Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

18 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

It's better to have the pts deduction pre season and plan accordingly (given the fact there won't be any more charges pending ofc). If others are penalised after Xmas it will be even better for us. 

Maybe they’ll try and arrange on that timescale 

6 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I understand West Ham frustrations at times but does feel like it could be a careful what you wish for situation. 

Their form has been terrible since January, the football is dreadful and has been for 18 months, and they're conceding loads of goals.

It feels like a couple of summers ago when we were saying get rid of Rodgers and loads said be careful what you wish for, look how that turned out for us. Fair play for them for giving someone else a go.

Posted (edited)

I'm always wary and careful of what I say about West Ham fans criticisms of Moyes because I know what I/We went through with Rodgers, "Be careful what you wish for", "You're lucky to have him", "He's won you an FA Cup [European trophy for WHU] and qualified for Europe", "What more do you want?", "You're ungrateful", "You're entitled", "He's overachieving", "Who you going to replace him with?!" e.t.c, and, I/We don't watch West Ham every week.

But when I have watched West Ham (Which isn't very often), I think they're quite decent, I'll be honest, I think Moyes is quite pragmatic.

They do seem to have spells of being terrible and then getting a run together, again much like us under Rodgers.

Edited by Matt

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Their form has been terrible since January, the football is dreadful and has been for 18 months, and they're conceding loads of goals.

It feels like a couple of summers ago when we were saying get rid of Rodgers and loads said be careful what you wish for, look how that turned out for us. Fair play for them for giving someone else a go.

We can only say that if we do well next season. At this stage we are no better off football wise than when Rodgers left.

Now that Forest are pretty much safe, I want them to succeed in their FFP appeal. Could help us and our case if so. 

Anything higher than minus 4-6 points starting next season, I think that could be too much for us to overcome. 

Need to be patient next season. It will not be easy at all. Everyone needs to stick together. Top has stood by the club after the horrendous loss of his dad 5 years ago and got us back to the Prem the first time of asking. I would have been so easy for him to walk away after losing his father.

• Like 1

The Moyes / WHU situation suits all parties, I think. Moyes leaves with his stock higher than it's been since he got the United gig, gets out of there before it becomes toxic, and West Ham can freshen things up before they go stale. 

Whether Lopetegui is the right appointment or not I don't know, but I don't think looking to replace Moyes while thanking him for his service is necessarily a bad move.

• Like 2

Yeah, good timing for Moyes contract to end. Seems pretty rare that happens with managers. Usually sacked or poached.

Whoever starts the season badly will be linked with Moyes for sure. Don't think he's the type of manager we would go for should the worst happen. 

1 hour ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

It's better to have the pts deduction pre season and plan accordingly (given the fact there won't be any more charges pending ofc). If others are penalised after Xmas it will be even better for us. 

You do realise we are going to get done again in the new year.

Well I suppose the way you do it is that you make clear that you don't direct swearing AT the ref (and where possible, oppo players).

I think we can all accept a CB shouting to his full backs "fuching track him" etc but if you swear at the ref, it's recorded and you get a 1 match ban. 

6 minutes ago, Countesthorpe Fox 1884 12 said:

how come?

Going to be a very big ask for us to have recouped enough of the 3 year deficit in the past 12 months with so much in wages still on our books and having spent reasonably well on players coming in. Imagine in their forecasting the higher-ups would have assumed they’d have shifted at least another £200k off a week than we actually did (Daka, Ward, Iheanacho) - may not be as big a breach as 21-23 but likely we’ll have breached, even with KDH out the door by June 30th 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Moyes is likely to be someone we'd end up going for if Enzo leaves us.

Yup, I expect up to 5-6 clubs in the lower half the Prem will be considering him if they get off to bad starts, us included!

There will be the usual grumbles about the style of play, but that won't put owners off who want to try avoid relegation. 

2 hours ago, Countesthorpe Fox 1884 12 said:

Well its kind of crucial to our planning thats all.

If its 6-9 points then we need to be three wins better than 18th, i think thats doable.

If its upward of that say 12 I think we have to plan for the championship again.

Key to our transfer policy and retention.

We spent the entire season pretty much bottom last time we came up then stayed up by 6 points . . .

2 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

There is not a chance that it would be anywhere near 12 points. Don't you get just 10 for going to to administration?

They tried to deduct 17 points from Everton in total which ended up being 8 overall. 12 for the first case but the independent panel gave them 10, which was reduced to 6 on appeal for mitigation. Then demanded 5 points for the second case, which ended up being just 2. With Forest they tried to deduct 6 points, which ended up as 4 thanks to de Marco, which they've appealed and should be hearing about any time soon.

This was in the report from the second Everton deduction:

In this case, we have read and considered with care the parties’ submissions in this respect, set out above at paragraph 159 above and not repeated here. In our view, many if not most of the criticisms levelled against the Club in this respect by the PL are unwarranted, overstated, or both. In our view, the Club has indeed cooperated with the PL in the presentation of these proceedings according to the Standard Directions (to which the Club consented from the outset) albeit in a manner that protected (quite properly) the interests of the Club.

Couple that with how they've behaved with us - 1. trying to fast track our case when those rules came in this season and didn't apply to us as we weren't in their league; 2. trying to hand down the deduction to the EFL so that we get a points deduction this season, which again, is not in their rules and they can't actually do it; 3. sharing confidential club information with the EFL which is against the law.

I think they'll try and give us the maximum possible but we'll end up with less than 6 from the panel, which we'll appeal and get reduced again. If they hadn't repeatedly broken their own rules I think the club might have just held their hands up and accepted the punishment. But we're on the warpath now. We'll challenge every single thing the Premier League tries to do against us from now on. And I think we'll win.

• Like 2

The biggest thing in our favour, is that they are changing the rules. Rather than sticking to their new strict enforcement policy, they are trying to get out of it as quickly as possible and brush it under the carpet, due to how unpopular it has been, and also wanting to protect their big 6 from point deductions.

If we kick up enough fuss, which I am sure we will, then I think the Premier League will back down and look for a quick and quiet way out. 

I think it will be 4-6 points, which you'd hope we could cancel out pretty early on depending on the fixture list. I just wish they would get on with it!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I doubt it, he doesn’t play the football King Power want. He should be though.

Agree with this.

Edited by Matt

5 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

The biggest thing in our favour, is that they are changing the rules. Rather than sticking to their new strict enforcement policy, they are trying to get out of it as quickly as possible and brush it under the carpet, due to how unpopular it has been, and also wanting to protect their big 6 from point deductions.

If we kick up enough fuss, which I am sure we will, then I think the Premier League will back down and look for a quick and quiet way out. 

I think it will be 4-6 points, which you'd hope we could cancel out pretty early on depending on the fixture list. I just wish they would get on with it!

This is how I think it will play out. 

• Like 1