Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

World Football Thread 2022/23

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Benzema has left Real. Surely Kane to Real will happen? 

Yeah, surely this will happen now. He's the best striker they can get at the moment, they are rich enough to afford the fee for a 30 year old, and Spurs would be much more ready to sell him to a club outside of England. He would be absolutely insane to turn them down.

47 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Royale Union SG denied the Belgium title again due to a late goal from Toby Alderweireld for  Antwerp!

Their first title since 1957.

Well technically Brugge denied them. Had Alderweireld not scored, then Genk would've been champions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shen said:

Well technically Brugge denied them. Had Alderweireld not scored, then Genk would've been champions.

Yeah 3 teams could have still won the league going into injury time in the final game and a massive Antwerp fan scores what ends up being the deciding goal.

Sometimes football is wonderful.

Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) will take control of four teams in the Saudi Pro League.  The clubs chosen are the four founding members: Al Ahli, Al Ittihad, Al Hilal and Al Nassr and include the first, second and third place finishers.  Ronaldo, of course, plays for Al Nassr.  Al Hilal are reported to have offered a $1.3 billlion dollar contract to Lionel Messi.  PIF — which owns an 80 per cent stake in Newcastle United — will control 75 per cent of the four SPL teams.  Four other league clubs are to be taken over by state-owned or state-directed companies.

As sickened as I am by the state of top-level football ... more and more a sportswashing exercise and less and less anything to do with real competition ... I'm just as sickened at myself for not being able to wash my hands of it and move on.  Are Saudi fans enjoying a "competition" whose top clubs are all owned by one Saudi government agency any different from fans watching NUFC owned by the very same entity?  Or Man City or PSG dominating their leagues courtesy of other oil dictatorships?  How about watching an ever-expanding World Cup run to spin money by an equally corrupt FIFA.  But at least there you don't already know who is going to win!

And here we stand addicted.

The whole thing has a last-days-of-the-Roman-empire feel to me.

13 hours ago, KingsX said:

Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) will take control of four teams in the Saudi Pro League.  The clubs chosen are the four founding members: Al Ahli, Al Ittihad, Al Hilal and Al Nassr and include the first, second and third place finishers.  Ronaldo, of course, plays for Al Nassr.  Al Hilal are reported to have offered a $1.3 billlion dollar contract to Lionel Messi.  PIF — which owns an 80 per cent stake in Newcastle United — will control 75 per cent of the four SPL teams.  Four other league clubs are to be taken over by state-owned or state-directed companies.

As sickened as I am by the state of top-level football ... more and more a sportswashing exercise and less and less anything to do with real competition ... I'm just as sickened at myself for not being able to wash my hands of it and move on.  Are Saudi fans enjoying a "competition" whose top clubs are all owned by one Saudi government agency any different from fans watching NUFC owned by the very same entity?  Or Man City or PSG dominating their leagues courtesy of other oil dictatorships?  How about watching an ever-expanding World Cup run to spin money by an equally corrupt FIFA.  But at least there you don't already know who is going to win!

And here we stand addicted.

The whole thing has a last-days-of-the-Roman-empire feel to me.

Of course FIFA are supposed to set in when political involvement occurs within a football federation. For some reason I don't think they will here. 

Saudis are taking the piss now.

I suppose you can't fault anyone for taking the £.....Think a lot of people would do that if someone came to you and said they'd make you rich for life. Thing is, these guys are already mega rich so i don't get it.

But hey, is what it is.

3 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Saudis are taking the piss now.

I suppose you can't fault anyone for taking the £.....Think a lot of people would do that if someone came to you and said they'd make you rich for life. Thing is, these guys are already mega rich so i don't get it.

But hey, is what it is.

They aren't the first, it was China a few years ago, Russia too.  Saudi are merely the latest in a line.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Why have the PIF bought those four clubs? What's the ultimate goal beyond big money vanity signings? Trying to say "come on lads look at us, we're not that bad!"

Yeah I don't really get it as well. 

I think China failed because they realised that people won't watch Chinese clubs play other Chinese clubs. The same applies to Saudi and I fear they will go after the CL like they have with the LIV Tour. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

I think China failed because they realised that people won't watch Chinese clubs play other Chinese clubs. The same applies to Saudi and I fear they will go after the CL like they have with the LIV Tour. 

Yeah man this feels a bit bigger than China doesn't it, only gonna take someone big moving there in their prime for a shift before we get things like an expanded club world cup as part of the calendar.

4 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah man this feels a bit bigger than China doesn't it, only gonna take someone big moving there in their prime for a shift before we get things like an expanded club world cup as part of the calendar.

Definately, thats very likely.

6 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Simply the reasoning is the root as to why Saudi Arabia are interested in Sport, sportswashing. Competition on a macro scale won’t matter in their league, as they’ll have this jumble sale of 33 year old European greats, who will add value through their sponsorship and interaction with Saudi culture, distracting from the real issues. 
Champions League is a great shout!

Lionel Messi to join Inter Miami after leaving PSG - BBC Sport

I said a couple of years ago he'd end up there, but with the pull of the Saudi league I wondered if that would change, seems not.

A huge coup for the MLS, and it will mean sell outs whenever he plays, I wouldn't be surprised if lots of MLS clubs switched their games against Miami to larger stadiums to accomodate the demand.

The hypocrisy from fans of the big money clubs and media alike about “their (Suadi's) money ruining the game” without no irony whatsoever is quite funny it must be said. 

I'm not even talking MLS, i'm talking clubs in this very country and across Europe.

*I know Messi chose the MLS.

Edited by Matt