Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Euro 2024 Qualifiers

4 hours ago, Lionator said:

It was our own John Brooks 🤣

The red was a leg breaker, I’m not sure what else they could’ve done? It was also 3-0 before the red after 15 minutes so the massacre could’ve happened regardless. 

Just watched it back and I'm still falling on the same side that he's incredibly unlucky to see red there. The ball is there to go for but the French player manages to nick in before him. They love slowing it down and freezing the frame as if the guy has done it on purpose. I'm sure in their mind they probably think the Gibraltar player planned to do exactly that and it was pre-meditated. 

12 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Just watched it back and I'm still falling on the same side that he's incredibly unlucky to see red there. The ball is there to go for but the French player manages to nick in before him. They love slowing it down and freezing the frame as if the guy has done it on purpose. I'm sure in their mind they probably think the Gibraltar player planned to do exactly that and it was pre-meditated. 

I guess quite similar to Rashford’s against Copenhagen? 

Last night that tackle could definitely have been brushed off, it was 3-0, it was going to be a massacre regardless but the VAR got itchy fingers, probably as a result of the ongoing criticism of English refs. 

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I guess quite similar to Rashford’s against Copenhagen? 

Last night that tackle could definitely have been brushed off, it was 3-0, it was going to be a massacre regardless but the VAR got itchy fingers, probably as a result of the ongoing criticism of English refs. 

Was the VAR ref English too ?

3 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Take a look at the absolute BS in the media from ex pros who can't even agree themselves. This arguement that they'd be any better is frankly ridiculous. In fact I'd love to see a few come through to prove the point 🤷

Part of me wants to see genuinely biased former players become referees. The Twitter/ X army of big club bots who believe refs hate their club and love everyone else will probably melt when Danny Murphy gives a penalty against Arsenal "because we booed him 20 years and he never got over it!!!"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Corky said:

Part of me wants to see genuinely biased former players become referees. The Twitter/ X army of big club bots who believe refs hate their club and love everyone else will probably melt when Danny Murphy gives a penalty against Arsenal "because we booed him 20 years and he never got over it!!!"

Danny Murphy said ex players should be involved but only if they have played at the top level ..

Classic snobbery!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I pretty much refuse to argue the merits of international qualifiers with anyone arrogant enough to moan about having to play Malta or Luxembourg or whoever. 

They're countries. They deserve a chance to qualify. That's it. Get over it. 

They do, but other continents have preliminary rounds for the lower ranked nations. The format has gone a bit stale and England games lack any jeopardy.

That said, Azerbaijan battered Sweden the other day. Great example of nations developing

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

They do, but other continents have preliminary rounds for the lower ranked nations. The format has gone a bit stale and England games lack any jeopardy.

That said, Azerbaijan battered Sweden the other day. Great example of nations developing

I point to my previous post. There are many examples now of unfancied sides qualifying or at least making a very good fist of it.

I feel it speaks volumes that qualification is far more challenging for the B-tier teams (i.e. Sweden, Poland, Czechia, Denmark, Serbia, Ukraine etc) than it ever has been, and that every tournament over the past ten years or so one or more A-tier nations struggle too (see Italy '18, '22 and this time, Netherlands '16, '18).
This is despite the fact the number of qualification places have steadily increased over the years.

Even if you look at Gibraltar, their record since joining the qualis has improved year on year.

They started with an average GD per match of -5,4 in 2016, which became -4,4 in 2018, -3,5 in 2020, -3,9 in 2022 and currently -5 for 2024.

If you take away the freak result against France (and it was a freak result, even for them), they were on course for their best campaign yet with an average of -3 GD per game.

Considering they've only been playing competitively for 7 years, that is a staggering improvement where they've almost halved their negative GD.

Even better, San Marino, perennial whipping boys, are desperately close to their best ever campaign GD-wise (currently on -3 per match). They need only to  lose by less than 6 goals to achieve this.

I'm not saying any of these two will ever qualify, but they certainly have the potential to make things uncomfortable even for bigger sides (as the latter proved recently against Denmark).

Edited by shen
spelling
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Two things here really. 

That you have 24 teams out of a possible 51 in UEFA qualifying for the Euro Champs doesn’t leave you with a lot of room to budge in format. 

The Tv payments the minnows get for hosting the bigger countries effectively sorts them out of a few years - particularly given the Nations League set up 

49 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Rico Lewis makes his debut.

Pickford; Walker, Guehi, Maguire, Lewis; Alexander-Arnold, Rice, Grealish; Foden, Watkins, Saka.

Lewis played 19 league games for Man City

Caps just given away like sweets these days