Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

First Female Manager In Mens Football

10 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

With Susan Whelan being high up on the board here at Leicester then... Emma Hayes becoming the next Leicester boss not impossible. 

lol this is amazing. 

Thank god Top isn't black or we'd definitely be hiring Paul Ince or Sol Campbell next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

Can see what he means, even if it isn’t forever at least for the foreseeable future. Assuming we’re talking English League Football, as Clermont had a female manager a few years back, then I think the main issue of a twofold: there is still a decent portion of a supporter base who would put their nose at it and never truly get behind it. Secondly I think the playing staff wouldn’t be as open as some think. Especially with how international English league football is there’s a non-zero chance you’d have a few foreign players who don’t have the view on women in football as England has (and even that has only developed over the last couple years). We’re at the point where a male player coming out is still considered an achievement and newsworthy due to issues in the dressing room and the stands. 

This is something a female manager would have to overcome before even getting to managerial duties. I wouldn’t blame any woman for wanting to get involved solely in the woman’s game that, you would assume at least, is likely to receive a lot more investment in the future and would have no where near the adversity a men’s football role would have. 

This is the Wes Brown defence: “Some of our players don’t like the blacks so it’s best we don’t have a black manager.”

It’s up there with the paternalistic “Oh, they’d see a cock or two in the changing room so it’s best they don’t”. Neither of them or any other cock and bull excuse washes, it’s all misogynistic claptrap.

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

This is the Wes Brown defence: “Some of our players don’t like the blacks so it’s best we don’t have a black manager.”

It’s up there with the paternalistic “Oh, they’d see a cock or two in the changing room so it’s best they don’t”. Neither of them or any other cock and bull excuse washes, it’s all misogynistic claptrap.

I don’t disagree. But at the same time we still have very few black managers. None of it reflects my own views, I wouldn’t care if a woman became manager of a men’s football teams, as long as they can do the job, but you asked why you feel it won’t work, and I responded I think there’s still a culture around football that would make it extremely hard to work. It’s unfair but I can’t see it going any other way unfortunately, they’d be fighting an uphill battle and there’s now potentially more money in the woman’s game without having to deal with the shite. Not to say it won’t happen, I just think it’s unlikely. 

9 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I'm not opposed to it, but I just couldn't see a woman manager commanding the respect of 25 blokes. 

Our CEO seems to command the respect of 100's of blokes.... could say the same for 1000's of workplaces the world over.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I don’t disagree. But at the same time we still have very few black managers. None of it reflects my own views, I wouldn’t care if a woman became manager of a men’s football teams, as long as they can do the job, but you asked why you feel it won’t work, and I responded I think there’s still a culture around football that would make it extremely hard to work. It’s unfair but I can’t see it going any other way unfortunately, they’d be fighting an uphill battle and there’s now potentially more money in the woman’s game without having to deal with the shite. Not to say it won’t happen, I just think it’s unlikely. 

I didn’t to be fair, I asked the poster why he made his statement because I know what the answer is, and his inability to give a straight answer kinda confirms it.

The thing I never get about people who want to see this, is surely as we're wanting the women's game to grow, taking away the best women's coaches to go and manage stoke seems a little counter productive no? Emma Hayes is a good example of this, she's highly rated within the women's game. Is the sentiment we want to set is you can be a really good women's manager and use the women's game as a stepping stone for the men's?

12 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

With Susan Whelan being high up on the board here at Leicester then... Emma Hayes becoming the next Leicester boss not impossible. 

She's been high up here for years?

I can't see it happening, even more so in the Premier League.

4 hours ago, AjcW said:

Emma Hayes has been offered job after job in the football league, so I doubt it'll be long before she accepts one!

Her answer when asked where she rejected AFC Wimbledon was interesting. Why she would leave a club where they have some of the best training facilities, a full medical staff, full analyst, scouting team, play in the very best stadiums across Europe to manage in a league where a number of teams have training grounds they rent, analyst is a uni work experience kid, the medical staff are apprentices and you going Morecambe or Plymouth on Tuesday nights. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

The thing I never get about people who want to see this, is surely as we're wanting the women's game to grow, taking away the best women's coaches to go and manage stoke seems a little counter productive no? Emma Hayes is a good example of this, she's highly rated within the women's game. Is the sentiment we want to set is you can be a really good women's manager and use the women's game as a stepping stone for the men's?

This.

Female sport has been presented with enough hurdles thanks to men, the last thing the female game needs is for men to come along and take away from it again. Let the female game flourish, let them continue to do what they love doing, and producing the results. 

Football can learn a lot from the lioness’ and female football in general. 

Since our premier league win this has been the most significant milestone in English football. 

• Like 1

I think there's been opporunities to over the years, I do believe a lot of female coaches have applied for male manager's job. The owners and chairmans have been tempted however they been but off in fear of the blacklash from supporters. However I do feel times have changed and even more so for calls for more female coaches in the mens game. Hope Powell I recall was interviewed for the Grimsby Town job while she was England womens manager. Possibily she was the favourite for the job however it got leaked by the press and suddenly Grimsby Town supporters were all up in anger. After that Grimsby board choose not to pursuit her anymore. This was like 2009 or 2010. My fear for the female coaches/managers who gets appointed first needs to be success, because owners/chairmans and pundits will able saying "well as you can see female coaches didn't work out, managing a mens team"

What we could see a female assistant manager being brought into the premier league alot sooner, but may be someone less known. For example Gemma Davies think she landed the Villa ladies job in her late 20's, got the team promoted to WSL and kept them up, but then got sacked, currently head coach England women Under 17's atm.

Edited by Leicesterpool