Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SpacedX

Turkey's largest earthquake on record?

This is horrendous. A 7.8 event is by far the largest earthquake ever recorded in this region of the Turkey/Syria border and may turn out to be the largest ever registered in Turkey in the history of instrumental recording. To make matters worse, it was a shallow focus event and occurred at night. The death toll will likely be higher than the 1999 Izmit earthquake which claimed over 18,000 lives, and larger than the 1939 quake on the Northern Anatolian Fault. Dreadful news. Hoping that there aren't any significant aftershocks. 

Absolutely harrowing. Middle of winter and in the morning too, when nobody will be up. You could be looking at millions homeless and a 6 figure death toll. 

Found myself watching a well put together documentary of the Japan tsunami yesterday. The destruction a natural disaster can cause is just incredible.

• Like 1

There will be a number of aftershocks over the next few days and weeks as the plates beneath the ground recalibrate. Just another reminder that there is nothing more powerful on earth than mother nature.

Am totally fascinated with geology with the likes of earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis.

Another thing to note from a scientific viewpoint is that the Indian Ocean quake in 2004 (Boxing Day, one of the biggest ever at magnitude 9.4) was some 50 times as strong as this one (a difference of 1.6 on a logarithmic scale like the magnitude scale corresponds to around 50x), and much rarer. Guess it goes to show that location, as well as strength, is a critical factor in how much damage these earthquakes can cause.

Both quakes picked up on the British monitoring site. It's even picked up in the Faroe Islands. 

https://earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/data/home.html

This is the station in-between Coalville and Shepshed. Each line represents half an hour and if you factor in time difference you'll see it's detected up minutes later over here.

http://quakes.bgs.ac.uk/helicorder/heli_dir_shz/CWF_SHZ_GB_00.2023020600.gif

Edited by Collymore

I stayed in Antioch in 2010, which was something of a dream for me, even more so looking back. Stayed with a family who worked at the Catholic church in the old town. I've been trying to find some information specifically about that city but I'm not sure I want to. Very very upsetting news.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bovril said:

I stayed in Antioch in 2010, which was something of a dream for me, even more so looking back. Stayed with a family who worked at the Catholic church in the old town. I've been trying to find some information specifically about that city but I'm not sure I want to. Very very upsetting news.

I think that's where I heard on the news a footballer has been pulled from the rubble earlier today, ex Newcastle and Chelsea I think they said? I hope the family you know are ok.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I think that's where I heard on the news a footballer has been pulled from the rubble earlier today, ex Newcastle and Chelsea I think they said? I hope the family you know are ok.

I heard about an hour ago that the Catholic church is one of the only places still standing in the old town, probably because it's a low building. I imagine it's also of a better quality than many of the residential buildings in the city. So that's a sliver of good news but it seems so inconsequential compared to the overall situation. And that community will be better looked after than many there. Looking at the photos and videos from there is just surreal. I cannot believe what I'm seeing. 

Its bloody heartbreaking watching the news and stories.

We do so.much damage to the planet ourselves like war and then something  like this happens.

If only we could do our best to look after each other

• Thanks 3

If anyone is interested in donating to help, TUI will match every pound or Euro donated:

https://www.tuicarefoundation.com/en/take-action/emergency-relief-donation?emergency-relief/spende

Following the devastating earthquake in south-eastern Turkey and Syria, the TUI Care Foundation has launched an Emergency Relief Fund Appeal for local communities whose lives have been affected. 

The Relief Fund will support emergency relief efforts on the ground, where help is needed most. To maximise support to affected families in need, 100% of every donation will go directly to the emergency support.

Every donation made will be matched by the TUI Care Foundation, so for every euro or pound donated, the TUI Care Foundation will also donate a pound or euro.

• Like 1

I lived in Cyprus when I was younger and we had an aftershock of a Turkish earthquake. It knocked stuff off shelves and absolutely ruined some glassware/ pottery shops. I think that measured about 6.

So, to think what this has done is bloody awful and there's only so much you can do to prepare. There'll not be good news out of this one, sadly. 

16 hours ago, Raj said:

Its bloody heartbreaking watching the news and stories.

We do so.much damage to the planet ourselves like war and then something  like this happens.

If only we could do our best to look after each other

If only.

You'd think we'd be smart enough to know that the Earth presents enough challenges to us that we really don't need to look for more among each other.

Over 11000 confirmed dead now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Off the record briefings in turkey are looking at 250k deaths there. Most survivors of building collapses have perished from hypothermia. The area affected is enormous.

and Syria likely to be as grim 

Especially as the Russians bombed the crap out of much of the place.

Are there any signs that Russian or Syrian gov's will help?

Not that I've seen.