Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

First Female Manager In Mens Football

Can’t see a premier league team doing it for a while yet.

A football league team will be 1st, eventually there will be a natural progression where a woman gets a job in the premier league.
As much as the media try and force it on us the women’s game is still miles behind the mens game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

It’s bound to happen in the next few years. Which current PL club will be first to employ a female manager? (obviously to the mens side)

Assuming this is in relation to just England? As didn't Clermont have a female manager a few years back

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

Can’t see a premier league team doing it for a while yet.

A football league team will be 1st, eventually there will be a natural progression where a woman gets a job in the premier league.
As much as the media try and force it on us the women’s game is still miles behind the mens game.

Force.....:D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

Hang on before you answer why, I need to go grab some snacks as this is bound to be good…

Anyone that’s ever played Saturday or Sunday football would understand this. Would imagine it’s much worse with a squad of 30 odd blokes.

40 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Nope. That’s not an answer of WHY it won’t work in the pro male game.

Can see what he means, even if it isn’t forever at least for the foreseeable future. Assuming we’re talking English League Football, as Clermont had a female manager a few years back, then I think the main issue of a twofold: there is still a decent portion of a supporter base who would put their nose at it and never truly get behind it. Secondly I think the playing staff wouldn’t be as open as some think. Especially with how international English league football is there’s a non-zero chance you’d have a few foreign players who don’t have the view on women in football as England has (and even that has only developed over the last couple years). We’re at the point where a male player coming out is still considered an achievement and newsworthy due to issues in the dressing room and the stands. 

This is something a female manager would have to overcome before even getting to managerial duties. I wouldn’t blame any woman for wanting to get involved solely in the woman’s game that, you would assume at least, is likely to receive a lot more investment in the future and would have no where near the adversity a men’s football role would have. 

• Like 1

I was wondering the same thing recently, as the women's game progresses you'd assume it would be a matter of time. I'm certainly not against it, talent should rise to the top regardless.

The biggest thing holding the women's game back at the moment is probably the lack of day-in-day-out training and operations on the club side.

On a tangential note, I was wondering why I just wasn't enjoying the women's Euros as much as I do the men's game. Take the cultural and emotional attachments away, and it's a (subtly?) different game on the pitch.

I found this NIH study attempting to quantify the differences 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8336886/#:~:text=The differences between men's and,tactics tailored to female teams.

Headlines:

The women's game features more individual duels/errors 

Passes are on average shorter and less accurate 

Shots are taken from closer to the goal

Possession is turned over more quickly

The time between consecutive events is shorter

Individual player ratings tend to be lower on an objective scale compared to the men's game

There is higher 'player centrality' and more variance in player ratings in the men's game, meaning more players acting as 'hubs' of play. The ball is spread more evenly between players in women's football on average.

Theories:

The authors of the paper postulate that much of the difference is down to higher technical ability, a result of the sport being professional for such a long time, and physiological/anthropometrical reasons such as muscle power.

Any manager coming from the women's game to the men's side would have to be able to adapt their training, tactics and strategy to reflect the different style, although we can assume that the technical gap will close with time and investment.

40 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I wouldn’t blame any woman for wanting to get involved solely in the woman’s game that, you would assume at least, is likely to receive a lot more investment in the future and would have no where near the adversity a men’s football role would have. 

Add to this, a percentage of leaders in the women's game would presumably be inclined to stay and develop the sport rather than jump ship. There's an incentive to make money and history by being the first into the men's professional game, but this is balanced by the prospect of leading the development of women's football to an even footing internationally.