Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

I wouldn't write off Caglar and Ricci based on this rather disjointed season. We have all seen them play to a very high standard. Jonny is not looking good but could be replaced with Tarkowski if we offer him the best contract. I have mentioned Elmas , he could certainly replace Tielemans if he can be persuaded that we are an ambitious club. That might involve 10 million more than what we could get for Youri . Otherwise achieving 40 million or so for fringe players would finance the right sort of wide midfielder. Amartey and Hamza have upped their value recently and Praet is playing better I believe so that might be possible.

Not a chance Soyuncu is staying here unless his form drops that much that he realises he can no longer attract the same calibre of club that he thought and has a change of heart.

Soyuncu has opted to stay on £45k a week for the last 2 years that we've tried to renegotiate his contract. He could have doubled his wages but he's opted not to. Likewise Ricardo could have seriously improved his terms but he opted not to and then got injured. Both are off and if they aren't I'm not sure that's a good thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The thing is we're all plotting and planning and at the end of next summer we'll have some Celtic mid replacing Tielemans and Rogers saying he's happy with the squad he's got and Albrighton still has a lot to give at right wing.

Realistically wouldn't want to sell Ricardo or Castange either but I'd be happy with Praet replacing Tielemans.

Oh, and as for those suggesting Ward-prowse, I can't take it, I just can't take another Southampton player here, whatever his strengths and weaknesses, please no more!!!

• Haha 1

For me, we need to focus on a starting cb, rw and youri replacement. Then to improve the squad, a backup winger (lookman), backup cb and backup full back.

To facilitate that, we would have to get rid of our 'premier league experience players' vestagaard, Bertrand and perez as well as get maximum value for all the players out of contract next year.

Tbh we are not going to do all of that, but I would also like us to get back to targeting the best championship players and young players from abroad(which we already good at). Players like Ramsey, brennan, de ketelaere, nat phillips, szalai etc

Fully fit squad next year could look like…

GK

Kasper

Ward

Stolarcyk

Full backs 

JJ

Castagne

Ricardo 

Thomas

CB

Fofana

Cags

Evans

Amartey

CM

Ndidi

Tielemans (I would rather him go for nothing than go a whole season light in midfield - could be the difference of relegation and not).

KDH

Soumare

Maddison 

Wingers

Lookman (activate clause)

Barnes

Albrighton

Strikers

Vardy

Daka

Iheanacho

Initial thoughts

Sales of Choudhury, Perez, Praet, Vestegaard, Bertrand will generate some funds to prioritise wingers and CB’s. Ideally two of each. We genuinely look pretty set everywhere else but my gosh do we need more options in the two positions mentioned.

The club needs a real clear out in a whole manor of places.

Playing staff wise I'd like the squad next year to look like this:

GK: Kasper, Ward

RB: New, Castagne

LB: Justin, Thomas

CB: Fofana, Evans, Amartey, 2 x New (Starter and young backup)

DM: Ndidi, Soumare

CM: New, KDH

AM: Maddison, New, Alves

RW: New, Albrighton

LW: Barnes, Lookman

CF: Vardy, Daka, Iheanacho

Tielemans, Ricardo, Soyuncu, Mendy, Choudhury, Perez, Praet, Bertrand & Vestegaard can all go - I imagine that raises around 100m.

Very easy to play Football Manager with that money, but I'd like to see us go for:

RB: Aarons from Norwich or Singo from Torino

CB: Kempf from Stuttgart (A free agent this summer), not sure about the youngster but there has to be plenty out there to be a backup option.

CM: Ricci from Empoli or Simons from PSG - We will miss Youri's passing through the lines far more than any other aspect of his play.

AM: De Ketalaere from Brugge 

RW: Madueke from PSV may be too pricy - I'd love Sarr from Watford if they went down.

Similar to what @Ric Flairsays, we need to get back to what we do well. Buy at around 10-20m and sell for around 50-60. We've become so mediocre in that regard lately and it's gone under the radar.

Congerton can piss off to Atalanta, anyone who sanctions that move for Vestegaard is an idiot, and if he didn't sanction it, then he's got no use anyway.

We need to re-establish our link with Leuven, too many players have had crap loan moves there, but if used correctly that club is a huge asset for us. Look at what it did for Sowah. Would allow us to buy players for around 5m top, and loan out for constant first team football, returning to us either ready to challenge for a squad place, or at least ready to sell for more than we paid.

We also need to prepare for Rodgers' departure. He won't be around for ever and we are becoming too reliant on his staff and his way of thinking. When he's gone, we need a coach that fits our philosophies rather than the other way around.

Edited by LVocey
  • Like 4

Big decisions ahead in the summer with lots of players out of contract in 2023.

Out: Tielemans, shame but clearly doesn’t want to be here so get what we can in the summer.

Soyuncu, 12 months left on contract in summer. Would benefit both parties if he left.

Ricardo, 12 months left on contract, unfortunately too injury prone, get what we can.

Perez, 12 months left, not good enough, get what we can.

Mendy, sell

Bertrand, season long loan in the the championship is the best we can hope for, then release

Vestergaard, probably a loan to the bundesliga is the best we can hope for

Praet, sell to Serie A

Hamza, would be tempted to offer new contract as decent squad player but not going to get the game time especially with no European football next season

Would bring in a CB to play alongside Fofana. Evans and Amartey as back up. A left footed left back to compete with Thomas. Obviously a central midfielder to replace Tielemans. Lookman on a permanent and a right winger 

• Like 2

Think the reality is our days of sticking players on over 100k a week are probably over barring a massive change in fortunes. Think it may be a blessing in disguise that the likes of Kasper, Vardy and Tielemans are likely in their final year or so at the club. Don’t underestimate how much difference a few less players on £120k a week makes if we replace them shrewdly. Once the injury crisis resolves we have capable players on significantly less money coming through like KDH and Thomas. This will give us some room to rebuild.

2 hours ago, FoxesWalk said:

1st Team RW: Madueke

Yeah I'd rather not bother with him. Seems to be trouble on and off the pitch. Hasn't gotten a good run of games this season and just recently got arrested because of a fake drivers license

Schmeichel

Ward / Jakupovic

Justin      New CB      Fofana     New LB   Castagne Evans         Amartey   Thomas

Vestergaard 

New CM      Ndidi

Soumare   Dewsbury-Hall

New RW            Maddison             Barnes

Albrighton         Iheanacho         Lookman

Daka

Vardy

Edited by escape2victory

First thing is to make room in the squad. Vestergaard, Bertrand and Perez the main ones for me that need to be gone, even if its just on loan. 

Need an organiser of a centre back, a on-pitch leader, If everyone is fit and available, I really don't think we need much. Still need a reliable right wing option.

• Like 1

Definitely a major overhaul needed at the back. Fofana needs a long term partner. Much as I like him, Cags on the evidence of this season isn’t the man for that, and with only a year left and no sign of that being extended currently, had to be a candidate to be moved on. Vestergaard was a strange signing full stop. Capable of being a good defender if you play to his strengths, yet we play to his weaknesses. Was never going to be the right fit. Evans, our ‘brain’ at the back, sadly can’t put a consistent run of games together. An experienced head to partner Fofana would be a key addition. Who I’m not too sure. A capable stand in who can compete for a starting berth would be great as well. Options wise I’m not sure who we go for. I can understand not wasting money in this window if there isn’t the right calibre of player available, and would rather keep the money in our pockets until the summer than end up with another Ryan Bennett. In terms of targets, I’m not too sure who is out there! Denayer could get a good option, although haven’t really seen anything of him at Lyon. Smalling appeals to me but I think it would cost to get him out of Roma. Nat Phillips potentially if he doesn’t go anywhere this window, and then the obvious links to Tarkowski. Ginter is an interesting one as well. 

I made peace with the fact Youri would be likely to be sold this summer the minute he only signed a four year deal. He’s been fantastic for us, and we will miss his passing abilities when he goes. The question is do we go for a like for like replacement, or strengthen weaker areas to create a new threat ie the elusive right winger! Ideally you replace and buy a winger, but will we have the budget for that? Zakaria on a free appeals hugely, but competition will be huge for him. Madueke was talked about a lot during the summer, but I’ve not heard much on him for quite a while now. 

Most importantly we need to settle on a system we want to play and stick with it. It’s impressive we can adapt our systems, but it’s starting to show we are Jack of all trades, master of none tactically. The most effective we’ve been under Rodgers was the 4-1-4-1 in his first full season. There’s been some promising signs in the 4-3-3 this year, but three at the back has to go. It doesn’t suit us how we play it. If we stick with 4-3-3, I’d go for a box to box midfielder to compete with KDH. Bissouma wound be great but expensive!! Until we decide on a definitive system, it’s difficult to pinpoint the recruitment. One thing is for certain, there are changes coming. I hope the recruitment team can keep pulling off some shrewd moves

I still feel we have a decent core/ group of players to work with. Especially the likes of Thomas, Justin, Barnes, KDH & Maddison linking up well who we should be building our team around along with Fofana & Daka. However due to contracts expiring and players looking to move elsewhere we have several gaps that will need filling. 

Based on the below leaving can see us having a c. £100m budget to play with, so would go with the below hopefully giving us a more balanced squad. Although looks like a lot on paper and probably way off the mark anyway.

Out:

Tielemans - £40m

Söyüncü - £20m

Ricardo - £15m 

Perez - £10m

Mendy - £3m

Praet - £12m

Total - c. £100m

In:

RB - Ramsay £5m

CB - Ginter £0

CB - Schlotterbeck £15m

CM - Loftus-Cheek £23m

RW - Tsygankov £17m

LW - Lookman £15m

RW/ CAM - Blas/ Faivre £15m

Total - c. £85m

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We aren't that good at getting free transfers across the line, I don't know if we baulk at the games and demands that representatives will do in these situations but other than Bertrand I don't recall any prior to the 2016/17 season. There's got to be a reason for it.

Fuchs, Albrighton, Cambiasso, Upson since being promoted all prior to 2016/17 off the top of my head and there's probably a couple of others. 

Just had a look Hamer and Schwarzer are the other notable ones.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

11 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Fuchs, Albrighton, Cambiasso, Upson since being promoted all prior to 2016/17 off the top of my head and there's probably a couple of others. 

Just had a look Hamer and Schwarzer are the other notable ones.

Yeah, the only others I think are Hernandez and Jakupovic. We've tried and failed though to get Thauvin and Otavio and a few others. Seems like we get put off by the demands which is fair enough but worth considering when plotting how easy it is for us to overhaul our squad on a budget.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

There's a lot of deadwood in this squad and a lot of contracts running out by the end of next season: 

Amartey 

Kasper

Vardy

Ricardo

Soyuncu

Perez

Mendy

Tielemans

Choudhury 

Evans 

Add to the list above that Praet, Vestergaard, Bertrand SHOULD also be moved onto, we have a huge rebuild ahead of us. 

I reckon Amartey will get a new deal but even so it's a scary amount of players thqt will need replacing and only 2 of those 10 players will actually produce decent fees. No real point in talking about Bertrand and Vestergaard leaving. They've hit the jackpot and like perez will keep picking up wages one way or the other until their contracts expire.

In my view a major overhaul would be a mistake because the ethos and balance of the squad is strong. It’s easy and tempting to make lots of changes but it’s also expensive and risky.

Currently we are a centre back away from being top 6, though if Tielemans moves on we would need to replace him somehow. Beyond that if a great prospect became available of course we should go for him but it’s not always the case.

Finally we must reduce the number of injuries as it’s holding us back. Some are inevitable but not this many and it’s too much of a coincidence to attribute it solely to bad luck.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

In my view a major overhaul would be a mistake because the ethos and balance of the squad is strong. It’s easy and tempting to make lots of changes but it’s also expensive and risky.

Currently we are a centre back away from being top 6, though if Tielemans moves on we would need to replace him somehow. Beyond that if a great prospect became available of course we should go for him but it’s not always the case.

Finally we must reduce the number of injuries as it’s holding us back. Some are inevitable but not this many and it’s too much of a coincidence to attribute it solely to bad luck.

We equally could be foolish not doing an overhaul this summer as the amount of players we have who's Co tracts are expiring in the next 18 months is significant and several we won't want to extend and there's a few who clearly fancy a new challenge too. To not take care of that this summer and leave it to the summer after would be a huge mistake. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We equally could be foolish not doing an overhaul this summer as the amount of players we have who's Co tracts are expiring in the next 18 months is significant and several we won't want to extend and there's a few who clearly fancy a new challenge too. To not take care of that this summer and leave it to the summer after would be a huge mistake. 

Agreed. A mini overhaul is definitely on the cards due to the number of players who come the summer will only have 12 months remaining on the contract, and due to the lack of speculation around extending these players contracts, it seems the club are planning/expecting this 

• Like 1