Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

2 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Wouldn't put Slimani in the same bracket. We were just overcharged for what he was. Similar to Perez, will never justify the transfer fee but both had their moments 

Agree - Slimani never worked out here, but he had some obvious qualities, scored a few important goals and offered something to the team. 

Vestergaard offers next to nothing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TK95 said:

Wouldn't put Slimani in the same bracket. We were just overcharged for what he was. Similar to Perez, will never justify the transfer fee but both had their moments 

We're talking about worst signing in terms of ability, but value for money. We smashed our transfer record for him and sold him for peanuts. Had Slimani cost us £15 million it would have been seen as an OK signing. 

1 hour ago, fazzyfox said:

If he is ever selected again, heaven help us, the full back on his side will just have to stay at home, not venture into the opposition half at all and be ready to tuck inside and cover. It will slit our throat as an attacking threat on that side of the pitch but we'll have to do it. When you're paying 70,000 a week for a regular full international you shouldn't have to but....we have to :dunno:

...that scenario would make a lot more sense, than the way Rodgers is attempting to use him at the moment!!!

With Barnes's inability to defend, and the left back staying at home, it might just serves to give us some kind of balance and protection for our defence and serves a purpose in attack.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

In terms of value for money, where does he rank among our worst ever signings? 

When discussing "value for money", would have to calculate what he will cost us not only in terms of signing fees (and wages), but also the money that we are potentially losing as we steadily slide DOWN the league log and/or get knocked out of cups or Europe, largely because of his shitty play.

He ranks well up there in our Worst-Ever Signings Hall of Infamy!   :cry:

Edited by NaijaFox

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

Hamza, a player who can't get a game in his natural position and who we've been trying to sell for the last few windows, was head and shoulders above him again last night. I reckon he even won more headers.

For me, this has been the worst bit.

Choudhury shouldn't be anywhere near a Championship team's central defence let alone a Premiership one's but he's still looked better than Vestergaard thrown in at short notice.

• Like 1

He can't be this bad can he? 

He's had 3 seasons as an established Premier league campaigner and 30 plus caps for Denmark including a run to the euros semi final. 

There must be something going on behind the scenes, a niggling injury, long covid, mental health issues?

I fail to believe he's actually this bad. 

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

His wages are too much of an issue when it comes to moving him on. I'm sure there would be mid-table/bottom-half Bundesliga clubs that would take him but he would have to take a substantial wage cut. 

Islam Slimani mk 2, years of trying to bat him around getting loan spells to cover as much of his wages as possible. Ugh.

14 minutes ago, Stephen Hughes said:

I didn’t watch much of him at Saints. But generally people perceived him as a steady defender. How? What has happened? I think he needs to ditch the concrete boots. Made Kane look rapid at times!!

Had a only few months of "steady" performances at Southampton, bolstered by a "steady" showing at Euros. We wuz snookered!

Edited by NaijaFox

7 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He is no John Terry for sure , but if we had won 2-1 ,which we should have done, would he have got this sort of kicking. Amartey and Ndidi will put him back on the bench very shortly.

Yes

7 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...pretty harsh to look to denigrate a player in this way!!!

Constructive criticism is all very well but seeking to demean a player in like this, should not be something that we keep bringing to the table.

It's a fair question....

He's been poor, OPs curiosity is how poor relatively-speaking.

Discussing players is sorta the point of a fan DISCUSSION forum

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Watch how he steps up for absolutely no reason and then drops off for the 3rd goal, leaving the space for Kane to turn and pass and for Bergwign to run into.

Hopefully someone decked him for it in the changing room after the game. ****ing outrageous. You don't see mistakes like that at Sunday League level let alone the Premier League in front of 30,000 people paying your wage.

A big part of being a central defender is knowing when to go with your man and when to let them drop and Vestergaard is by the far the worst I've ever seen at that.

13 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He is no John Terry for sure , but if we had won 2-1 ,which we should have done, would he have got this sort of kicking. Amartey and Ndidi will put him back on the bench very shortly.

'Which we should have done' - if he had won the last minute header against a much smaller opponent...:ill:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

It's a fair question....

He's been poor, OPs curiosity is how poor relatively-speaking.

Discussing players is sorta the point of a fan DISCUSSION forum

...we keep harping back to let's see how bad x is in comparison to y!!!

There are numerous post on this particular topic which deals with the discussion without resorting to this.

As you say it is an open forum and most things are open to discussion, I just wish we didn't go there as a "cheap shot", we do not need to go there.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

1 minute ago, roblcfc84 said:

Watching him desperately try and catch Kane was painful. I know he’s not there for his pace, but even still…

Kane is a world class player and was easily the best player on the pitch last night. Soyuncu should have man marked him all night. It ain't pretty but you have to do it sometimes with players of his ability.

High line + LCB in a back 3 was just a ridiculous decision I dont know why he wasnt in the middle of the 3. Once Thomas was high up the pitch we basically had the slowest footballer to exist in charge of the left side - if Son was playing it would have been a massacre on the counter attacks. 

He just doesnt fit our team at all. He can pass (although yesterday he gave the ball away and they scored) but that's about it. I just forsee loans to Turkish clubs until his contract expires.

Weird thing is, I can vividly remember him being unbeatable in the home match against S'ton in the season of the 0-9. The one where they beat us as they were obviously stoked up for some kind of revenge. I can remember thinking that he'd do a decent job for us :rolleyes:

Also, he seems to do OK for Denmark and was actually pretty steady in the euro semi final.