Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Newcastle Home pre match thread

Potential injuries or suspensions aside, I suspect it will be this:

Newcastle

Schmeichel

Fofana - Evans - Soyuncu

Ricardo                                 Castagne

Ndidi      Tielemans

Maddison

Vardy - Iheanacho

Man Utd

Schmeichel

Fofana - Evans - Soyuncu

Albrighton                                   Castagne

Ndidi      Tielemans

Perez

Vardy - Iheanacho

Albrighton and Perez to give us some much needed energy and allows Ricardo and Maddison to recover for the cup final.

3 minutes ago, Nick said:

I wouldn’t know! I make the picks often a few weeks in advance! Third? I’ll take that! 

Is WiFoxes you as well? You’ve smashed the exact scores @Col city fan - 126! That’s pretty impressive when you compare to the rest of the field.

Edited by Nick

17 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Though I admire your optimism I wonder whether this is why you are only third on Superbru?

Have you seen who’s top btw?

Although I have to doth my cap to you somewhat, your performance this season is so much better than last term.

At least you’ve made the top 50 this time

👍

I mis read this as being optimistic due to being on your 3rd Special Brew :D

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think I agree but let me ask you this. Assuming we beat the Geordies, where do we pick up points from the last three games? In your opinion 

There's so many factors at play. Gut instinct based on past in built fear would be none of them but we were unbeaten in these 3 fixtures earlier this season and last season we collected 4 points from these 3 games at the respective venues.

Spurs represents the best opportunity for a few reasons, 1) they have equally as suspect ability to win high profile games, 2) a very inexperienced caretaker manager and 3) unless they win their next 3 league games will be out of it.

The Man Utd game is another thst we ought to have a fighting chance in, especially assuming we win this Friday and are once again back in the groove. Utd's potential problems with protesting fans is bound to have an effect (maybe so on us too) and as 2nd is likely to be all but secure for them, they have in the past taken their eye off the ball and I'd hope we could be on it to pounce.

Chelsea game is riddled with caveats and the possible outcome of the FA Cup final just a few days before being a factor.

I could see us win 1 and draw 1 or 2, I could see us 1 win and lose 2 but I cannot accept or think we will lose all 3.

• Like 4

Schmeichel

Castagne/Ricardo

Evans

Soyuncu

Thomas

Ndidi

Tielemans

Albrighton/Castagne

Maddison

Vardy

Nacho

Let's get some bodies in the other teams half!

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

At the Saints game, the red card was a problem for both teams (It has been under discussion on The Athletic) as it was precisely what we did not want to happen. Down to 10 seems great, but in reality it causes teams to shut up shop. I realise it never happened last year when Saints when down to 10, but at that point they were already a goal down, whereas this year, they were not behind, so shutting down was a valid way to claim a beneficial point for Saints  

..but they did not shut down straight after the red!!!

They were the team on the front foot and looked more dangerous going forward. 

Edited by sacreblueits442

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

..but they did shut down straight after the red!!!

They were the team on the front foot and looked more dangerous going forward. 

I assume you mean last year? :dunno:

Friday it was very open until the Red, and I agree, Saints fashioning some decent chances, but I would still have fancied us on 11v11 with no deep block

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

I assume you mean last year? :dunno:

Friday it was very open until the Red, and I agree, Saints fashioning some decent chances, but I would still have fancied us on 11v11 with no deep block

...when I submitted the post I read it and noticed that "not" was not in the sentence. Corrected it immediately but you must have picked it up straight away. 

I was talking about  Firday.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I assume he will to continue his return to full fitness 

last Friday was his first full 90 and he spoke about that afterwards 

Rodgers wants a fully fit Maddison for the cup final a week later 

I think he will start on Friday but he could well be on the bench at OT 

What's more important... 3 points or maddison getting practice?

Put him on when we are 3 up

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

What's more important... 3 points or maddison getting practice?

Put him on when we are 3 up

its not just about friday night - its about the remaining four games aswell - a fully fit madders gives a better chance of wins against chelsea and spurs (i dont think he starts at yanited as mentioned earlier)

5 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Pérez will start next game. Maddison has been very poor as of late. #perezIN

Did state earlier than Maddison does not deserve to start, now it is getting closer, I am just not sure (Like it makes a huge difference what I think lol )

On the one hand, Maddison has been cack for a while now, and Perez certainly seemed preferable on a crappy Friday, but

On the other hand, I always feel Maddison could come up with a bit of magic, be it free kick, through ball, etc....  :S

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1

Newcastle appear to be more than happy to attack at the moment. I thought they were pretty poor at the weekend and gave Arsenal way too much room to hurt them. If we lose this we will have to have an absolute rotter and they will have to have the game of their life. Having said that we’re more than capable of doing this, but, I don’t think we will. I think we will see them off comfortably.

Momentum is key in sports. We lost a bit after the last round of results. Beat Newcastle and we get that momentum back. West Ham and Liverpool (West Ham would be 8 points adrift with a possible 12 on the table, Liverpool 13 adrift with a maximum of 15 on the table) would then be under immense pressure to "run the table" as they say in the NFL. Do the business on Friday and we take the pressure off ourselves and heap it on to the chasing pack. The Newcastle game could well be the defining moment of our Premier League season.

53 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

its not just about friday night - its about the remaining four games aswell - a fully fit madders gives a better chance of wins against chelsea and spurs (i dont think he starts at yanited as mentioned earlier)

I would start him on the bench... i understand that you would go the other route

23 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Newcastle appear to be more than happy to attack at the moment. I thought they were pretty poor at the weekend and gave Arsenal way too much room to hurt them. If we lose this we will have to have an absolute rotter and they will have to have the game of their life. Having said that we’re more than capable of doing this, but, I don’t think we will. I think we will see them off comfortably.

The bits that concern me right now is that defensive high line in the back 3, it's as if they think with an extra man that one will bail the other two out but its a pretty scary prospect. We saw Palace do it to us twice but thankfully we survived one of those chances and West Ham cut us open a number of times too.

Newcastle have Wilson who loves playing milimeteres off the shoulder of the last line of defence. I hope we are wise to that.

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The bits that concern me right now is that defensive high line in the back 3, it's as if they think with an extra man that one will bail the other two out but its a pretty scary prospect. We saw Palace do it to us twice but thankfully we survived one of those chances and West Ham cut us open a number of times too.

Newcastle have Wilson who loves playing milimeteres off the shoulder of the last line of defence. I hope we are wise to that.

Maxi will run through them for fun as well if given the chance

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ndidi will snuff him

Let's hope so!

I will say this, if Brendan Rodgers loses in a battle of wits to Steve Bruce, it's gonna take him a lot of good work to win me back around

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There is that, but they’ve lost Shar haven’t they? Which would impact the way they set up. I’m confident they haven’t got the defensive capabilities to keep us out for 90 minutes, even if they score first. We’ve just got to really go at them. Get this win and it’s more or less done, plus it heaps the pressure on the chasing pack, even Chelsea would struggle to close that gap, they’ve got to play Man City and Arsenal. If we win, and Chelsea lose, I’d be confident to say that’s that, bar a major collapse on form. The difference sis we’re not losing games, Man City and West Ham aside we’ve not been on a bad run all season, and I’m confident we’ve got enough in us to get the job done. 

Could be a “shackles” off moment on Friday, I think we will stick a few past them.

• Like 1

Surprised to see people wanting Perez in ahead of Maddison. Maddison is at least twice the player, even if he is struggling for form and fitness at the moment.

As for the 352, we can't keep going into games with Luke Thomas as our main attacking outlet on the left. Whilst he has potential, he's not ready for that responsibility just yet. Look at the wide options that even West Ham have by comparison. Last night they could afford to start Bowen on the bench and yet still have the likes of Benrama, Lanzini and Lingard operating wide. Barnes' injury, Under falling out of favour and Gray being sold has left us desperately short of creativity out wide. This issue has been exacerbated by  Ricardo's struggles post injury, Justin's long term injury and Timmy appearing to prefer playing on the right, rather than the left. 

These issues out wide mean that we need all of the creativity we can cram into the team elsewhere. That's why Maddison has to start for me.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I still have a fear that I’ll be caught Nick

Saints 67 and yourself keep on amassing them points

👍

Oh I see - there are two FT leagues you know? You are 2nd in the big one and WiFi foxes is first...