Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Just been speaking to someone who apparently knows JJ and said he is happy here but has a clause in his contract. He didn’t say what it was but said Roma could meet it so presume it’s a release clause for teams in Europe.

On 24/06/2023 at 20:48, sacreblueits442 said:

...I understand your reasoning, and I think I would be doing all that I could to prepare for the coming season!!!

You do however need to clear your head, as to what transpired last season and approach the coming season with a fresh approach. Justin might just have been there to improve his fitness and game and it was an opportunity for Enzo to meet one of his new charges.

If I was in the country and in JJ's position I'd make sure I was there to show the new boss that I'm fit and ready to go. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Just been speaking to someone who apparently knows JJ and said he is happy here but has a clause in his contract. He didn’t say what it was but said Roma could meet it so presume it’s a release clause for teams in Europe.

We aren’t holding onto any player where we get a good offer. So I guess it doesn’t matter what clauses they have unless a suppressed fee is mentioned and we don’t do low release clauses.  As has been mentioned elsewhere, unlikely anyone takes a risk on JJ until January and then you’d wonder if any release clause would be valid mid season 

players agents could be spreading rumours to try and re negotiate their clients relegation salary reduction.  If JJ feels that the club really want him to stay then I’d be leaking all sorts of interest in him to try and up his new salary 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I didn't think we did release clauses anymore after the Kante and Vardy fiascos.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Basildon Fox said:

I didn't think we did release clauses anymore after the Kante and Vardy fiascos.

We don’t but relegation clauses are standard as a quid pro quo to the relegation salary reduction clause.  Doesn’t mean that it’s a give away figure - as a guess you punt for £25m ??

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Difference being is that Stones is a "footballer" very composed on the ball, JJ isn't. He's a very good fullback, but a hybrid role of defensive mid/central defender/right back is certainly not for him. 

If you're going to compare Maresca doing a pep, then JJ is the Kyle Walker and not a single defender we currently have on the books would be the Stones 

Agree to disagree mate. Think about some of the play and goals he scored. Very good and intelligent footballer. 

9 hours ago, st albans fox said:

We don’t but relegation clauses are standard as a quid pro quo to the relegation salary reduction clause.  Doesn’t mean that it’s a give away figure - as a guess you punt for £25m ??

This is a good point and may explain some of the perceived low ball valuations, for example Iheanacho at £8m, this could be due to his relegation release clause kicking in rather than Rudkin negotiating poorly. This will mean many of our players who do get sold will look to be a bargain or good deal on the part of the buying club, we took advantage when we signed Evans for a relative pittance. 

We may have leverage with some players whose release clause is still at a decent level and at least enables us to negotiate a more palatable fee such as players like Justin and possibly Castagne. 

Unfortunately this is one of the many financial consequences of relegation, we will be forced to accept lower than market value for outgoing players but still pay the going rate for incomings 

7 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

Agree to disagree mate. Think about some of the play and goals he scored. Very good and intelligent footballer. 

From full back, he's a very good attacking full back. 

There's a reason Pep has found this new tactic and already binned off Cancelo and is happy for Walker to leave too. 2 of the best attacking full backs currently in the world. There's a huge difference from being a full back who likes to get forward, and being asked to play effectively as a No. 8 and also fill in as part of a back 4. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

From full back, he's a very good attacking full back. 

There's a reason Pep has found this new tactic and already binned off Cancelo and is happy for Walker to leave too. 2 of the best attacking full backs currently in the world. There's a huge difference from being a full back who likes to get forward, and being asked to play effectively as a No. 8 and also fill in as part of a back 4. 

It’s as if you read my mind mate.

JJ is a great athlete (when fit) but he is NOT Stones and technically our only FB that could comfortably play in that inverted CM role is Ricky - which Rodgers poorly dabbled in last pre-season before Ricky broke down (again).

JJ’s pace in a back 3 does excite me though as an option.

30 minutes ago, kingpower said:

JJ would be much better in the ‘Walker’ role over the ‘Stones’ role. A pacy right sided CB with licence to get forward when needed 

This is exactly where I see him thriving. IIRC he needed to work on dealing with balls over the top, but with Souttar and Coady back there with him in a 3, that's not so much of a big deal. JJ and Ricardo rampaging down the right flank together would just be so much fun.

20 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

Really excited to have him back and I think he’ll be our first choice RB with Ricky pushing on ahead of him. JJ could do the “Stones” role IF Maresca is gonna do a Pep

Justin in centre midfield? Bit of a broad brush here but a lot of people are acting like we've dropped 3/4 divisions and we can just play anyone in any position for a laugh. The Championship is tougher than a lot seem to remember hence why it took us 10 years to escape last time round. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Justin in centre midfield? Bit of a broad brush here but a lot of people are acting like we've dropped 3/4 divisions and we can just play anyone in any position for a laugh. The Championship is tougher than a lot seem to remember hence why it took us 10 years to escape last time round. 

And Leeds 19 years and Forest 23.  Sense of realism I'm afraid will kick in quite quickly when the season starts.

30 minutes ago, jerry said:

And Leeds 19 years and Forest 23.  Sense of realism I'm afraid will kick in quite quickly when the season starts.

Yep, I think we'll struggle for automatic even if we make the signings we want, I just hope we can get in and around play off places, we need to get out in 3 years

• Like 1

On 08/07/2023 at 18:29, Jimbo said:

Difference being is that Stones is a "footballer" very composed on the ball, JJ isn't. He's a very good fullback, but a hybrid role of defensive mid/central defender/right back is certainly not for him. 

If you're going to compare Maresca doing a pep, then JJ is the Kyle Walker and not a single defender we currently have on the books would be the Stones 

How many years has Stones been playing. Someone like JJ has not yet really started…so his potential hasn’t yet been pushed..

Just now, moore_94 said:

£20m release clause that Arsenal used to try and get him after we won the league

It was hardly a fiasco, he famously turned them down, we even got a chant out of it!

He'd rather play in Leicester, the best team in the land iirc

1 minute ago, jim5000 said:

It was hardly a fiasco, he famously turned them down, we even got a chant out of it!

Yeah I think it was still a bit of one though as it went on for about 3 weeks from them bidding for him, to him signing his new deal

4 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

It was a fiasco.

We ended up having to pay £120k a week to keep him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

It was a fiasco.

We ended up having to pay £120k a week to keep him. 

Your idea of a fiasco and mine are mikes apart……..Vardy has been worth every penny of his wages since then…….

• Like 4

To think JJ, Coady, Winks were probably all in the same englamd squad a couple of years back..

Not a bad start if we add some pace and power with the fire sale money.

Ricardo, Justin, Faes, Ndidi, KDH, Thomas need to do some payback im afraid rather than jump ship.

• Like 1