Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nicolo Barella

Choudhury

Technically, he's way off it as far as Premier League football goes. 

Fortunately, we don't have to worry about that any more, so I think it makes perfect sense to keep him here this season.

He's athletic, energetic and clearly effective at breaking up play at Championship level, so I don't see why we need to buy another CDM. 

Moreover, despite being absolutely bollocks on the ball, he's never once showed an inkling that he doesn't care about the club - he's a local player and will be part of a core group of players who actually give a shit about our future as a club. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HeskeyForever said:

Technically, he's way off it as far as Premier League football goes. 

Fortunately, we don't have to worry about that any more, so I think it makes perfect sense to keep him here this season.

He's athletic, energetic and clearly effective at breaking up play at Championship level, so I don't see why we need to buy another CDM. 

Moreover, despite being absolutely bollocks on the ball, he's never once showed an inkling that he doesn't care about the club - he's a local player and will be part of a core group of players who actually give a shit about our future as a club. 

I agree with you, Ndidi looked way off it technically last season anyway and he is supposed to be PL level!

This is Choudhury's hometown club. I've always thought he gives you 100%. And to be honest, that's exactly what we have been missing. It's a long season with a lot of games and he'll be a valuable asset if he's part of the squad. 

1 hour ago, VintageFox73 said:

Hamza is a great lad, i know his dad pretty well im going to see him later and ill see what his plans are, last time i spoke to him he wanted to join Watford permanently 

He is a guaranteed starter at Watford so he will need some assurances that he will be firmly in the new managers plans.

On 31/05/2023 at 21:22, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Very one-dimensional as he offers nothing going forward. We'd need to surround him with some absolute ballers, and there aren't too many of them at Championship level.

...that has never been his game!!!

Screening for the back four and wall passing is what he does!!!

Running around making full blooded challenges is something associated with him, but that seems to a facet added to his style, but it isn’t the type of player that he is.

KDH changed seemingly overnight when he went to Luton, he added aggression to his game and had confidence in what he was doing. If anything I feel he would rather be a playmaker,  than the machine that we see on the pitch.

I still think there’s unrealised potential to unlock with Hamza. No he’s not a top end prem player but he’s more than good enough for top end championship/ lower prem teams. I’d be pretty okay with him being the holding midfielder going into the season 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He's not good enough for us at this level either. People need to get over it. He puts a shift in and he's local, I get the urge to see him succeed, but he offers us nothing unless we play him specifically as a disruptor. But his positional discipline is terrible so he still needs to play alongside a proper holding midfielder.

There's no real system he fits in that makes any sense for us to be playing. I'd only really have him anywhere near the starting lineup if we're desperate to save money because we've invested in some real quality on the wings and/or CB. 

Because any midfield with him in it is going to either seriously lack defensive shape or creativity. 

Being top of the interceptions per game for the league would suggest his positional play probably isn't shown up as much in the Championship.

I would be happy to keep him, he is one of the only players we have who has a nasty streak and likes to get stuck in. The championship is a tough and physical league and Hamza will be a good player to have as he doesn’t get bullied and he also has a seasons experience at this level. He has good energy and I think he could have a big impact as the holding midfielder. 

29 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Being top of the interceptions per game for the league would suggest his positional play probably isn't shown up as much in the Championship.

I dont actually agree with that to be honest. A lot of interceptions come from basically point blank. I know we think of interceptions as the player sat off taking up intelligent positions and cutting out passes but it doesn't quite match the reality. Strikers pick up quite a few interceptions for example by closing down defenders and keepers and getting a toe on a pass. 

I'm guessing, I haven't checked, but I imagine if you looked at a heat map of Hamza's interceptions you'd find them spread out all over the defensive half. 

He's good at what he does, charging round the pitch being a nuisance. There absolutely is a place for it in some games, especially games in which we're the underdog. Having two defensive midfielders, one holding and one pursuing the ball, that's fine. 

But he's cost us so many goals historically because of his natural instincts and his lack of positional awareness and I'm not sure that's something he's ever going to develop. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I dont actually agree with that to be honest. A lot of interceptions come from basically point blank. I know we think of interceptions as the player sat off taking up intelligent positions and cutting out passes but it doesn't quite match the reality. Strikers pick up quite a few interceptions for example by closing down defenders and keepers and getting a toe on a pass. 

I'm guessing, I haven't checked, but I imagine if you looked at a heat map of Hamza's interceptions you'd find them spread out all over the defensive half. 

He's good at what he does, charging round the pitch being a nuisance. There absolutely is a place for it in some games, especially games in which we're the underdog. Having two defensive midfielders, one holding and one pursuing the ball, that's fine. 

But he's cost us so many goals historically because of his natural instincts and his lack of positional awareness and I'm not sure that's something he's ever going to develop. 

On the strikers point there isn't a single forward in the top twenty for interceptions in the Championship. I think he'd be capable as a squad option playing the role alternating with someone a bit more disciplined against better sides. Especially as you've said it means we can invest more elsewhere.

there’s going to be a few games this coming season where we will need to bring on someone  who will have  a bit more steel… would help us protect the defense and protect  a lead. And Hamza will be great for that.

He won’t be in the first 11 and won’t get 40 games for us so I highly doubt he would want to stay as he’s not been brilliant at Watford but he hasn’t been shabby either . He’ll get offers to be a starter  in the  championship that’s for sure and at this stage of his career he’s be daft to turn that down..

Bristol City will have a few wholes to plug this summer..

18 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

there isn't a single forward in the top twenty for interceptions in the Championship

Sorry, I might not have been explaining myself particularly well, I wasn't trying to imply strikers are leaders on interceptions I was just using them as an example for how a lot of interceptions come from defending quite actively and aggressively and not just the traditional view of sitting at the back mopping up like a Busquets. 

I agree with Finnegan. His positioning has always been awful and he plays like a headless chicken running around in space. He also annoyingly doesn't show for the ball when we're in possession. He is good at harassing the man with the ball so when you're in a low block that's pretty good, but he is a ball chaser. I actually think his short lived covering positions at CB and moreso RB (which was 1 game?) when he had to be shoehorned in there were actually some of his better performances. Even if one was the Spurs capitulation.

45 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Sorry, I might not have been explaining myself particularly well, I wasn't trying to imply strikers are leaders on interceptions I was just using them as an example for how a lot of interceptions come from defending quite actively and aggressively and not just the traditional view of sitting at the back mopping up like a Busquets. 

Fair enough, oh yeah he's not one to sit and hold the shape but at home to the likes of Rotherham he could easily do a job.

I am all for a midfield three of KDH, Hamza and a more technical midfielder supporting the striker. Think that will give us great protection, commitment and energy at Championship level. 

Edited by scinnell

On 01/06/2023 at 07:04, ronnup said:

Has anyone spoken to a Watford fan, how did they rate him? He played plenty 

Had a look on their forum, they rate him as a ball winner but think he is nowhere near championship level on the ball. As an option he’s good to have around for next season but I’d be worried if he was our starting defensive midfielder.

https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/hamza-choudhury.59615/page-3

• Like 1

Personally think he could be just what’s needed, buzzing around snapping into a tackle will get the crowd more up for it when it’s a flat start. Him and kdh can set the tempo for the midfield and how we want to play! Kdh was fairly creative for Luton although he took corners so he intrigued to see open play stats. Creative/goal scoring midfielder in there and we look okay in there already. 

Edited by Lesta2014