Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

15 hours ago, The Doctor said:

You don't buy someone you have to change formation for, you want to change formation generally and buy players that would fit into that. We started to do a 3atb of Fofana Soyuncu and Evans last season don't forget - the issue is that Vestegaard if he's playing in that system has to be the central centre back, he's too slow to do anything else, and honestly he's not looked competent at the style of defending even in that formation, he's just not good enough

I agree with this and I guess like any any City fan it is difficult to understand why he was signed. However, when he has to has to play I think BR will have to adopt formation to fit in with strengths - and that is not with a high pressing back three. There seems little point in him playing unless he can perform to a reasonable standard, and that only seems to be the case with a flat back four where his lack of pace will not usually be punished. It's obviously a far from ideal situation but given the current position, in terms of fit CB's, there is no pint in playing anyone with a system where it is very likely they will struggle.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oxford blue said:

...   like any any City fan it is difficult to understand why he was signed. ..

Kasper ...   :ph34r:

Danish, knows him well through playing together, but mostly nice and tall so will help mask the fact that Kasper can't come out and catch the ball ...   word in Brendans ear "He's brilliant etc etc blah blah blah" ..  jobby done ! ...   :thumbup:

The fact he is sh1t is neither here nor there  ....    lol

23 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Called crazy but....

All of our centre backs have looked woeful at times this year. Soyuncu has looked like he's barely played football before and Evans has too (which I put down to his injury).

I've put this down to individual form but I'm starting to wonder if the system we play is genuinely hard for centre backs. Defenders consistently for the last 18 months have picked up hamstring injuries - Ricardo, castagne, Evans, soyuncu and fofana have all done them at least twice, and we have more injuries in that part of the field than any other. The only one who's looked good is amartey and that's not really been consistent and he's on a low bar.

Therefore I'm honestly of the opinion  that this high line system is more of an issue than any single player. If a player feels uncomfortable and they're forced into doing lots more recovery runs than they're used it's likely to lead to basic mistakes.

I can't see us changing anything but I struggle to see it's anything other than that- he's played for a Denmark side that didn't concede a goal in 9 qualifying games but for us he looks like a guy who's never played before.

That said, the logic of signing this guy is crazy if we wanted to play a high line. He can't play in it.

The high line means our CB's are doing a lot more high intensity sprints I'd assume, along with a lot of turning and running. Could be that and would suggest if we dropped our defensive like back by 5yards we could save some injuries. We're also higher up, so midfielders and forwards pressing them with fewer areas to pass into. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

Then we paid £19m for him. Absolute fraud.

.....the question you should be asking is, whose fault is that, and who convinced Rudkin it was an appropriate acquisition at the time!!!

I am not sure about that price you are quoting unless you are including his salary. So far as Vestergaard is concerned it has been a good deal for him, and any termination of his contract or side lining will result in a health bank balance.

53 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

The high line means our CB's are doing a lot more high intensity sprints I'd assume, along with a lot of turning and running. Could be that and would suggest if we dropped our defensive like back by 5yards we could save some injuries. We're also higher up, so midfielders and forwards pressing them with fewer areas to pass into. 

....probably not if Kasper is uncertain of coming out to cover!!!

Dropping deeper allows more space in the middle and reduces the pressure we are attempting to exert on our opponents. In some cases, and with Vestergaard's limitations, sitting deep and counter attacking is a reasonable method to employ, against some teams who like to play on the front foot.

On 20/01/2022 at 09:37, Finnegan said:

End of the day, international tournament football is a lot slower than the Premier League too. 

Finland, Russia, Wales, Ukraine and the Czech Republic aren't exactly bustling with electric, world class forwards either. 

Plus, let's be fair, the entire Danish squad was galvanised to fever pitch. Don't think I've ever seen twenty plus guys all look that motivated to do anything, ever. Was impressive. A fair few of them were lifted well above their own personal par. 

They didn't play Ukraine but played Belgium. Lukaku did give Vestergaard a runaround.

However, Vestergaard generally linked up well with Mæhle and Damsgaard, but I would say he was easily the weakest of the back three. Joachim Andersen or Zanka would have been just as good or maybe even better. Incidentally, both were available in the summer as well.

2 hours ago, oxford blue said:

I agree with this and I guess like any any City fan it is difficult to understand why he was signed. However, when he has to has to play I think BR will have to adopt formation to fit in with strengths - and that is not with a high pressing back three. There seems little point in him playing unless he can perform to a reasonable standard, and that only seems to be the case with a flat back four where his lack of pace will not usually be punished. It's obviously a far from ideal situation but given the current position, in terms of fit CB's, there is no pint in playing anyone with a system where it is very likely they will struggle.

Precisely what I mean when I say he's not cut out for that style of defending. I can see where the analysts will have highlighted him, tall stature in a fairly short side and decent passing statistics where Rodgers values ball playing defenders. Big weakness is the complete absence of pace - sitting relatively deep in the centre of a back three where he doesn't have to cover wide defensive areas on counter attacks with the wing backs forward, but able to step forward and pick out a pass on occasion he'd probably be fine. Nothing special, almost certainly not a regular if you wanted to challenge for CL, but an ok midtable defender. Asking him to press, particularly in a wide role and particularly given Soyuncus tendency to go roaming, is just begging to expose all of his weaknesses and makes him look far off any sort of PL standard. 

• Like 1

He has absolutely no pace, and despite being a giant doesn’t dominate aerially. Nice long passer of the ball (but under-hits short passes for some reason) I guess he’s a decent last ditch lunger. He’s a trier but his flaws massively outweigh his assets in whatever formation we play. Bring Brunty in and get Vesty a loan to a slower league for his own sake. 

15 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....probably not if Kasper is uncertain of coming out to cover!!!

Dropping deeper allows more space in the middle and reduces the pressure we are attempting to exert on our opponents. In some cases, and with Vestergaard's limitations, sitting deep and counter attacking is a reasonable method to employ, against some teams who like to play on the front foot.

We have beaten Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool by this method in the last seven months. We won the premiership with this method. Atletico have used it for years.It works more often than not.

21 hours ago, jonny_wright said:

It doesn't help what we don't sit deep and play to his strengths, we play a high line and try to play possession football, i think Vestergaard would have been much better for us in the 2016 season – but then why sign him? pretty baffling! square peg for a round hole, probably the worse defensive signing we've made, was Benkovic actually worse? if so he must be league 2 level

He's one of the weakest centre backs I've seen, let's be real Rodgers bought him for his passing ability. Stupidity decision ever. Steve wonder saw this coming from a mile away 

• Like 1

Just now, An Sionnach said:

We have beaten Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool by this method in the last seven months. We won the premiership with this method. Atletico have used it for years.It works more often than not.

...dropping 5 yards deeper is not a good move as it is neither deep enough for the through ball or the ball played over the top!!!

With Kasper uncertain of coming to sweep up behind the defence it leaves an uncertainty,  that we do not need right now.

I am very much an advocate of sitting deep and playing on the counter,  I have said previously it is in our DNA to play that way.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...dropping 5 yards deeper is not a good move as it is neither deep enough for the through ball or the ball played over the top!!!

With Kasper uncertain of coming to sweep up behind the defence it leaves an uncertainty,  that we do not need right now.

I am very much an advocate of sitting deep and playing on the counter,  I have said previously it is in our DNA to play that way.

When you have fast forwards like Barnes, Daka , Lookman and still Vardy it seems the obvious way to play. In Arsenal's great period the defense tied up any attack deep in their own half and Henry, Pires and ljundberg etc.broke to often devastating effect. When later Wenger tried to turn them into a pound shop Barcelona , it all fell away.

1 hour ago, Foxes1 said:

Which 'form' has he found? Was it his planning application to build an extra tall conservatory on his house?

I honestly don't think he's improved, he's getting worse. Doesn't help that oppo teams naturally target him every time he plays either. 

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

As football cliches go - that has to be amongst the more annoying 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

As football cliches go - that has to be amongst the more annoying 

...the funny thing is that it is...!!!

You could use more words to convey the meaning and wax lyrically about how we are better in transitioning to a style that suits our players  and was the main feature in perhaps our greatest year.

The statement cuts through and says what it means...it maybe clichéd, but everyone understands what it means. 

Rob Tanner wrote an article about that 80 seconds of calamity but Vestergaard was at fault twice. The worst was when he was caught in no man's land for the winner, too slow to turn and caught out as Spurs players rushes past him. Of course he also missed the header too. 

He's so weak, he's so slow and he's not astute enough positionally to make up for his weaknesses.  How our recruitment team signed off on this transfer I'll never know. He's diabolical 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1