FA cup final, and I’d love us to win that for sentimental and romantic reasons, but in the longer term I can’t see it affecting the club’s future as much as this one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

God I’m nervous for this match. Many of our hopes for the club seem to revolve around it. Got to be the most important single match for ages. Yes, there’s the FA cup final, and I’d love us to win that for sentimental and romantic reasons, but in the longer term I can’t see it affecting the club’s future as much as this one.

Clam down, it’s all going to be fine

Was feeling much better about this game prior to reading this thread.

Same team as last week with either Ricado or Albrighton to come in for Thomas and I think we should be fine, someone just needs to tell Madders not to have pop show every time he gets within 30 yards of goal and maybe have one less touch when he's on the ball.

My main issue with last week was how slowly we moved the ball. I expect Newcastle to play similiarly to how Southampton did after the sending off, we just need to move the ball around quickly and positively like we are capable of and we'll create more than enough chances to win. If we are slow and laboured in possission like last Friday we'll make it so much more difficult for ourselves.

1 hour ago, TheFish said:

Geordie in peace.

We play like we did against Arsenal and you could field your tea ladies, some fennel and a dartboard, and still stroll to victory.

Our secret is out... SFE to announce fennel at CDM. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TheFish said:

Geordie in peace.

Play like we did West Ham or Tottenham and you might have a game on your hands. Don't think we've any new injuries, but Schar will miss the game after the daft red he picked up. Willock will be back in the squad, which is good for us as he looks a real threat. Almiron, ASM, Wilson are all decent and Murphy and Ritchie can be threats from wingback. 'Keepers are both good, but both have a clanger in them.

Fairly sure you'll notch up a pretty comfortable 2-0 win. We're dreadful at defending, especially at defending counter attacks. Even though 1 win should be enough to guarantee safety, I expect Bruce to set us up to not lose, then appear surprised that we have. Almost like defending well requires coaching and organisation and not just picking 5 defenders.

Afterwards, he'll praise your team and imply we couldn't possibly compete with you (as he has done for literally every opponent including Brentford in the cup), he'll blame players/injuries/officials/travel, he'll agree Newcastle were awful but insist that they'll roll up their sleeves, dust themselves down, and go again. As he has done after every defeat. I swear, those sleeves get rolled up any more and the players'll be turning out in halter tops.

I hate him lads. I really, really hate the bloke. 

I can imagine how irritating it is to hear that "We'll dust ourselves down" cliche every single week.

A bit like us years ago in the Championship under Rob Kelly where we'd "Redouble our efforts" on the training ground after every game. 

58 minutes ago, martyn said:

I can imagine how irritating it is to hear that "We'll dust ourselves down" cliche every single week.

A bit like us years ago in the Championship under Rob Kelly where we'd "Redouble our efforts" on the training ground after every game. 

The Emperor is coming here:frantics: