Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

On 13/08/2021 at 17:52, Koke said:

Not to be a Debbie downer but Vestergaard is slow, gets easily turned and has been part of two 9-0s, goes to sleep and loses concentration in crucial moments. I know he's only a back up so I'm OK with this but don't expect a lot from him. 

Fair play! I'm 4 pages deep and you're the only person that doesn't believe in fairies and magic so far :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tanya said:

Perez is ten times the footballer thus guy is. Sure he has weaknesses but you can also see his strengths and he does some limited things very well. But Vestergaard does almost nothing well. Occasionally gets a good block in. Occasional pass.

I do think he is trying and is desperate to do well. He's just not good enough and is being humiliated every game we play. 

...I  have said before, that Rodgers sets players up to fail!!!

I do not know if it is a conscious thing or a case of Rodgers himself being tactically limited within the game.

Playing a back three for Rodgers means the Wingbacks are pushed forward automatically, with a very slow LCB why would you hang him out to dry by having his support all the way up the pitch. 

I'm all for giving new players a chance be they young or old and experienced. The Vestman baffles me silly. Now I don't have the time to go thru his highlights real for southampton and Denmark to really see if he was this bad before we got him. If he was a better player before than something has not quite worked out for him psychologically here. The guy doesnt even fit into our team in any shape or form. He's become the dictionary definition of a walking odd ball. His two strengths which are height and build he doesnt even use them well. His positioning is so off the mark that he misses headers completely. He should be much stronger on the ball yet gets beaten by a lesser player. If only we could inject him with a few of the brain cells from Evans and Fofana he might just be slightly better than average. Now I do accept he was a panic buy to come in as basic cover but he has become a liability on the field which only benefits our opponents. Bertrand I'm not happy about either but something happened to him after covid so I'm giving him some slack but his performance has been criminal too. The more I watch Vestman the more he looks like a trojan horse sent to cripple us. Makes me sick that we paid money for him that we really could have used right now on a more dependable player. For me I've seen enough. we have to offload him asap get whatever we can and learn from it. (ps...I'm not hinging all of last nites catastrophe on the big dane - we have Youre to share a big portion of that)! 

7 hours ago, oadby.fox said:

I agree that the recruitment was poor but it’s just all the more mystifying if Brendan played any kind of role in the recruitment. It’s otherwise a massive howler from our own scouting team and whilst we have signed some stinkers, you could at least often see some kind of rationale which explained why they might have been deemed a prospect. 

We will have to agree to disagree on whether Rodgers has a choice. Yes, we are down to barebones but he doesn’t have to play five at the back when we have a defensive injury crisis. You could put an extra body in midfield in place of Veste or you could go more gung-ho and replace him with a youngster. Maybe I’m missing something, but I can’t honestly imagine what he sees in him in training + match day performances (which matter more). I know we can be guilty of making some players into scapegoats but he’s not once shown yet that he’s of the level required and he’s prone to making game changing errors on a regular basis. I honestly don’t see the point in continuing to start him. Any experience he has over a youngster clearly didn’t help him/the others to see the last 5 seconds out. 

Good post mate and I was getting confused. I was assuming Rodgers was playing 5 at the back, in which case he’d have had no choice but playing Vestie

Called crazy but....

All of our centre backs have looked woeful at times this year. Soyuncu has looked like he's barely played football before and Evans has too (which I put down to his injury).

I've put this down to individual form but I'm starting to wonder if the system we play is genuinely hard for centre backs. Defenders consistently for the last 18 months have picked up hamstring injuries - Ricardo, castagne, Evans, soyuncu and fofana have all done them at least twice, and we have more injuries in that part of the field than any other. The only one who's looked good is amartey and that's not really been consistent and he's on a low bar.

Therefore I'm honestly of the opinion  that this high line system is more of an issue than any single player. If a player feels uncomfortable and they're forced into doing lots more recovery runs than they're used it's likely to lead to basic mistakes.

I can't see us changing anything but I struggle to see it's anything other than that- he's played for a Denmark side that didn't concede a goal in 9 qualifying games but for us he looks like a guy who's never played before.

That said, the logic of signing this guy is crazy if we wanted to play a high line. He can't play in it.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot
  • Like 1

In my 61 years I would say he his one of the worst central defenders I have seen in a City shirt (and we have had some dross over the years!😂).

He is slow, he is physically weak, his passing is poor and he can’t read the game.

When I saw Justin ready to come on, I thought:

”great, Vestegard off, Justin RB, Thomas LB and Calgary/ Hamza in the middle”.

this would’ve given more support to the midfield and two Central defenders would give  tighter wall against Kane.

I like a lot about Rodger’s, but I do not like it when he tries 3 at the back .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Therefore I'm honestly of the opinion  that this high line system is more of an issue than any single player. If a player feels uncomfortable and they're forced into doing lots more recovery runs than they're used it's likely to lead to basic mistakes.

Vesty should never stray more than thirty yards from his own goal line nor should Jonny or Dan, they are not designed for such adventure. The sooner Rodgers stops being fixated with 2010 Barcelona or bloody Man City. the better it will be for us. We sat back against Liverpool and deserved to win. High line can f**k off for me. A ball carrying midfielder like prime Drinkwater means we don't need to play it. Soumaré was supposed to be that guy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Old git said:

In my 61 years I would say he his one of the worst central defenders I have seen in a City shirt (and we have had some dross over the years!😂).

He is slow, he is physically weak, his passing is poor and he can’t read the game.

When I saw Justin ready to come on, I thought:

”great, Vestegard off, Justin RB, Thomas LB and Calgary/ Hamza in the middle”.

this would’ve given more support to the midfield and two Central defenders would give  tighter wall against Kane.

I like a lot about Rodger’s, but I do not like it when he tries 3 at the back .

Especially when it’s Soyuncu and Vestergaard together. It’s absolutely suicidal playing them together but unfortunately I don’t think Brendan had any other option but to start them both.

Also, welcome  :wave:

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Wouldn't mind him being slow if he won every header 

Exactly. Maguire gets grief but he's a beast in the air and on the ball he's excellent. Vestergaard is appalling in the air and I'm yet to see much ability at playing out from the back for us. I know that is something he can do as has done it elsewhere where as he's never going to be quick. His heading has floored me though, I never knew he was that weak and poor.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Exactly. Maguire gets grief but he's a beast in the air and on the ball he's excellent. Vestergaard is appalling in the air and I'm yet to see much ability at playing out from the back for us. I know that is something he can do as has done it elsewhere where as he's never going to be quick. His heading has floored me though, I never knew he was that weak and poor.

This is it for me. Obviously he rightly gets stick on here for being slow but there are many examples of slow CBs: Maguire, Dunk, Silva, Tarkowski etc. However, the difference between the above and Vestegaard is that they have much better positional awareness.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc

He’s horrendous. Simply not fast enough to play at this level and that’s not his fault. But what really gets me is his lack of effort.

The amount of times he’s caught out of position or turned and then just ambles back like he hasn’t a care in the world whilst his team mates are scrambling because of the mess he’s left them in is infuriating.

The third goal yesterday, he’s marking Kane but just steps back away from him, allows him to turn and pick a killer pass at will. If he’s right up Kane’s back not letting him turn and forcing him to play without all the time in the world then the third goal potentially doesn’t happen.

I think Rodgers knows this though. He’s said something about him “playing more than I would have ideally liked” and then called him out in his post-match interview whereas he protected Tielemans a little by just saying ‘an experienced player’.

• Like 1