Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Azzedine Ounahi

9 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/leicester-city-azzedine-ounahi-morocco-7931876

Leicester City will not repeat Claudio Ranieri transfer mistake with record bid
Latest Leicester City news from LeicestershireLive explains why the signing of Azzedine Ounahi would not repeat Claudio Ranieri's mistake

SPORT
ByLuke PawleyMidlands Football Writer
21:15, 14 DEC 2022

Leicester City will have learned from a past mistake if they do persist with a rumoured £39 million bid for Morocco midfielder Azzedine Ounahi.

Ounahi has created a lot of hype with his impressive performances for Morocco, helping his side to the semi-finals, beating Belgium, Spain and Portugal along the way. But one good tournament does not necessarily make a good, well-rounded, adaptable player and person.

If City do sign the 22-year-old, he will have been scouted for at least two years by a number of different scouts, both on video and in person. City have historically scouted France well - just ask Riyad Mahrez and N'Golo Kante - so will have watched him regularly for Angers.

He played 32 league games last season and has already appearanced in 14 this, so there have been plenty of opportunities to watch the youngster in action. They will most certainly not be signing a player off the back of one tournament.

City learned that lesson the hard way when they signed Bartosz Kapustka in 2016 after the Polish winger, then just 19 years old, stole the show at Euro 2016. Leicester signed him after that tournament for £7.5m from KS Cracovia, on the insistence of Claudio Ranieri.

It was a move that went entirely against the ethos of the scouting and recruitment departments. It was reported at the time that City never sent a scout to watch him live.

That soon became apparent. Kapustka made just three competitive appearances for Leicester, all of them in the 2016-17 FA Cup.

He soon went out on loan to Freiburg and Leuven and left on a free transfer in the summer of 2020. He joined Legia Warsaw back in his homeland and has scored just one in 16 appearances this season.

If Azzedine Ounahi joins Leicester City, rest assured he will not be another Bartosz Kapustka. Khun Top, Jon Rudkin, Martyn Glover and Brendan Rodgers would not allow that to happen.

The Mercury just gets worse doesn't it? Used to be a top local newspaper, now just full of pointless shite like this and endless clickbait. Sad

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tielemans63 said:

The Mercury just gets worse doesn't it? Used to be a top local newspaper, now just full of pointless shite like this and endless clickbait. Sad

Used to use their comments section as a sort of forum before discovering FT.

It actually used to have decent transfer "rumours". As you say, this Leicestershire live thing they have going is just awful.

23 hours ago, Aleksz said:

Sorry Ric, I’m sure you’re right on the numbers but sometimes when you watch a player you just know. This lads a belter. 

All pointless anyway as like I said earlier he’ll have the pick of Europe in January even if our interest is actually genuine.

...he looks good  approaching the goal, but just going off the YouTube clip, there is little to no end product!!!

I had not looked at his goal involvement but you can see the service to the players around him are not opportunities being served up to be converted. 

He looks slight and very good on the ball, he will have to bring more to his game such as better decision making around the edge of the box.

9 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he looks good  approaching the goal, but just going off the YouTube clip, there is little to no end product!!!

I had not looked at his goal involvement but you can see the service to the players around him are not opportunities being served up to be converted. 

He looks slight and very good on the ball, he will have to bring more to his game such as better decision making around the edge of the box.

Enzo Le Fee is the one for us.

• Like 1

Looks a player!

.....But if we are talking that sum of money, i doubt we'd be shooting straight in there with January bids, Surely we'd be better scouting him for the remaining part of the season and making the call in the summer.

Spending that kind of money on a player based off 6 games is madness and would suspect our hierarchy are better than that!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

It all comes down to the price really. The prices being mentioned here are far beyond his worth and his potential. Maybe around £10m would be a gamble worth taking.

I'm not sure we can conclusively say he will never be worth €45m. And, a player who has just had a superb World Cup is definitely worth more than £10m. You haven't even been able to get a top Championship prospect for £10m for some time now.

He's a tidy player. Lightweight but combative, skillful, and an eye for a pass. His goals and assist stats aren't great but he's at the age where they will be attributes that he will be looking to improve on consistently.

If we can bring him in as a facilitator rather than an 'end product' player, I'd have no problem with it. But, I'd agree that €45m is a sizable risk for us right now, and buying after a major tournament is literally the worst time to do so.

We have other priorities that will cost us less money, so I wouldn't be too perturbed if we missed out here. But he looks a real player, and if he stays where he is and continues to look the business, a move in the summer may be more appropriate for us.

Edited by ALC Fox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ALC Fox said:

I'm not sure we can conclusively say he will never be worth €45m. And, a player who has just had a superb World Cup is definitely worth more than £10m. You haven't even been able to get a top Championship prospect for £10m for some time now.

He's a tidy player. Lightweight but combative, skillful, and an eye for a pass. His goals and assist stats aren't great but he's at the age where they will be attributes that he will be looking to improve on consistently.

If we can bring him in as a facilitator rather than an 'end product' player, I'd have no problem with it. But, I'd agree that €45m is a sizable risk for us right now, and buying after a major tournament is literally the worst time to do so.

We have other priorities that will cost us less money, so I wouldn't be too perturbed if we missed out here. But he looks a real player, and if he stays where he is and continues to look the business, a move in the summer may be more appropriate for us.

Plus we have the ideal manager to improve his backwards and sideways movement. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

People talk about £45m like it’s pocket change.  Outside of the big 6 how many players have ever in the history of football been bought for that kind of price in England?  I’m thinking not many which makes him way too expensive and far too much of a gamble when we didn’t have a pot to wee in during the summer. 

• Like 1

On 15/12/2022 at 20:55, Tielemans63 said:

Welcome to the REACH publications group. :(

4 hours ago, Mint23 said:

People talk about £45m like it’s pocket change.  Outside of the big 6 how many players have ever in the history of football been bought for that kind of price in England?  I’m thinking not many which makes him way too expensive and far too much of a gamble when we didn’t have a pot to wee in during the summer. 

...very much not pocket change, but we are talking Euros as opposed to GBP!!!

We did indulge ourselves when we bought Youri, and Fofana did not come cheap as well.

Pretty much the price (45m euros) you would be looking at for the finished article, but with Glover on the case l suspect we will be picking up real quality at a more than affordable prices.

We picked up Maddison for £25m from the championship back in the day, that would equate to 30m euros. 

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mint23 said:

i feel like I see this exact message every few years, but the number keeps getting bigger..

11 hours ago, Mint23 said:

I can think of 3:

Newcastle: Isak £63m

Everton: Sigurdsson £50m

West Ham: Haller £45m

Spurs bonus, as they shouldn't ever be considered in the Top of anything:

Romero £45m

Richarlison £52m

Ndombele £54m

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1