Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chrysalis

Paul Appiah

my cynical hat says that by 19/20, players released by clubs aren’t up to it. Why would we be taking other clubs cast offs ?  However, there are exceptions to that rule 

Defender Paul Appiah captained the Under-18s during the 2020/21 season. He was part of the team that lifted the FA Youth Cup in May 2021, scoring in the quarter-final. 

He also featured for the Under-23 squad during the last campaign, playing twice in the EFL Trophy against Fleetwood Town and Carlisle United.

Appiah previously represented Chelsea before moving to the Midlands to join Villa in July 2019.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

my cynical hat says that by 19/20, players released by clubs aren’t up to it. Why would we be taking other clubs cast offs ?  However, there are exceptions to that rule 

Defender Paul Appiah captained the Under-18s during the 2020/21 season. He was part of the team that lifted the FA Youth Cup in May 2021, scoring in the quarter-final. 

He also featured for the Under-23 squad during the last campaign, playing twice in the EFL Trophy against Fleetwood Town and Carlisle United.

Appiah previously represented Chelsea before moving to the Midlands to join Villa in July 2019.

Often to just fill up the teams with players. How many players make it from each year, one? The others sadly are just making up the numbers to allow the others to progress around them. 

Mostly you'll promote from within, but it depends on what you've got at the lower age levels, whether they are ready, whether it's going to leave you short etc. 

I'd imagine the club are pretty realistic about signing those sorts of players, and don't expect too much. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

De laat, Drinkwater, James, Izzett, Lennon, Savage, Vardy, to name but 7, all stellar signings all let go…..

Izzet, Lennon, savage we're all bought not let go.

Delaat Drinkwater and James were never good enough for Man utd and were sold too. Vardy was sold too.

12 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Delaat Drinkwater and James were never good enough for Man utd and were sold too. Vardy was sold too.

Vardy was released by Sheffield Wednesday

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Savage was released by Man Utd and Lennon was released by Man City they both then signed for Crewe who we paid to sign them from.

• Like 2

Think it depends on the players mental toughness, but being released could be a real kick up the arse for some. Like being in an academy playing for one of the biggest teams in England its probably easy to think you've made it and to let off a bit on the training and fall behind. Then being released will be a bit of a shock to the system and give you a reason to get back in to it and start giving 110% again.

47 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

De laat, Drinkwater, James, Izzett, Lennon, Savage, Vardy, to name but 7, all stellar signings all let go…..

They were all signed when the club was at a much lower level than it is now. It will be so much harder to find prospects who can make a short to medium term impact if we maintain our current level.

I always think Vardy can be raised by anyone to prove or disprove almost any rule and is a marvellous exception to anything. 

The premise of your post, however, is still correct. 

Certainly looked big and strong on Saturday in his half with a few good diagonal passes too. Caught my eye more than the trialist left back, not that he did anything wrong. 

Edited by Lesta2014
Spelling error
  • Like 1

...his approach to the game was very mature and you did not feel he was coming in to make up the numbers!!!

He had an idea in his head about what he wanted to do before he received the pass, it will be interesting if we maintain him in that position. The temptation may be to bring him into the DM role with his ability to break lines with his passing, or transitioning the play.

30 minutes ago, Jabfox said:

Impressed me Saturday apart from not tracking his runner for the second goal. 

Be interesting to see how he develops with us. 

....not sure that it was his man!!!

The attacker pulled onto an LCFC player where his teammate was occupying the same player (overload) at the back post. The last-minute dart from back to front caught our defense off guard allowing the Notts County attacker a free header. A good set piece by County and we need to organize much better in the future, but I did not think it was Appiah's man to pick up.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....not sure that it was his man!!!

The attacker pulled onto an LCFC player where his teammate was occupying the same player (overload) at the back post. The last-minute dart from back to front caught our defense off guard allowing the Notts County attacker a free header. A good set piece by County and we need to organize much better in the future, but I did not think it was Appiah's man to pick up.

Ah that's fair enough! was just going from memory of the game so my bad. 

he looks a big lad for 19 as well. 

• Like 1