Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
splinterdream

How many signings will we make?

7 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

Then we will still won't have cover for Barnes, so no Barnes and no 4231, the whole preferred 4231 system gone when one player's out.

Surely a left winger is a priority?

The squad for defence is as good as I've ever seen it,  3 fantastic CB's and Castagne/Ricardo RB, Thomas/JJ LB and the option of some being able to swap between CB and full back and swapping from LB to RB, that's 7 class players for 4 places with 4231.

Then no right wingers and one left winger who's got a long tern injury and no one who is good enough to even be tried in that position.

I think 1 RW could be enough. Would give us 4 players for the 2 positions: 

Barnes / Sowah / Albrighton / New RW  

would also have Perez in all likelihood who could play there if needed, or even Édouard on the left maybe if it’s more of a flat 4-3-3. 

25 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Entirely possible that Kamal Sowah is going to be that player and he can cover both wings and attacking midfield.

Barnes is also going to be back for pre-season.

Hopefully and great news about Barnes, still think the squad is as good as you could hope for defensively and massively lacking in proven wingers.

30 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

I think 1 RW could be enough. Would give us 4 players for the 2 positions: 

Barnes / Sowah / Albrighton / New RW  

would also have Perez in all likelihood who could play there if needed, or even Édouard on the left maybe if it’s more of a flat 4-3-3. 

That's a pretty poor looking squad option for for 2 places in a starting 11 and that's assuming there all fit.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

That's a pretty poor looking squad option for for 2 places in a starting 11 and that's assuming there all fit.

Depends, if the new RW is of sufficient quality (similar level to Barnes), then backups of Sowah, Albrighton and Perez look pretty decent to me. Especially given that we won’t always be playing with wingers going forward I imagine, will be dependant on opponent I’d guess. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

Anyone else wonder if there are two different transfer plans - one with and one without Your?

His leaving would affect things massively and we may not know for a month or more

I expect 3 plans. Who can replace him if he leaves this summer, who could be brought in to be ready to replace him next summer if he doesn't extend his contract, how can the money be spent, if any, if he extends his contract during this window.

6 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

At least 5 it'll be busy this summer.

Losing Morgan, Fuchs, Ünder. That's 3 already that need replacing.

Already lined up soumare and Bertrand. I'm thinking at least 3 more to come in.

That might be on top of KDH and Sowal

I really hope so. if nothing else the last 2 seasons have exposed the soft under-belly in the squad in terms of depth of quality available. I don't think we can be looking to either KDH or Sowal to fill in to any significant degree.

Depending on the recovery of Justin at least one full back is required.

With Morgan leaving and Benkovic probably too a new CB is required. Especially as Evans can't play every game.

The RW position has never been covered since Mahrez left and is major requirement.

Midfield. Who knows frankly. A lot will depend on who leaves. Have to think, Hamza, Praet and Mendy could all leave or at least one or two. Then there is the chance of losing Youri too.

Hamza isn't good enough and Brendan doesn't seem to trust Praet so I'd say we need at least 2 possibly three new midfielders to give us a lot more dynamism. We urgently need a ball carrying midfielder.  Our back up midfield is simply not good enough.

Clearly also need another striker.

1 hour ago, FoxesWalk said:

Depends, if the new RW is of sufficient quality (similar level to Barnes), then backups of Sowah, Albrighton and Perez look pretty decent to me. Especially given that we won’t always be playing with wingers going forward I imagine, will be dependant on opponent I’d guess. 

Sowah is an attacking midfielder not a winger. He isn't proven at prem level although he has played well for Leuven and I'd expect him to be behind Soumare and then KDH in that order. Soumare I would imagine will operate straight through the middle of the park with Tielemans to the left and KDH plays a very similar style too. Sowah plays where Praet operates more to the right of centre mid I.e  Perez and that's been our biggest flaw this season because aside from Albrighton operating as a right winger then all we have after that is Perez except he operates between the wing and the center right forward. 

We need to go into next seadon firing on all cylinders with players that are proven by playing at the top. Soumare is one ,  Edouard ,  Bertrand .  I can see those as certain signings. KDH isn't proven although we know that he shouldn't be too far behind touch wood. Sowah is unproven and carries the most uncertainty for a squad that BR has said he needs I.e  experience and with I think he'll get another mature signing in the middle of the park if Praet goes which begs the question whether Sowah gets in the first 25, development squad or leaves.

As for other signings I still think we need a left winger and Albrighton is getting on a bit now as a backup. I still have reservations about Thomas especially going into that winger position as a wing back and I can see him being no2 behind Bertrand at RB. CB we need another and there are a host of links being made but I'd be surprised if we don't get one for a 3 at the back formation and now morgan has gone. Left footed RW would be my marquee signing. Striker as in Edouard. CDM if Mendy goes.

3 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Sowah is an attacking midfielder not a winger. He isn't proven at prem level although he has played well for Leuven and I'd expect him to be behind Soumare and then KDH in that order. Soumare I would imagine will operate straight through the middle of the park with Tielemans to the left and KDH plays a very similar style too. Sowah plays where Praet operates more to the right of centre mid I.e  Perez and that's been our biggest flaw this season because aside from Albrighton operating as a right winger then all we have after that is Perez except he operates between the wing and the center right forward. 

We need to go into next seadon firing on all cylinders with players that are proven by playing at the top. Soumare is one ,  Edouard ,  Bertrand .  I can see those as certain signings. KDH isn't proven although we know that he shouldn't be too far behind touch wood. Sowah is unproven and carries the most uncertainty for a squad that BR has said he needs I.e  experience and with I think he'll get another mature signing in the middle of the park if Praet goes which begs the question whether Sowah gets in the first 25, development squad or leaves.

As for other signings I still think we need a left winger and Albrighton is getting on a bit now as a backup. I still have reservations about Thomas especially going into that winger position as a wing back and I can see him being no2 behind Bertrand at RB. CB we need another and there are a host of links being made but I'd be surprised if we don't get one for a 3 at the back formation and now morgan has gone. Left footed RW would be my marquee signing. Striker as in Edouard. CDM if Mendy goes.

Agree with you, I'd add just how important it is to get a couple of wingers who have the ability to go past players. That is why Barnes has been so good.

Albrighton and Perez for their strengths don't have the ability to take players on and that leads to the opposition knowing that without an outside pass available they have to pass sideways or back. A winger with the ability to take someone on, leaves doubt and indecision for an opponent. We've only got Barnes to do that and it shows.

Someone like Barnes on the right, and I know how difficult it's going to be to find someone anywhere near as good, and a decent back up who could play either left or right would transform this team.

• Like 1

Rodgers quotes about bringing in experience points to a couple of older heads such as Bertrand and I think Tarks will definitely be on the radar.

from all the noise it appears Soumare and Eduard could well be done deals, so that probably just leaves an attacking right sided midfield (RW although not sure we would play that often with two out and out wingers).

we will inevitably be linked with anyone and everyone, especially young potential as that is our usual modus operandi, but other than the above, anyone else would be straight replacements for any leavers. I am sure the powers that be know exactly who they may be, unlike us who merely speculate around media noises re Youri etc.

still think there may be a marquee signing from left field though.

it is certainly going to be an interesting summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

Sowah is most definitely more of a winger than he is an attacking midfielder

Watched him plenty of times for Leuven this season

9B7D0464-2836-441E-BD24-05317DE726BF.jpeg

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

So you want Soumare, Edouard, Bertrand, an experienced midfielder, left winger, replace Albrighton, a centre-back, a right winger, and a holding midfield player?

You aren't a billionaire by any chance, are you?

• Like 1

Positions we need, and who is likely to fill the gap. 

Rotational Striker - Edouard

Right wing starter - ???

Left Wing backup - Sowah

Backup experienced CB - Tarkowski?

Backup CB - Kabak?

LB Starter - Bertrand?

Midfield gets messy as it depends who stays and who goes.

Currently we have:

CAM - Maddison, Perez

CM - Tielemans, Praet

CDM - Ndidi, Mendy, Choudhury

I know a lot aren't happy with the CAM options but I don't see us bringing anyone else in for that role, it's not a priority.

Praet and Choudhury I fully expect to go. While I don't believe we need a replacement for Choudhury, Praet as a Backup/Alternative option for Tielemans never really worked, so to replace Praet:

Rotational CM - Soumare

Assuming Choudhury does leave, we have space for another Midfielder that can provide us options in either CM or CAM.

Backup CM - KDH

So I'd like to see 6 come in, not counting our guys on loan. 

Interestingly, none of these mentioned are big money signings, with the most expensive likely to be Tarkowski.

I'm confident that with the new sponsor deal, the cup win, Europe for the second year, as well as other things that the purse strings are being heavily loosened this year, and it makes me wonder what the budget is for a quality Right Winger.

5 hours ago, UHDrive said:

Sowah is a versatile player, but I think he's probably most likely to get into the team as a winger/inside forward. Whatever you want to call it, either position wide of the no.10.

I certainly don't see Sowah competing with either of Soumare or KDH for a place in the team. They're both box-to-box CMs. I think we're most likely to see either of them operating as one of the 2 in front of the defence in a 4-2-3-1 - doing Youri's role, whereas Sowah would almost certainly be one of the 3 behind the striker.

I can't see Sowah being put into the development squad. I reckon he'll almost certainly be part of the 1st team squad. If not, I think he'll be loaned out again. I don't think that's very likely, though, as we're pretty threadbare when it comes to wingers.

I agree re: Soumare, Edouard and Bertrand. I think they look likely signings, with it seeming Soumare and possibly Bertrand pretty much all but done already. If we get those sealed, then I think we just need a RW and a CB, really.

This is something like how I'd like the 25-man squad to look:

GK: Kasper, Ward, Jaku/new 3rd choice GK if he leaves

CB: Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana, Tarkowski/alternative

Fullback: Ricardo, Castagne, JJ, Thomas, Bertrand

CM, Tielemans, Ndidi, Soumare, KDH, Mendy

AM, Maddison, Barnes, Perez, Albrighton, Sowah, New 1st choice RW

ST: Vardy, Edouard, Nacho

This is 26 players, I know, but JJ might as well not be registered for the first half of the season. We can decide in January what to about the extra player then.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Sowah is a versatile player, but I think he's probably most likely to get into the team as a winger/inside forward. Whatever you want to call it, either position wide of the no.10.

I certainly don't see Sowah competing with either of Soumare or KDH for a place in the team. They're both box-to-box CMs. I think we're most likely to see either of them operating as one of the 2 in front of the defence in a 4-2-3-1 - doing Youri's role, whereas Sowah would almost certainly be one of the 3 behind the striker.

I can't see Sowah being put into the development squad. I reckon he'll almost certainly be part of the 1st team squad. If not, I think he'll be loaned out again. I don't think that's very likely, though, as we're pretty threadbare when it comes to wingers.

I agree re: Soumare, Edouard and Bertrand. I think they look likely signings, with it seeming Soumare and possibly Bertrand pretty much all but done already. If we get those sealed, then I think we just need a RW and a CB, really.

This is 26 players, I know, but JJ might as well not be registered for the first half of the season. We can decide in January what to about the extra player then.

Don’t need to register Thomas, do we?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

This is it for me. Looks like 3 of the options are already pretty nailed on, and KDH and Sowah back from loan helps with squad depth. 

Will be interesting to see who we go for as 4th choice CB and especially 1st choice RW which is the weakest area in our first choice team when everyone’s fit. Not sure who it will be Tsygankov, Pereira, Trincao etc... has been fairly quiet on that front so far but hope it’s a marquee signing that will have a similar impact to Barnes on the left and then I feel we’d be in a really strong position with that side.

So 5 in - Bertrand, Tarkowski (15m), Soumaré (20m), Édouard (15m), RW (30m) (+Sowah & KDH) 

7 Out - Morgan, Fuchs, James, Ghezzal (7m), Amartey (3m), Hamza (10m), Praet (15m). 

= ~45m net spend. 

I would say that if we aren’t looking at that high a net spend, I would be happy with someone like Cahill on a free as 4th choice CB, if it meant we can afford the necessary to splash on a top quality RW. Which would mean about 30m net spend which I think is realistic. Leaves us in a stronger position with a more rounded squad. 

• Like 3

On 24/05/2021 at 10:24, LestaFox92 said:

Soawh's pretty decent on FM

There are few mentions of Josh Knight. He has played well for Wycombe - their Player of the Season - in what has been a difficult year for that club's defenders. Why spend a fortune in the transfer market without giving him a try at the top level?

2 hours ago, Post Horn Galloper said:

There are few mentions of Josh Knight. He has played well for Wycombe - their Player of the Season - in what has been a difficult year for that club's defenders. Why spend a fortune in the transfer market without giving him a try at the top level?

He has to be as good, if not better, than Amartey in that utility role, either as a 4th choice centre back or third choice holding midfielder. It's whether he wants to be a bit part player at Leicester or a full time player elsewhere.

Can’t remember if I have posted in here yet but I think we need:

GK (jakupovic probs going/iverson on loan again)

CB 

LB

CM

Winger

CF

Plus additions of KDH and Sowah to the squd

Edited by Lesta2014
  • Like 1

I keep seeing GK listed. Do we really need to have 3 keepers in the squad for 2 of them to sit around doing nothing all year? 

If Jakupovic leaves, surely its fine to have just Kasper and Ward while having a recall clause in Iverson's loan?

Striker 

Soumare 

Rw like trincao, possibly Pereira 

Would love a cam/lm like harit if we could get rid of Pérez, not happening though 

Cb

Bertrand. 

Kdh also coming back into the fold with sowah btw 

1 minute ago, Gazza M said:

In

Tarkowski - 35m

Bertrand - Free

Pereira - 20m

Soumare - 20m 

James- 20m 

Edouard - 15m

110m 

Out

Ghezall - 7m

Amartey-5m

Jakupovic-Free

Choudhury- 8m

Perez - 20m 

40m

Net spend 70m. 

Can't see Tarkowski fetching anywhere near £35m in the current financial climate and him only having 1 year left on his contract. Would be surprised if it were above £15m. Personally, hope we go for Trincao, loan with option to buy next year, rather than James.

Don't think Perez will leave (but hope he does), however, Praet (£15m) may force a move due to lack of game time.

Outlay £70m (of which £20m was put aside for Under which is no longer happening)

Income £35m

Net outlay £35m which in essence is £15m additional spend as £20m put aside for Under.