Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

4 hours ago, don_danbury said:

bookies had us favourites to win the europa league.

Largely meaningless right now. I doubt many people have lumped much on and you will see odds making more sense when squads are known. 

11 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Different era now.

Parachute payments give teams coming down from the Premier League a huge advantage and those who were in it a long time, like us and Southampton, are geared up for top flight football in a way that makes them attractive to prospective players and managers to go straight up.

Couple that with the likely transfer fees we'll get for Maddison and Barnes and it's not difficult to see why we'll be most neutrals' favourites. You invariably see one or two of the relegated teams bounce back straight away nowadays. Of the three relegated teams, I actually think Leeds are the least likely to do so at this very early stage with their ownership so up in the air.

I hope you’re right. Could certainly be turned into a massive positive with the right business, set up. The old two steps back for one step forward. It’s going to be an interesting year

25 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

Believe Blackburn and Preston always give a lot away don’t they?

No idea about Preston but Blackburn likely. Depends how many teams get in for home support. If they rely on away fans to bring in the money then they will give larger allocations 

Realism -.Im not 100 per cent on contracts but I think we could have  when all fit and well Justin,Thomas.Wout,souter.Evans,VK and Ricardo plus Iverson as defence.

Up top Nacho,Dak and Tete might turn out to be footballers(quick as heck whatever)Riccardo right wing?,MIdfield KDH.Mendy,Bouba .Praet (?

Should be very capable of battering most teams with a couple of decent buys,

Be interesting and money in from the sales to balance book

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I hope you’re right. Could certainly be turned into a massive positive with the right business, set up. The old two steps back for one step forward. It’s going to be an interesting year

It could be like 07-08 where a gutless team with no identity or ability to score went down, was dismantled in the summer and a new manager came in to conduct an almighty rebuild.

Previously failing players (Fryatt) stepped up to score for fun, the transfer business was smart, the dead wood was offloaded. A team that was one of the easiest to beat in the Championship put together a 23 game unbeaten run in League One and picked up 96 points before being just a penalty kick from Wembley the following season and attracting a certain Thai family to invest in the process.

It was also the last season a smaller club from Nottingham were in the division above us.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Different era now.

Parachute payments give teams coming down from the Premier League a huge advantage and those who were in it a long time, like us and Southampton, are geared up for top flight football in a way that makes them attractive to prospective players and managers to go straight up.

Couple that with the likely transfer fees we'll get for Maddison and Barnes and it's not difficult to see why we'll be most neutrals' favourites. You invariably see one or two of the relegated teams bounce back straight away nowadays. Of the three relegated teams, I actually think Leeds are the least likely to do so at this very early stage with their ownership so up in the air.

The ones we’ll receive less of than (I presume) any other club as it’s now due to pay off the loans? 

There’s still going to be a lot of dead wood left to pay wages too, Vestergaard etc.

1 minute ago, when_you're_smiling said:

The ones we’ll receive less of than (I presume) any other club as it’s now due to pay off the loans? 

There’s still going to be a lot of dead wood left to pay wages too, Vestergaard etc.

On the flipside, I can't even imagine either Leeds or Southampton getting in the amount of transfer fees that we'll get for Maddison and Barnes alone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bilo said:

On the flipside, I can't even imagine either Leeds or Southampton getting in the amount of transfer fees that we'll get for Maddison and Barnes alone.

Watch Man City pay 60 mil for Ward-Prowse and we get 20 mil for Madders. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Chelmofox said:

Watch Man City pay 60 mil for Ward-Prowse and we get 20 mil for Madders. 

JWP is nowhere near Maddison's level overall. I personally think the former will end up somewhere like Brighton and Maddison will go to Newcastle or Arsenal.

• Like 1

Southampton have a lot of players that fall in to the 'Too good for the Championship but too inexperienced for the Premier League' category.

I think they'll be much more comfortable a team in the Championship than we will. A lot of promising youngsters.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Still can't believe we're in this league, to be honest.

There’ll still be 11 lads in blue to watch and get behind, and hopefully some of fans who seem to accept it yesterday and clap them off will also follow some of the players out of the door. 

I’m also tempted to buy Football Manager again to try the rebuild myself. Is that allowed, I’m nearly 40 and have kids?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, HitchinFox said:

Our first game of the season will 100% be the Friday night affair for Sky. 

If those responsible for fixtures are competent, it'll be either Coventry away or Ipswich at home. 

I wonder if it'll be Leeds on a Friday night instead of us. They're a big pull for Sky as well, alongside us.

Given we start a week earlier than the PL, there'll be a Saturday 5.30pm game too most likely. 

Now I’ve calmed even more. I actually think we will absolutely piss the league next season. 

We will get some good money in for our players, and I actually think we will get it right. 

The only way to get back on track. Have a look a Fulham and see what they did. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Southampton have a lot of players that fall in to the 'Too good for the Championship but too inexperienced for the Premier League' category.

I think they'll be much more comfortable a team in the Championship than we will. A lot of promising youngsters.

They have a lot of good quality Championship players like Che Adams, Adam Armstrong, Nathan Tella, Joe Aribo, James Bree etc on top of good young players like Tino Livramento. Think they will piss the league personally and wont need a massive squad overhaul to do it

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I wonder if it'll be Leeds on a Friday night instead of us. They're a big pull for Sky as well, alongside us.

Given we start a week earlier than the PL, there'll be a Saturday 5.30pm game too most likely. 

It’ll be one of us on the Friday for sure. And like you say there will be a Saturday game too. 

Plymouth at home my guess. 

11 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

They have a lot of good quality Championship players like Che Adams, Adam Armstrong, Nathan Tella, Joe Aribo, James Bree etc on top of good young players like Tino Livramento. Think they will piss the league personally and wont need a massive squad overhaul to do it

Surely Burnley make an attempt at signing Tella?

But tend to agree, I think they are best placed to come back. If Russell Martin turns out to be merely competent there will be enough talent in their squad. I don't see them losing too many players, could even see Ward Prowse sticking around as I'm not sure he'll have enough suitors for the price Southampton will demand.

Edited by martyn

1 hour ago, HitchinFox said:

Our first game of the season will 100% be the Friday night affair for Sky. 

If those responsible for fixtures are competent, it'll be either Coventry away or Ipswich at home. 

Everything I have seen when they have advertised the new season on Sky suggests it starts on Saturday the 5th August so are we sure there will be a Friday night game?

If there is I am not doubting the likelihood it would be us on!

8 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Everything I have seen when they have advertised the new season on Sky suggests it starts on Saturday the 5th August so are we sure there will be a Friday night game?

If there is I am not doubting the likelihood it would be us on!

The fixtures that are initially released are always subject to change anyway.

TV companies will wait for fixtures to be released to see who they want to pick.

I'd have thought they would choose the stand out fixture and that would be changed to the Friday night.

1 hour ago, South Shire Fox said:

I could see teams like Bournemouth and Burnley wanting those players. Agree that they and us look most likely at this (extremely) early stage though. 

Coventry will lose one or both of their big two, Blackburn have lost Brereton and Leeds are arguably even more of a mess than us.

On the other hand, Boro might be a threat and Sunderland will go big again. It's a piss poor league those aside though. 

I can see why we're bookies' faves, but logic currently leans towards Southampton until we know what happens with managers and transfer markets.