Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Newcastle Home pre match thread

(I have checked the tactics talk thread)

Question for the tactista's, is Maddison struggling because of Iheanacho in the team? 

My reactionary selection is; 

Schmeichel 

Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Castagne

Ndidi #Tielbantz

Perez Iheanacho Albrighton 

Vardy

My balanced selection is;

Schmeichel 

Fofana Evans Soyuncu

Ricardo Ndidi Tielemans Castagne

Maddison

Vardy Seniorman

Everything that worked against Palace, didn't seem to vs Saints. 

Brendan will make changes if he needs to. 

I'm confident Steve Bruce will take the pragmatic route and follow the 'sit back and counter' strategy against us. 

They still have to close their season, so expect a contest. 

With that in mind, perhaps the safer and seemingly more stable option would be to keep the balanced selection above. 

4 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

Question for the tactista's, is Maddison struggling because of Iheanacho in the team? 

Schmeichel 

Ndidi #Tielbantz

Vardy

Schmeichel 

Fofana Evans Soyuncu

Maddison

Vardy Seniorman

I'm confident Steve Bruce will take the pragmatic route and follow the 'sit back and counter' strategy against us. 

With that in mind, perhaps the safer and seemingly more stable option would be to keep the balanced selection above. 

Looking at your reactionary selection you've got Perez out on the wing. That's never a good thing surely?

I also think Castagne is best on the right now, and has more of a stake playing there than a still not 100% Ricardo or anyone else. (But as I will say below I think he'll end up playing on the left as a necessity).

Biggest problem I thought during Southampton game was how tired we looked. I know Brendan mentioned it post game but I felt from the first few minutes we looked leggy, and while we were always likely to get more chances than the Saints (even if they kept 11 men on the pitch) we weren't going to be the attacking force we sometimes are.

Tielmans has played a lot of football this season and the last 2 games he's not been at his best, and this affects the whole team.

Add to this an out of form Maddison and it was always going to be hard work creating good goalscoring opportunities.

Thats not to say we didn't create some in the game, and Vardy,  in particular, could have done better at times I am sure with the opportunities he got.

We now have a week to recharge the batteries. 

Then a congested fixture list including a cup final until the end. Lets hope we find the energy from somewhere.

For me the biggest selection problem is Maddison. He played his first 90 mins on Friday since his return, and it wasn't a good performance. Brendan kept him on though, so is he confident that 2 more games (Newcastle and Man United) will get him back up to speed before the all important cup match against Chelsea? 

If he is, an in form Maddison will go a long way to helping the team create chances, and I feel he can play that role in behind Vady and Iheanacho well, if he doesn't drop too deep. 

If he's not likely to be, then I think we have to persist with Perez, who I dont think is as bad in the number 10 role as others seem to make out. 

I would like to see Praet come on occasionally if we're winning to give Youri a bit of a rest, but I am sure Rodgers understands how tired Tielemans is better than any of us, so I'm happy with however he chooses to judge that. 

As for who plays at the back on the left, again I think Rodgers has to judge the progress Thomas is making, but personally I'd play Castagne here (even if I want him on the right) and then its a case of seeing if Ricardo is fit enough, or playing Albrighton on the right.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

Schmeichel 

Ndidi #Tielbantz

Vardy

Schmeichel 

Fofana Evans Soyuncu

Maddison

Vardy Seniorman

...Palace started the game in the front foot!!!

The thinking would have been that the would sit and play us on the counter. Obviously that in a way suited us but we conceded a poor goal then struggled to beat a team who dropped off in order to play on the counter. 

Responding to my reactionary selection :D, Perez on the right wing , I wouldn't say never owing to that, overall, the games where he's played in that position have been his most successful. 

I'm just living in hope that Ricardo makes his step back up soon, it's got to happen at some point, surely. 

Maddison is a concern because of his fitness, head space and form, I think it better he starts though.

How he's been playing recently, it seems quite easy to gauge if he's going to influence the game or not, so at leat we have a good sub in Perez. 

6 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

Responding to my reactionary selection :D, Perez on the right wing , I wouldn't say never owing to that, overall, the games where he's played in that position have been his most successful. 

I'm just living in hope that Ricardo makes his step back up soon, it's got to happen at some point, surely. 

Maddison is a concern because of his fitness, head space and form, I think it better he starts though.

How he's been playing recently, it seems quite easy to gauge if he's going to influence the game or not, so at leat we have a good sub in Perez. 

...with all of those question marks you are still going to play Madders over Perez!!!

Perez at this moment adds more to the team than Maddison,  Rodgers decision to play him was an attempt to getting him back to form but he has been more effective off the bench before and therefore that would be the better option.

• Like 3

Yes, even with those question marks I'd still start him.

Maddison is our first choice Number 10, he was signed to do that role, so for me he has to have that chance to fulfil that role.

Like I say, at the moment it's easy to gauge how he's going to play from the off, so if he's not delivering sub on Perez or Praet. 

1 hour ago, Danny Clender said:

Yes, even with those question marks I'd still start him.

Maddison is our first choice Number 10, he was signed to do that role, so for me he has to have that chance to fulfil that role.

Like I say, at the moment it's easy to gauge how he's going to play from the off, so if he's not delivering sub on Perez or Praet. 

....so after 20 minutes we use one of our subs!!!

Fofana picks up a yellow and Evans is injured and has to come off. We bring on Soyuncu and that's two subs down with Fofana a walking red card.

Starting Maddison is a luxury we can not afford, to see if he is up for it today.

• Haha 1

I think I'd start Maddison, he got another 90 minutes in the tank and will have a weeks rest. If after 60 minutes it's not working we can throw Perez on as well or swap them both around. Although he doesn't look fit or in good condition, the only way he's going to get there is by playing minutes, and we'll definitely need him for the last 3 games and the FA Cup final.

• Like 1

Hoping Manure lose today we pick up 3points Friday V Newcastle get touching distance to 2nd, would love for us to overtake Manure and grab 2nd place after watching Manure take our CL spot last season just hoping we can keep the squad injury free for last 4 League games and for the FA Cup Final too ?🙏

COME ON YOU AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL FOXES IT’S OUR TURN TO SHINE !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They like to sit back and use pace on the counter. Our biggest undoing this season. We need an early goal and I really, really, really hope we put in a top performance with minimal stress. Please!!!

352 but sit Wilf behind Youri and Maddison, have those 2 sit slightly higher, Wilf tasked with checking runners on the break.

We'd rather have Man United lose to Aston Villa or Fulham in the remaining matches, not today. A win for them, a win for us on Friday and Liverpool cannot overtake us on points.