Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

12 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

How has SkyBet got as a favourites to win this? We're rudderless, managerless and need a new squad. 

I would like to take the good odds that we will finish outside the top 6!  I already killed the bookies when they had us 8-1 for relegation at the end of March. Ludicrous, I'd seen us play each week! 

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think we will do well. Once the dust has settled and we’ve stopped feeling sorry for ourselves I think we will get it right. The right players will go for the right money, we will make the right managerial appoint and proceed to walk ourselves out of the championship. 

We are all self loathing at the moment, but that’s because of the height we’ve fallen from…. But, despite all of that, we are still a fantastic proposition for players to come to. We just allowed things to get a bit stale, but players won’t remember that, they will remember the league win, the FA cup and the European exploits. Plus they will also take into consideration where players end up when they’ve left us. We would attract some pretty decent talent if we play our cards right. 

Im still pissed off that we are here, but it is what it is…… so we need to use this as an opportunity to invest in a young hungry team that will hopefully be able to be carried into the premier league. 

We’ve done too much good to let this slip, time to move forward. 

Remember how  bad we were though against a well organised Blackburn team that didn’t even make the playoffs..?

We’re in a world of trouble and need a kompany type appointment… And that’s after we get rid of the poison above the manager 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rigga said:

Remember how  bad we were though against a well organised Blackburn team that didn’t even make the playoffs..?

We’re in a world of trouble and need a kompany type appointment… And that’s after we get rid of the poison above the manager 

Tbh though we were playing prime Rodgersball at that point, absolutely no clue. Pure and utter shite. 

I think there were glimpses of something better against West Ham, the goal was Leicester of old, there were quick passing phases, better movement. With the correct manager, retentions and acquisitions we can do well but it's so crucial to get it right.

This is why I'm sort of leaning towards Smith and co now, he's a known quantity and he was starting to have an impact at Newcastle and West Ham, I think with a few more games we would have stayed up. 

Edited by Foxin_Mad
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Tbh though we were playing prime Rodgersball at that point, absolutely no clue. Pure and utter shite. 

I think there were glimpses of something better against West Ham, the goal was Leicester of old, there were quick passing phases, better movement. With the correct manager, retentions and acquisitions we can do well but it's so crucial to get it right.

This is why I'm sort of leaning towards Smith and co now, he's a known quantity and he was starting to have an impact at Newcastle and West Ham, I think with a few more games we would have stayed up. 

As good a goal as it was, West Ham we’re on the beach let’s be honest..

Actually played like we have done all

season..no pressure on the ball and no intent 

3 minutes ago, Rigga said:

They may well have been but I'm pretty sure there's occasions where we don't win that game, under Rodgers mentality.

Spurs were on the beach 2 years ago but we somehow managed to lose 4-2! 

Bournemouth were dogshit, we somehow lost 4-1 after dominating the first half. 

Edited by Foxin_Mad

9 minutes ago, koop. said:

I think we'll piss it, 138 points, another trophy in the bag. Maybe a 2nd FA cup whilst we're at it.

Can't wait 

I was actually thinking this earlier. I had a bit of a half asleep dream where we won the league on 110 points, breaking records along the way, and beat spurs in the FA cup final, a spurs led by Brendan Rodgers.

How ****ing poetic would that be. 

• Like 1

TikTok has very quickly started showing me videos of Championship fans predicting the final league table for next season. It’s also started showing me potential transfers to look out for. 

Got me realising that I have ABSOLUTELY no idea about the Championship in 2023. Honestly, we could be entering the Bundasliga for all I know. I can’t tell you what players to look out for or what clubs will do well. I haven’t a scooby. 

Am I alone in this? Or are a lot of us having to do actual research to see what we’re entering? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

TikTok has very quickly started showing me videos of Championship fans predicting the final league table for next season. It’s also started showing me potential transfers to look out for. 

Got me realising that I have ABSOLUTELY no idea about the Championship in 2023. Honestly, we could be entering the Bundasliga for all I know. I can’t tell you what players to look out for or what clubs will do well. I haven’t a scooby. 

Am I alone in this? Or are a lot of us having to do actual research to see what we’re entering? 

..... the twilight zone. 

13 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

How has SkyBet got as a favourites to win this? We're rudderless, managerless and need a new squad. 

Simple that - of the 24 clubs we finished highest. They’re not exactly intuitive these betting companies. 

10 hours ago, Bazly said:

It might be nice to win more than 9 games, if only because there are more games in the Championship.

It might be nice to see proper players putting in a proper shift.

It might be refreshing to play some teams that are worse than us.

It would be good to see pitch side notebooks banned.

It would be thought provoking to develop a Plan B to be applied when needed.

It would be amazing to see impact subs at any point in the game, not just fresh faces doing the same Plan A arriving on clock; in the 60th to 67th minute.

There are lots of things to potentially look forward to next season.

Looking forward to not having to hear the media banging on and on about the big 6/7..

Looking forward to not having to suffer VAR. 

Looking forward to not having corrupt officiating blatantly biased towards the rich clubs. 

The PL has become a farce. 

I won't miss watching it one bit. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

We aren’t really. It seems like we are in a world of trouble, but in reality it’s probably not as bad as we think it appears to be. 

We’ve got decent players to sell, we won’t go mad selling everyone, but we will sell those players that will bring in decent money. Nothing will change in that respect and I fully expect us to get the asking price for Maddison and Barnes and I think we will raise enough finances to put together a good team. 

In relation to the board yes, colossal mistakes have been made. But I’d like to think that Top has enough about him to put it right. Having had time to reflect on the whole situation you’ve got to look at it subjectively to be able to make sense of it, otherwise it won’t. 

Without going over old ground in depth again, Brendan was appointed as a long term project. He was given more licence to have an input in the running of the club with his new deal, and at the time it seemed like a good idea. On paper it certainly was, he fit the bill and the results were coming. The errors made by the board became quickly apparent when Brendan started to talk about this refresh, this was when that creative licence started to look like a bad move, as one minute Brendan was told yes, and then the next he’s being told no. 

Naturally he got the arse and compromised the club to save his face. And the boards mistake was not recognising this soon enough, and being too loyal to him when it was clear he had lost all interest. 

That’s the rout of the issue here, because Brendan was well capable of keeping that side in the premier league, but he couldn’t be ****ing bothered, because someone told him no, so he took his ball home with him. 

The contracts are another error, and it is a joke to be having 8 players walk out on a free, however….. dropping down a division will allow us now to sell on some other assets that we probably were not intending to, so there will be some more substantial funds coming into the club. And if we can’t shift all of them, under the right management we’ve got base squad more than capable of getting out of this league. 

King Power’s vision doesn’t account for championship football…. Yes we all know mistakes have been made, and I think Top now knows he is going to have to do something. They won’t want the club sitting in the championship, they will want to get back on track as soon as they can. This is what gives me the hope they will go about getting it right. 

I don’t want to sound like “one of those fans” but I’m just trying to add context to this waffle I’m spewing, but the last decade hasn’t been an accident the club has operated well, it’s a recent run of bad decisions that have cost us, but, mistakes can be corrected, and I do trust Top to make the right calls now, because he simply has to, and I do believe this is where this club flourishes with its backs against the wall, and relegation has probably put its back against the wall. 

I’ve probably just spoken complete bollocks, but time will of course tell. 

Thanks, and really well put.

For me, the issue starts when Brendan becomes the project rather the 'project' being the project (i hope that makes sense!). If you look at Man City, its hard not to see Pep as the project, and i think after his initial stint Brendan had so much success, all the management around the club drank far too much cool aid and dropped the ball massively with his updated deal thinking that they can replicate the Pep model. He was suddenly given power to execute his project, remove staff etc, and i doubt many even considered failure was an option. But as you say, wheels start falling off and at some point Brendan gravitated into his huff mode. The 'refresh interview' was the moment bolts start rattling on those wheels. The problem is, the management didn't know how to deal with it as he had been given far to much sway at the club. As they clawed this back, Brendan just became huffier. 

100% he could have kept this club in the PL. He could have executed a much better pre season and utilised his resources correctly, rather than casting them aside to prove a point. But, the management team should have seen through this. Its something that would never have been allowed to happen at one of the bigger clubs. It won't be allowed to happen again here.

I too think they will sort it. The impact this has had on the asset will be something that Top will be foaming at the mouth about. I am sure they that this massive failure will drive them to make better, sharper and leaner decisions. I'm convinced a number of things from the youth upwards will be kicked into shape.  I'm convinced they will try and setup to bounce back effectively and stronger. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rigga said:

I don't think West Ham were on the beach at all. I think West Ham have been sh1te all season and still largely are. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I too think they will sort it. The impact this has had on the asset will be something that Top will be foaming at the mouth about. I am sure they that this massive failure will drive them to make better, sharper and leaner decisions. I'm convinced a number of things from the youth upwards will be kicked into shape.  I'm convinced they will try and setup to bounce back effectively and stronger. 

This is an interesting theory, Id like to thing Top is fuming and eager to put this all right. Pay the best advisers get the best people in.

KP have invested a huge amount in a training facility, not for a championship club, the designed a new stand and facilities not for a championship club. Their Asset has dropped from being a 200 million club to probably a 50 million one. It make sense to get that back is if they ever sell the club its hugely more attractive in the Premier League. 

I'd be livid at Rodger, I hope they have learned serious lessons and become better and stronger due to it.