Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

Giving up Alcohol

5 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

One more thing to add before I started drinking I always felt good mentally but since drinking daily it has def had an effect 

Had an effect on me too, and possibly still does even when I'm not drinking. 

Other good reasons to encourage people to cut down:

- Skin feels so much better. Used to get quite itchy skin especially at winter but it's improved significantly since cutting down, though still not perfect.

- Let's be honest it's great for the sex life :amartey:

48 minutes ago, Manini said:

People say your hangovers get worse the older you get and I don’t necessarily agree with that but you certainly feel every drop more the older you get. If I have 2/3 pints after work on a Thursday I’ll certainly feel it on the Friday morning nowadays. Just a very strong reminder I’m not 21 anymore unfortunately! 

Opposite for me, do not get hungover now. Age/experience means I avoid mixing drinks too much, regularly drink water and mostly try and get some food into me. That and there's always something to do everyday, can't roll around in bed until 10am on any day anymore.

• Like 1

It was 7 years last month since I've drank alcohol.

I always feel a bit preachy when listing the numerous benefits to stopping drinking, but there are so many to me.

There is life after booze and in my experience, it's so much better.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Opposite for me, do not get hungover now. Age/experience means I avoid mixing drinks too much, regularly drink water and mostly try and get some food into me. That and there's always something to do everyday, can't roll around in bed until 10am on any day anymore.

I am in a similar boat to you in that respect in that I take steps to try and prevent me from being hungover, but per unit of alcohol I'm sure the hangovers are worse when I don't take those steps. I think that is the point being made.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

What is the reaction like when you drink water?   I do that occasionally but normally on the sly even if I think the reactions from my friends bar one or two would not be too bad.

I've been temped many times to try 0% beer but I know what will happen.

I'll get the taste back and end up trying a normal beer again. Then I'll be hooked/dependent and back to square one.

It has to be a cup of tea or a coke for me these days.  

• Like 1

Went out last night for a mates leaving do and got the little one all day today as missus is working. I really want to cut it out but stress and a certain level of dependency makes it incredibly difficult to stop. just cutting down would be a great start, I haven’t drank at home in 2 weeks and defo feeling the benefits. work is a nightmare at the minute and pretty toxic and I get home from work and my stepdaughter is a living nightmare and her attitude towards me is just awful, sometimes the only bit of time to myself I get in a day is popping for one or two after work to unwind. bit crap really.

8 hours ago, The Blur said:

What is the reaction like when you drink water?   I do that occasionally but normally on the sly even if I think the reactions from my friends bar one or two would not be too bad.

4 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Change your mates 

Yeah, I find most people think it's a good idea. If they don't then to be frank, fvck them, why does it matter?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Went out last night for a mates leaving do and got the little one all day today as missus is working. I really want to cut it out but stress and a certain level of dependency makes it incredibly difficult to stop. just cutting down would be a great start, I haven’t drank at home in 2 weeks and defo feeling the benefits. work is a nightmare at the minute and pretty toxic and I get home from work and my stepdaughter is a living nightmare and her attitude towards me is just awful, sometimes the only bit of time to myself I get in a day is popping for one or two after work to unwind. bit crap really.

Can't speak on behalf of anyone but myself and the few months I've been off it but I wouldn't set yourself any major goals straight off the bat mate. Break it down into smaller, more manageable chunks (have a softie or NA every other drink when you're in a pub perhaps) and most importantly don't beat yourself up if you do have a pint after a shocker of a day! Sounds like you've made the effort and a start in not drinking from home, regardless :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I tried cutting down but it never seemed to work, I then had a bit of a health scare so gave up to totally while they investigated.  Thankfully it turned out to be nothing but by that stage I had been alcohol free for two months so just kept going even through Christmas.  I didn’t have a plan to give up completely and thought I would probably go back to drinking in moderation but apart from the very occasional glass of wine on special occasions I have stayed off it for over 4 years now.

• Like 3

I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis around five years ago. I was severely ill and end ups in hospital for over a week. Apparently this was rare for someone in their mid 30s. 

I had to completely change my diet and slowly add things in, trying to find what caused the severe left sided stomach cramps etc

It turns out that alcohol was one of my main triggers, so I’ve been T Total ever since. 

I still get people trying to ask me to have one. But like @Izzy alluded to earlier in the topic, they sort of know now.

• Like 1

When I was working I hardly drank as I had to be switched on for every shift.

Then I retired and I felt as if the shackles could come off. Then I started to drink regularly, almost daily. I fortunately realised it was a problem after my wife challenged me after finding a bottle of gin I'd hidden as an emergency supply.

That was the point when I had to be honest with myself. I drink in moderation now. 

Fortunately I got a grip of alcohol before it got a grip of me. In a way, seeing those unfortunate people who lose control and live life in the desperation of addiction and the results thereof, has given me the foresight to know I don't want that for me or my family and friends because ultimately the ripples extend right across the pool of your life.

• Like 3

The thought of giving up alcohol is, for me, unthinkable. 

I crave it in the evenings. Every single day. Without fail.  If arriving late at a destination late at night, I've usually googled ahead to find out where I can grab a drink, so as to avoid panicking. Or ring ahead at a hotel to make sure the bar is still open.

Yet, once I have had 2 or 3 drinks, the craving is fulfilled. I'm out. Which I guess deletes that need to jack it in as it's done in moderation 

• Like 3

Sometimes 2 or 3 pints do it for me but other times I can go a bit mad. I’ve realised how much I’ve eaten and how quickly I drink are the big factors for me. I only ever drink lager other than the odd Guinness in pubs. I can drink 8 pints of an evening on a full stomach over 6+ hours and just be merry other times I can drink 6 pints in 2 hours without dinner and be eye rolling bolloxed. I’m definitely getting better I just bloody love beer but I know cutting it right down and eventually out is what I want to do for a myriad of reasons. Mental health, physical health, some months I must spend 300+ on beer so financially it’d be a huge help as well. Think my plan is have a massive blowout over Christmas and then really think about it in the new year. To add I’ve not said or thought that before as far as I can remember, so not one of these ah next year defo or next month defo and won’t beat myself up if I carry on but I think the fact I’m seriously considering it for the first time on my life speaks volumes on its own.

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

The thought of giving up alcohol is, for me, unthinkable. 

I crave it in the evenings. Every single day. Without fail.  If arriving late at a destination late at night, I've usually googled ahead to find out where I can grab a drink, so as to avoid panicking. Or ring ahead at a hotel to make sure the bar is still open.

Yet, once I have had 2 or 3 drinks, the craving is fulfilled. I'm out. Which I guess deletes that need to jack it in as it's done in moderation 

I'm sort of the same.

I don't go to that level to see if I can get a beer.

It's more at home for me.

I buy what's on offer at Sainsbury's every Friday. Usually 18 or 15 cans of Stella, Heineken, Kronenberg or Bud.

Or 2 cases for 22 quid.

I'll binge over the weekend, but have a few left in the fridge for the rest of the week.

If I have no beer in the fridge, I get tetchy.

If I have 6 cans left, I probably won't even drink one, but I feel good because I know if I want one, it's there.

That's weird isn't it?

But I can have 6 bottles of wine and no beer, but still feel tetchy. So it's not an alcoholic thing.

I'll drink most nights, literally anywhere from 1 beer to 12, which sounds excessive, but I don't think it is.

If I don't have beer, I'll go to the shop and buy some, but I won't buy 4, because it ain't enough.

I'll buy at least 8, then go home and probably only have 1 or 2.

I'm actually pretty sensible drinking, because I often leave home at 5am, driving. 

Just feel like I have a blowout on Fridays and Saturdays. But not being ridiculous. 

It's not like I'm having Jager bombs with it!

Anyway, I've worked my arse off to give up smoking. So I'm still allowed some enjoyment in life!