Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Newcastle Home pre match thread

23 minutes ago, Mr Mister said:

I think we will lose this game.

Ye of Little faith !!

it’ll be a 1-1 draw with 20 seconds left and Nacho will score a bicycle kick just off from the penalty spot from a cross from Maddison !!

Vardy will grab the first !😉

2 hours ago, Mr Mister said:

I think we will lose this game.

Good man.  There's been far too much optimism in the pre match threads of late. 

Expected disappointment usual bodes well match day. 

• Haha 1

It would be so nice for this game to go like the West Brom match a couple of weeks back and be all over at half time. As much as I enjoyed the Palace match a few days later I can’t be taking the tight pressure games to often these days. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

It would be so nice for this game to go like the West Brom match a couple of weeks back and be all over at half time. As much as I enjoyed the Palace match a few days later I can’t be taking the tight pressure games to often these days. 

Just a lead by HT would be nice. Come out 2nd half knowing you have control and can potentially counter for another goal if the opposition do open up.

• Like 1

Posted this in the Do they mean Us thread probably better in here

https://www.themag.co.uk/2021/05/newcastle-united-players-who-would-get-in-this-leicester-city-team/

OPINION
Newcastle United players who would get in this Leicester City team

I was thinking, which Newcastle United players would get in this Leicester City team?

Clearly Leicester have got a far better team, the Premier League table doesn’t lie.

Friday night’s match sees third top against fourth bottom, enough said.

As for comparing the two managers…don’t even go there.

I was interested to just go through and see which Newcastle United players would make it into a best eleven of the two squads…

Goalkeeper

Kasper Schmeichel

Obviously I rate Martin Dubravka and he wouldn’t let anybody down whoever he plays for.

However, hand on heart, you still couldn’t put him in ahead of Schmeichel who has done it year after year, including winning the title.

Full-backs

Ricardo Pereira, James Justin, Luke Thomas, Timothy Castagne

This is not even worth talking about.

The likes of Pereira, Castagne and Justin are real quality players. Do Newcastle United have even one good full-back / wing-back?

We have some honest tryers at Newcastle but Steve Bruce has paid £15m for Jamal Lewis and he can’t even get a game ahead of some very average players. If / when Ritchie leaves, he is going to a Championship club.

Centre-backs

Jonny Evans, Caglar Soyuncu, Wesley Fofana

An area where Newcastle have the most strength in depth but if we are honest, they are much of a muchness. Plus, difficult to ignore the fact that only three Premier League clubs have conceded more than NUFC up to now this season.
All three of the Leicester players listed above are better quality than anything Newcastle have, harsh but true.

Central midfielders
Youri Tielemans, Wilfred Ndidi, Nampalys Mendy, Hamza Choudhury

An embarrassing no contest.

To compare Tielemans and Ndidi to Jonjo Shelvey is just painful. Even Isaac Hayden, very popular with Newcastle fans but also very limited. Does a job and tries hard but also levels below the Leicester options.

Attacking midfielders
James Maddison, Harvey Barnes, Marc Albrighton

Allan Saint-Maximin is the name that obviously springs to mind. However, when you look at Harvey Barnes with nine goals in just 22 PL starts this season, directly involved (goals and assists) in 27 goals in 46 PL starts these past two season, Maddison directly involved in 36 goals in 85 PL starts these past three seasons, ASM’s six goals and eight assists in the PL these past two seasons don’t come close.
Maybe under a different manager who knows, you can the same to an extent about Almiron. The negative tactics employed by Steve Bruce make it so difficult for flair / attacking players at Newcastle.

Strikers

Jamie Vardy, Kelechi Iheanacho, Ayoze Perez

Callum Wilson is a good striker but Jamie Vardy one of the very best. You would have to say as well that Iheanacho is now showing he is very good and would also get into a team ahead of the Newcastle striker. As for the claims of Joelinton, Andy Carroll and Dwight Gayle…

Summing up

Looking at the complete picture, I can’t see a single Newcastle player getting into a combined team of the two squads.

Leicester City have bought consistently well, yes they will have the odd signing that doesn’t work out but that happens to all clubs.

A sobering thought as well that Steve Bruce has been allowed a net spend of over £100m on transfers in his four transfer windows, in the same four windows Brendan Rodgers has had a net spend of £18m on transfers.

The combined talents of Mike Ashley and Steve Bruce have spent more on Joelinton than Leicester have done on any of their players.

In the recent game against Burnley, Joelinton was the only Steve Bruce signing in the starting eleven, on the bench seven of the eight outfield players were Bruce signings. These last three matches after Burnley, only two Steve Bruce signings have started each one. That is after the NUFC Head Coach has been allowed to make 14 permanent and temporary signings since he arrived two years ago.

The whole set-up at Newcastle United is so amateurish and nowhere more so than player recruitment, nobody even knowing who is the main man making many of the signings – Ashley, Charnley, Nickson, Bruce…?

Still doesn't guarantee us a win?

• Like 1

If we draw or lose this game, I think it may be terminal for the rest of the season.

So I pray we turn up from the first minute and do not have to hear these post match comments we started too slow and tempo was not there blah blah blah.

Turn up lads and do a professional job.   Madders you owe us one.

12 hours ago, justfoxes said:

Ye of Little faith !!

it’ll be a 1-1 draw with 20 seconds left and Nacho will score a bicycle kick just off from the penalty spot from a cross from Maddison !!

Vardy will grab the first !😉

I can see it now. Bicycle kick ruled out by VAR. High foot. 

55 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Nope, if they lose a man I would expect us to hammer them. We should have done that to Southampton say the stats.

Remember any clear chances other than Vardy's and Evans' goal? Maddison contributed to about half of the 25 odd shots

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Remember any clear chances other than Vardy's and Evans' goal? Maddison contributed to about half of the 25 odd shots

Maddison's poor technique aside , with all that possession and control we should have won easily. You have to outthink the defensive traps. In the end that is the definition of top team.

11 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Ndidi should have scored. Other than that all half chances if I remember.

Teilemans in the first half, 9 times out of 10 he puts that in the far corner. Good  save from Perez second half, maybe Perez should have done better, Just watched the whole game again, while we weren't anywhere near our best we still created enough to win and unlucky to concede a penalty, don't know how else they would have scored.

13 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Maddison's poor technique aside , with all that possession and control we should have won easily. You have to outthink the defensive traps. In the end that is the definition of top team.

I'd agree totally, we'll always struggle to break down teams playing the way we currently do. More often than not, we only have 1 or 2 people in the box, I miss us being an attacking team. If we started games that way that we play for 5-10 mins after scoring, we'd blow teams away in the first half hour.