Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

England World Cup squad 2022.

so with the word cup squad soon to be announced ( on Thursday) there’s a lot of talk over maddison and will He be in the squad. And of course he should. We all know that.

but I think we have a dark horse amongst our ranks who might also make the squad. 

Reece James is injured  and Alexander Arnold hopelessly out of form that has to leave Trippier nail on for the RB slot. He could have been switched to LB with Chillwell out injured..

I think James Justin has a real chance of making the Squad as well!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I am going to be optimistic and say JJ and Maddison both in.  I think the coverage of Maddison now is such that Southgate will be castigated if we don't do well and he didn't take him.  Both unlikely to get much if any game time.

Same, I think Maddison will get selected.

12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Same, I think Maddison will get selected.

Agreed. Southgate would look (even more?) ignorant and stubborn to ignore the calls. The noise is ramping up on the back of Madders' recent performances.

Doesn't mean Southgate will actually play him mind.

5 minutes ago, taupe said:

Agreed. Southgate would look (even more?) ignorant and stubborn to ignore the calls. The noise is ramping up on the back of Madders' recent performances.

Doesn't mean Southgate will actually play him mind.

Yeah, that's another thing. Lots of players, each World Cup, rightly go but don't get selected.

I can't remember the last time we had a progressive manager. It seems to be same every International tournemount now.

6 hours ago, KFS said:

JJ and Madders included are what I need to squeeze out some passion for this shitfest of a WC. Although it almost certainly means losing them both in the summer. 

I think there's more danger of losing them if they don't go.

• Like 2

I was running through some potential XI's yesterday with a mate and it was a thoroughly depressing experience! 

A few outside chances that would keep trippier at left back (which is what Gareth will want...)

Ben White at Right Back (smashing it there for Arsenal)

Trent to suddenly start being in favour lol 

I think JJ will still make the squad, just because there's barely anything left on that side!

It was CB that was making me cry as well, slim pickings there! 

Let's be honest, most of you whiny lot won't be happy unless Maddison plays every minute, scores five goals including the winner in the World Cup Final. Even then you'll probably call Southgate a scumbag for taking so long to select him.

I hope he goes but this place is going to be horrific no matter what. Doesn't go "Waaaa not supporting England now." Goes but doesn't play "waaa not supporting England now." Goes, plays but doesn't play well "Waaaa not supporting England now."

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I am going to be optimistic and say JJ and Maddison both in.  I think the coverage of Maddison now is such that Southgate will be castigated if we don't do well and he didn't take him.  Both unlikely to get much if any game time.

I don't think Southgate will be that bothered by it all.

He's done well as England manager and this is probably his last tournament. After a month or so there'll be little outrage about Maddison given he's just a little old Leicester player.

• Like 1

My England team (be warned, it's depressing).

I think England are best in a 4-3-3.

GK - Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale.

RB - Walker, Trippier, James

CB - Stones, Tomori, White, Dier, Coady

LB - Shaw, Justin

CM - Rice, Bellingham, JWP, Henderson, Phillips

AM - Maddison, Foden, Grealish, Mount, Saka

FW - Kane, Wilson, Toney.

Pickford

James Stones White Shaw

Maddison Rice Bellingham

Saka Kane Foden

The fact Maddison is even a debate is comical. He has been one of the most consistent performers in the league for nearly 18 months. His numbers are incredible. James Maddison is a top 4 player. That is his next level. 

I think we are going to be very pissed off for him come the squad announcement. Southgate, alongside his coaches made a lot of excuses in the last squad announcement as to why he wasnt in. Not one excuse made sense. I think he is a stubborn man and a below average manager - those sort of traits very rarely lead you to the right decision. 

No chance JJ goes. Southgate hung him out to dry when he played so that ship's sailed. 

Maddison going would be the FA as a collective admitting they've been wrong about him for the last 18 months, which most likely won't happen either. 

Not particularly arsed either way, the competition will go down as the worst World Cup in history. 15,000 deaths for 5700 minutes of football. 

• Like 1

here’s part of the problem. In our last two major tournaments we have gotten to the final and also the semi finals.  On paper that’s fairly impressive.

As much as I hate Southgate, I’m convinced he’s going to use that as a license to do what he wants RE madders and others. 

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

here’s part of the problem. In our last two major tournaments we have gotten to the final and also the semi finals.  On paper that’s fairly impressive.

As much as I hate Southgate, I’m convinced he’s going to use that as a license to what he wants RE madders and others  

Fact is he's probably quite good at tournament football game management. Essentially shit housing our way through defensively. 

It's horrible to watch but likelihood is with him in charge we make QF's minimum every tournament. 

The bloke can't even find space for Foden most of the time, imagine any other nation doing that? lol 

I think if Howe or Potter were in charge we would score goals for fun but we'd also occassionally lose to France/Spain/Germany HEAVILY and if that happens in a tournament then bang you're out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Fact is he's probably quite good at tournament football game management. Essentially shit housing our way through defensively. 

It's horrible to watch but likelihood is with him in charge we make QF's minimum every tournament. 

The bloke can't even find space for Foden most of the time, imagine any other nation doing that? lol 

I think if Howe or Potter were in charge we would score goals for fun but we'd also occassionally lose to France/Spain/Germany HEAVILY and if that happens in a tournament then bang you're out.

there can be no logical explanation, neither has he given one for madders continued exclusion from the squad.  In the last 18 months, No English AM has set up or scored more goals than him. Period. 

it’s bizarre . But yeah, unfortunately if we keep performing in the tournaments then the powers that be won’t care.  They just want to see our ranking up there.

Edited by MPH

19 minutes ago, MPH said:

there can be no logical explanation, neither has he given one for madders continued exclusion from the squad.  In the last 18 months, No English AM has set up or scored more goals than him. Period. 

it’s bizarre . But yeah, unfortunately if we keep performing in the tournaments then the powers that be won’t care.  They just want to see our ranking up there.

Whatever keeps us high enough to maintain the Nike contract...

It’s pretty staggering how much this England team has regressed in the past 12 months or so. What happened?

I think we’ll do well to get out of our group, Wales will be bang up for it and Iran are far stronger than most people are anticipating, US are a bit more unpredictable.

10 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It’s pretty staggering how much this England team has regressed in the past 12 months or so. What happened?

I think we’ll do well to get out of our group, Wales will be bang up for it and Iran are far stronger than most people are anticipating, US are a bit more unpredictable.

I agree, people seem to think we'll walk the group, I can't see it.  I just hope we don't lose to the USA I'll never hear the end of it.

Maddison will be a very dangerous player due to his creativity (with and without the ball) against teams that will play a low block which at times Gareth Southgate has struggled to get the better out of. I cannot see a player of Maddison's caliber NOT be of any use for England at the World Cup.

It’s crazy to think that Justin probably has more of a chance than Maddison but even then I think it’s a long shot. 

Walker & James are injured, along with Chilwell. You would say now that it’s Luke Shaw nailed on to start at left back and Trippier to start at right back. Trent will go, and I think Ben White will get in because he’s played at right back as well as centre back. Southgate has also used Saka at LWB numerous times.

Then you’ve got the centre halves which will likely consist of Maguire, Stones, Coady, Dier & Tomori. So with those mentioned - 

TAA

Trippier

White 

Shaw 

Stones

Maguire 

Tomori

Dier

Coady

Personally think his central midfielders will be: 

Rice

Bellingham

Henderson 

JWP

Believe Kalvin Phillips is injured? 

Then attacking wise you’ll have 

Mount

Foden

Grealish

Saka

Sterling 

Bowen (Madders best chance of making it instead of him) 

Kane 

Abraham

Wilson/Toney

Imagine he’ll name one of the injured lads as well. Just cannot see him putting Maddison in. 

If Maddison gets selected it’s purely because Southgate has caved into the media pressure.

He picked a squad a month ago and didn’t think Maddison was worthy of a call up, anyone who was available but not selected in that squad ideally wouldn’t be in the World Cup squad ( barring a injury crisis )

Pretty much any Football fan can see he should be in the squad, it’s mental that he hasn’t been called up in the past couple of years.

Southgate must be the only person who doesn’t want him in the squad, hopefully this tournament is Southgate’s last.

• Like 1

I can understand the opprobrium towards Southgate here, especially if he doesn't pick Maddison.

However, it is a matter of simple record that he has a major tournament record as England manager second only to that of Alf Ramsey. Now, if people want to dismiss that as being matters of luck or the right team at the right time, then fair enough - but such things are matters of subjective discussion, rather than objective fact.

• Like 1