Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Newcastle Home pre match thread

Still torn on what system we should be playing. We've got 3 attacking and creative players showing a modicum of form in Castagne, Tielemans and Iheanacho. The rest just don't seem to be firing as well as they can so what do we do? A back 4 is all well and good but who plays out wide? Albrighton wide left and Perez right? Ricardo on the wing who has been pretty mediocre anywhere he's played in recent months. Ünder might as well go back to Romas as he is done here and it looks like Praet has no support right now in the system we play to be considered.

We are desperate for Maddison to show his pre injury form but in this system he isn't far enough forward to do what he's best at which is getting shots off from around the edge of the area and scoring. He looks pretty broken at the minute and is a nuisance to the team. Perez to start and hope he scores against his old club again.

I'm wondering what's worse starting madison and having no effect or bringing him on as an impact sub to change things and still not having an effect. Thomas I don't mind but he's become shy at running the flank and delivering a quality pass like we know he can. Timmy is frustrating too sometimes when he has space once I wish once in a while he surprises his defender and takes him on and deliver a nice pass to Vardy or Nacho. Sometimes when the game is tight and pinging it back to defense is not working we need players to be brave. We've seen cats sometimes do this with a darting run to midfield but they should be practicing these moves on the training ground. Foxes need to be positive! Learn from the games we've won and repeat that formula.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

3 at back has seen us win 4 Draw 2 and lose 2 in 8 league games, and win 2 cup games.

It currently gets our best players on the pitch, with the except of Albrighton.

I don't see how switching to a 4 makes us strong when the only wide players we have are Albrighton and Perez.

I actually think the tempo we play at is more important the the formation. 

Yeah I'm not saying it's not the right system given the circumstances, however we haven't played a back 4 without Barnes this season and I'm just wondering if it might be possible with who we have available.currently Maddison is off form, Vardy very streaky in his output and the back 3 go from being very good to ridiculously exposed in equal measure. It's not by any means a faultless line up and formation right now and we can't afford to get it wrong now. I was alarmed by some of what I saw in the last 2.5 games.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah I'm not saying it's not the right system given the circumstances, however we haven't played a back 4 without Barnes this season and I'm just wondering if it might be possible with who we have available.currently Maddison is off form, Vardy very streaky in his output and the back 3 go from being very good to ridiculously exposed in equal measure. It's not by any means a faultless line up and formation right now and we can't afford to get it wrong now. I was alarmed by some of what I saw in the last 2.5 games.

I think it's more of a case of lack of energy and speed moving the ball, rather than formation, I do think 3 at the back makes some of our players look better and some worse, Maddison for instance seems to play a lot deeper and obviously Iheanacho is looking fantastic, but we do seem a lot better after a full 7 days between games and I'm hoping that's going to help us on Friday.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

I think it's more of a case of lack of energy and speed moving the ball, rather than formation, I do think 3 at the back makes some of our players look better and some worse, Maddison for instance seems to play a lot deeper and obviously Iheanacho is looking fantastic, but we do seem a lot better after a full 7 days between games and I'm hoping that's going to help us on Friday.

Agreed. I can certainly understand people's concerns about the formation, as I think we have probably looked at our best over this season and last with a back 4. However, I think it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that the formation is the be-all and end-all with regards to performances. As you say, energy, tempo and application are every bit as important as formation, if not much more so. We've occasionally played badly with a back 4 and sometimes played very well with 3 at the back. It's not like results have been bad lately playing 3 at the back, either.

I think it's hard to see past 3 at the back at the moment due to the players we have available to us. 3 of our best available players are centre-halves, we have our best winger out injured, leaving extremely limited options on the wing, and we have an on-fire striker who has to play in a 2 up front.

I also think we'll see improvement the longer we use the system as the players become more accustomed to it and BR can iron out the creases.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

So foot in both camps came up with so far

Nolberto Solano

Nikos Dabizas

Nigel Pearson

Ayoze Perez

Les Ferdinand

Danny Simpson

Mike Hooper

Keith Gillespie

Steve Howey

• Like 1

Already feeling the onset of squeaky bum syndrome! If we start fast and strong we will create the opportunities we just gotta flippin finish them otherwise it’s gonna be like Southampton all over again. Win and win big make a statement to the chasing pack that they can all bugger off. 3rd spot is ours and we ain’t surrendering 

Agree with what others have said about tempo being more important than formation. I really, really hope we're ****ing on it from the first minute on Friday. We've started the last two games sluggishly; managed to get out of jail v Palace but not quite at St Mary's. They'll look to sit in and frustrate us so we need to start like men possessed as soon as that whistle goes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I actually think the tempo we play at is more important than the formation. 

People who bang on that we 'shouldn't be playing five at the back' should digest that one superb line of yours, coolhandfox.

2 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

So foot in both camps came up with so far

Nolberto Solano

Nikos Dabizas

Nigel Pearson

Ayoze Perez

Les Ferdinand

Danny Simpson

Franz Carr

49 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

People who bang on that we 'shouldn't be playing five at the back' should digest that one superb line of yours, coolhandfox.

A back 3 does encourage us to go backwards/sideways imo and is a high tempo hindered by a back 3?