Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Newcastle Home pre match thread

4 minutes ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

I've said this for about 5 games on the spin now but we go again........

SEASON DEFINING 

To be fair, every game for the last few weeks and every game yet to come this season is.

To finish top 4, preferably 3rd, could be a real step for us to the next level. Could be the difference maker in not selling one of our "assets" this summer and Rodgers didn't exactly make a secret of it last summer that we maybe had to adjust a few of our targets because we missed out on top 4.

If we do achieve champions league football next season and if we keep the squad together, the lure of what we are and what we can achieve should be a big pull for a fair few players. If we can add 2 or 3 quality players (I.e Soumaré and Gosens plus the Vardy replacement we need) then we really can kick on.

Add to that, it's another reason for Rodgers not to leave just yet, then Friday is as close to a must win as we can get 

• Like 2

Really don’t see the comparisons to last season other than the goal is the same. 

Last season we were done for injuries, let a huge points lead slip, fcuked up in a FA Cup Quarter Final, dropped points down to last minute goals and head loss. 

This season - nowhere near the same injury list, points gap never as big, Cup Final, doing comebacks when making errors. 

The similarity in both seasons is probably the losses against Norwich and Fulham but generally ends there 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

41 minutes ago, davieG said:

13:53JORDAN BLACKWELL

Steve Bruce?

“I think Steve has done an outstanding job. He’s limited in terms of the budget he has to spend on players but he has had to go in and organise. Newcastle is an incredible club, the fanbase, the expectation there. He has organised them really well. You can see the football idea. I think he’s done an outstanding job and he’s shown he’s an excellent manager.”

Spent ~£100m (£65m Net) on a midtable squad with a top half defence. He's spent that wad on Joelinton (£40m), Wilson(£20m), ASM(£16m), Lewis (£15m) Krafth(£5m), Hendrick(£0), Fraser(£0). Safe to say he only got value on ASM and Wilson. Previous manager had a £10m Net spend and had to overhaul the squad to manage Championship, then again for PL survival. 

We're terrible in defense and generally clueless in midfield. Not organised at all.

Can you? I've watched us for over 30yrs and I can promise you the football under Bruce has been the worst I've ever seen.

Brendan, I respected you and thought you were a good man, but you're so wrong on this it's rendered everything you've achieved in the game utterly worthless. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Brendan, I respected you and thought you were a good man, but you're so wrong on this it's rendered everything you've achieved in the game utterly worthless. 

I believe you might be joking. You'd soon change your mind were he appointed to manage the Toon. 

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

I believe you might be joking. You'd soon change your mind were he appointed to manage the Toon. 

Course I'm joking, Rodgers is just trotting out the safe cliches that all managers deal in so as not to fall foul of gotcha journalism. 

He's hardly going to say Bruce was out of touch over a decade ago and hasn't improved since. 

Rodgers would have a really astute appointment by Ashley, which is why it was never on the cards. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Southampton away was Bournemouth away last year. Lost our heads in a situation where we should have been in control. Thankfully we managed to regroup quickly after going behind and got back level and tried to find the winner.

This Newcastle game is Sheff Utd. A routine 2 nil win with goals from Perez and Ricardo

I hope you’re right. I just worry the Southampton was just our Brighton or watford result from last year lol

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Darlow, Lascelles, Hayden, Fraser and Schar are all missing for Newcastle.

Their danger men of Saint-Maximin and Wilson available though. We need to be eyeful of their long ball over the top, they caught Liverpool's high line out a lot and we've been susceptible to that play a lot lately

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Their danger men of Saint-Maximin and Wilson available though. We need to be eyeful of their long ball over the top, they caught Liverpool's high line out a lot and we've been susceptible to that play a lot lately

That’s the issue really, they do have a serious goal threat. I do think if we get the opener we will cruise through. 

But the longer the wait the more I’ll expect them to score 

5 hours ago, TheFish said:

I always liked Perez. Works best as a second striker/AM who spends the game bothering the CBs and DMs of the opposition. £30m was over the odds for him, but given we spent £40m on a Brazilian plumber, who am I to judge? He seems to divide opinion on here?

The Saint is just a joy to watch. He's maybe not as good as Ben Arfa, or Robert, or Ginola (We bloody love a moody French winger up here). But to be fair to him, he's playing in a much, much worse side.

This takeover has been rumbling on for ages and I can't see an end in sight. Basically, Ashley is seeking arbitration because he believes the O&D test wasn't undertaken properly and they over-reached their remit. IF the arbitration finds in his favour the Saudi-lead consortium would likely come back to the table. Questions over controlling persons will be answered again and the deal should go through.

However, if the arbitration doesn't find in his favour, the Saudis may, or may not fancy another tilt at it. which could mean no takeover, or another protracted back and forth.

Also, if the ESL achieved anything, it was a review of the O&D test. The PL could have used that to bring in changes to the test which would prevent the Saudis from owning us. Maybe a line about "Owners cannot have dismembered a journalist", or something less on-the-nose?

I'm hoping Bill Gates fancies an ill-advised post-divorce purchase. Instead of a bright red Jaguar convertible, he buys a parochial English football team.

Not sure if Perez divides opinion on here. That would suggest at least one of us rates him as a good buy - and I'm not sure anyone does!

Have to say that I am a huge fan of ASM. He's such a threat and great fun to watch. Would love him at Leicester.

Hope your team roll over for us on Friday but then still stay up.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Really don’t see the comparisons to last season other than the goal is the same. 

Last season we were done for injuries, let a huge points lead slip, fcuked up in a FA Cup Quarter Final, dropped points down to last minute goals and head loss. 

This season - nowhere near the same injury list, points gap never as big, Cup Final, doing comebacks when making errors. 

The similarity in both seasons is probably the losses against Norwich and Fulham but generally ends there 

The only similarities that anyone will care about is the end result and the narrative we'll forever be tagged with. Teams have been waiting for this ever since we won it, let's not give them what they want.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Not sure if Perez divides opinion on here. That would suggest at least one of us rates him as a good buy - and I'm not sure anyone does!

Have to say that I am a huge fan of ASM. He's such a threat and great fun to watch. Would love him at Leicester.

Hope your team roll over for us on Friday but then still stay up.

Perez seems to like playing against a handful of the lower placed teams, Sheff Utd, Southampton and Newcastle. Because of this I suggest he starts possibly instead of Maddison. 

12 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

Perez seems to like playing against a handful of the lower placed teams, Sheff Utd, Southampton and Newcastle. Because of this I suggest he starts possibly instead of Maddison. 

What the hell is going on in your avatar mate? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I see what you mean on the whole. But whilst we probably do now have fewer injuries than we did in the run in last season, I still think that the ones we've had are hampering us a lot. We've lost so much threat and running power out wide with Barnes and Justin being out and Ricardo clearly not anywhere near his best after coming back from injury. And then on top of that, Maddison is way off his best form and fitness following his spell out with injury, limiting our creativity. Getting over the line in the face of all this will certainly require a lot of resilience.

• Like 1