Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Newcastle Home pre match thread

4 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

So foot in both camps came up with so far

Nolberto Solano

Nikos Dabizas

Nigel Pearson

Ayoze Perez

Les Ferdinand

Danny Simpson

Ken Leek

Keith Robson

Paul Kitson

Edited by Blue Fox 72

Momentum is huge in sports. Results this weekend - ours, West Ham's and the postponement of the Liverpool game have changed the momentum we had built with our previous 2 results. Beat Newcastle on Friday and the momentum will be with us again, as the pressure on West Ham and Liverpool will be immense knowing that they can't afford to slip up. If we fail to beat Newcastle they'll taste blood, particularly given the caliber of opposition we'll be facing in our final 3 fixtures. Although not beating Newcastle certainly won't be terminal, I think it could well be the defining moment of our Premier League season. We have to be positive and get on the front foot early in the game, like we did at Villa and more recently against West Brom. Play like we did against Palace and Southampton and I fear the worst. Time to follow Jonny's example and stand up and be counted lads!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah I'm not saying it's not the right system given the circumstances, however we haven't played a back 4 without Barnes this season and I'm just wondering if it might be possible with who we have available.currently Maddison is off form, Vardy very streaky in his output and the back 3 go from being very good to ridiculously exposed in equal measure. It's not by any means a faultless line up and formation right now and we can't afford to get it wrong now. I was alarmed by some of what I saw in the last 2.5 games.

Exactly 2.5 games ago Rodgers apparently gave them a bollocking at half time when 3 - 0 up vs West Brom. We seem to have been shit ever since. I thought at the time he was being harsh. Just sayin.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Exactly 2.5 games ago Rodgers apparently gave them a bollocking at half time when 3 - 0 up vs West Brom. We seem to have been shit ever since. I thought at the time he was being harsh. Just sayin.

29 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

It’s nerves mate, nothing more than that.

You could see in both games that our players were feeling extra pressure. Soyuncu surprisingly looked very uncomfortable and he’s one I thought would have nerves of steel. 

I think an early lead would turn us back to our usual selves but neither game has gone to plan 

34 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

It’s nerves mate, nothing more than that.

You could see in both games that our players were feeling extra pressure. Soyuncu surprisingly looked very uncomfortable and he’s one I thought would have nerves of steel. 

I think an early lead would turn us back to our usual selves but neither game has gone to plan 

Always thought the opposite mate. Under all that tough guy bravado he can really lose his head. Concentration is the first to go.

... and then there’s kicking lumps out of opposition players when the season is slipping out from underneath him lol 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

In the first half of the West Brom game it seemed like we were taking more risks with our passing, which led to our looking very dangerous but also turning over possession more than usual.  Brendan loves us to control games, however, and since half time of that game it is very noticeable that we've gone back to very safe recycling of possession.

Edited by Sunbury Fox

6 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

What did he give them a bollocking for ?

4 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

What did he give them a bollocking for ?

He was quite angry on the touch line before half time and spoke afterwards about them giving the ball away too much. It’s a bit of a trade off though. Take a few chances and score some goals or safely keep possession, but don’t actually score.

• Like 1

In football, sometimes you need to take risks; in order to create chances and win games. 

Players can’t win.

Fans becoming frustrated with players give the ball away passing forwards.

Fans become frustrated with players passing “sideways or backwards”.

Sky would still roll out the silly % accuracy and passes completed stats.  

11 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Agreed. I can certainly understand people's concerns about the formation, as I think we have probably looked at our best over this season and last with a back 4. However, I think it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that the formation is the be-all and end-all with regards to performances. As you say, energy, tempo and application are every bit as important as formation, if not much more so. We've occasionally played badly with a back 4 and sometimes played very well with 3 at the back. It's not like results have been bad lately playing 3 at the back, either.

I think it's hard to see past 3 at the back at the moment due to the players we have available to us. 3 of our best available players are centre-halves, we have our best winger out injured, leaving extremely limited options on the wing, and we have an on-fire striker who has to play in a 2 up front.

I also think we'll see improvement the longer we use the system as the players become more accustomed to it and BR can iron out the creases.

Yeah, without Barnes and with Iheanacho I can't see any alternative, you can almost see at the start how it's going to pan out, against WBA, we had the back 3 playing balls forward to Teilemans and the wing backs from the start with sideways passes moving quickly dragging their players out of position.

I guess its easy to fall into the trap of playing safe and it seems easier to fall into it with 3 at the back, or maybe the gaps weren't there against Southampton, we did look static at times and there weren't obvious options.

Like you mention BR will sort it out and he's the first to mention the lack of speed and aggression in the play, so it's not as though

he's unaware.

I think we've looked a lot better after 7 days between games, some of the problem games have been with 3 or 4 day gaps. Our play does rely on that speed and intensity and being able to reach those levels is easier with a week between games.

I think we'll look back to our best on Friday.

• Like 3

I think Rodgers demeanour has changed somewhat in recent weeks, whether it's those players that have let him down or its just because he's determined to not let us get complacent but he's not quite as calm and laid back as he usually is. 

Let's hope the change in approach pays off, he needs to get our players in the best mental shape as these next few weeks will be torture.

1 minute ago, Sly said:

In football, sometimes you need to take risks; in order to create chances and win games. 

Players can’t win.

Fans becoming frustrated with players give the ball away passing forwards.

Fans become frustrated with players passing “sideways or backwards”.

Sky would still roll out the silly % accuracy and passes completed stats.  

...this team finds it difficult to maintain form and discipline especially when we are in the ascendancy!!!

We start to overplay, instead of keeping it simple and doing the things that have put us in this advantageous position we start to make errors by showboating back heels, outside of the foot short passes and generally letting the opposition off the hook as we lose our rhythm.  

Take the 9-0 Southampton game, where Rodgers directed the play in the pouring rain every minute of that game. It also helped that Evans was driving the players on the pitch as they were aware there was a kind of history to be made.

I have said it before,  the following games after that result, we overplayed and struggled to get back to our natural rhythm as we believed we could play like the Southampton game every time we turned up, forgetting all the hard work it took to get us there.

21 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

He was quite angry on the touch line before half time and spoke afterwards about them giving the ball away too much. It’s a bit of a trade off though. Take a few chances and score some goals or safely keep possession, but don’t actually score.

Exactly, this cautious cautious, side to side don't lose the ball at all costs maxim stifles any flair and pace in our side. Even a chimp could work out what we do in the first half let alone an astute Premiership manager. It could have cost us so many times over the last few weeks and we've been very fortunate that second half tweaks in formation or personal have rescued us at times. If you set out believing and to try and win a game, like true champions do, you stand a reasonable chance of succeeding. If you set out to merely not lose I think a win is less likely. We have a lot of talent in our current squad and are really only now missing Barnes who could make a noticeable difference. I still believe this group of players are capable of more if played in their best positions with the brakes released a little more. 

45 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...not doing the basics right!!!

If by 'not doing the basics' we can be 3 nil at half time every week I'll take that. Sometimes slavishly following a regular pattern or system can stifle natural talent and flair. When oppositions know that a tippy tappy side to side conservative approach is to be employed every first half then sometimes it can be easily worked out and countered, by even the so called lesser teams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

If by 'not doing the basics' we can be 3 nil at half time every week I'll take that. Sometimes slavishly following a regular pattern or system can stifle natural talent and flair. When oppositions know that a tippy tappy side to side conservative approach is to be employed every first half then sometimes it can be easily worked out and countered, by even the so called lesser teams.

...I understand that!!!

Being 3-0 up led to the problem where we failed to do what we should. In that situation we are also looking to improve our goal difference and making poor decisions and hollywood passes were not helping the cause.

We do become less professional when in the ascendancy and it is the need for a ruthless streak to become a part of our mentality. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...not doing the basics right!!!

When we were 3-0 up !!! 
i would much prefer to watch how we played against West Brom even if we did give the ball away a few times than the dross they served up against Southampton.

35 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

castagne

evans

soyuncu

thomas

ricardo

ndidi

tielemens 

albrighton

maddison

iheanacho

No idea what Maddison has done to be included. If we are desperate for a 4 at the back, then go 442, but not Kel on his own fgs, put him with Vardy, and cross your fingers that Youri and Wilf are seriously on it too, else its overrun in midfield