Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jruizc_

Castagne to Fulham

My problem with Castagne in the last couple of years is that he's not really offered any threat going forward, and given the fact he's poor defensively, that's a real problem. Ricardo Pereira too is weak defensively, but when he was exceptional for us when he got POTY it was because his attacking play was his best form of defence. Now that Castagne isn't offering a regular attacking threat, he just gets pushed back and pushed back highlighting his weaknesses more. If he was braver, and pushed his winger backwards, his defensive issues wouldn't get exposed as much, as was the case with Ricardo, and even JJ when he had that 3 month spell where he looked great because he was so adventurous. 

Once you don't have that attacking threat you get exposed. It reminds me of Albrighton, who's selection meant we just got deeper and more negative because his opposite number didn't respect his attacking threat so just attacked him all game. This led to people saying "Albrighton is great defensively".....Not realising the best way a wide man can help the defence is by going the other way, as Mahrez always did. We haven't had reliable full backs since Simpson and Fuchs, and Pep's willingness to play 4 centre halves over full backs this season shows there's plenty of room in the Modern game for defensively sound full backs. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Does he have the best agent in football?

Am I missing something?

Are big clubs just stupid?

What's going on?

Juve are a shambles right now, Cuadrado is getting older, getting someone like Tim who'll put in 6 or 7/10 performances week in week out while being able to play a whole host of positions is somewhat of a no-brainer if he's available for 15m. Belgian international, experience in Italy and European competitions 

• Like 2

We need the money, he's not really someone I'm arsed about keeping despite the winner v Wolves and almost scoring v Newcastle.

However there is still something really annoying about these players delivering relegation and squirming away scott free.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LestaLad said:

Surely we should be asking for £15-20m at least!

I think that’s high. We signed him for around £17m and he’s gone down in stock everyone knows we need to sell.

I think if we get a £10m bid we should take it 

Edited by Sampson

1 hour ago, jruizc_ said:

Leicester's asking for 15M according to Di Marzio. 

If we’re asking for 15m euro’s and not pounds then that works out at around £12.8m.

Truthfully I expect us to get £12m for him if we can get £15m then that’s good business.

3 hours ago, Sampson said:

I think that’s high. We signed him for around £17m and he’s gone down in stock everyone knows we need to sell.

I think if we get a £10m bid we should take it 

I dunno though, if it's Juventus that by default surely bumps it to more than that.

Italian and Turkish Clubs to not pay fees.  They will offer to loan him, we pay his full wages and they get to keep him when his contract runs down.  Arsenal please.

7 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

My problem with Castagne in the last couple of years is that he's not really offered any threat going forward, and given the fact he's poor defensively, that's a real problem. Ricardo Pereira too is weak defensively, but when he was exceptional for us when he got POTY it was because his attacking play was his best form of defence. Now that Castagne isn't offering a regular attacking threat, he just gets pushed back and pushed back highlighting his weaknesses more. If he was braver, and pushed his winger backwards, his defensive issues wouldn't get exposed as much, as was the case with Ricardo, and even JJ when he had that 3 month spell where he looked great because he was so adventurous. 

Once you don't have that attacking threat you get exposed. It reminds me of Albrighton, who's selection meant we just got deeper and more negative because his opposite number didn't respect his attacking threat so just attacked him all game. This led to people saying "Albrighton is great defensively".....Not realising the best way a wide man can help the defence is by going the other way, as Mahrez always did. We haven't had reliable full backs since Simpson and Fuchs, and Pep's willingness to play 4 centre halves over full backs this season shows there's plenty of room in the Modern game for defensively sound full backs. 

Is it possible that the standard of coaching had anything to do with this?  He's another example of a player who got worse instead of better under Brendan.  Castagne is not a bad player but the system that he's played in over the last couple of seasons hardly got the best out of him.  So many players suffered - not just him.

• Like 1

I like Castagne but some of the moves our players are getting or being linked with are quite baffling.

Then you have Tielemans going Villa at the other end of the spectrum lol he must be quite butthurt by it all deep down, when only a couple of seasons ago he was the player, the main man, expected to go to a top club....in his head.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Italian and Turkish Clubs to not pay fees.  They will offer to loan him, we pay his full wages and they get to keep him when his contract runs down.  Arsenal please.

Are Juventus maybe an exception to that from Italian clubs? I know they do loan a lot of talent from within Italy and elsewhere but they are probably the most likely to splash fees outright as well I would have thought.

8 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Players like Castagne are exactly what we need to get rid of. Praet, Faes to follow next. Weak minded players. Zero match winning input. Mediocre. Even if we got promoted, they’ll add little. Getting a good fee for him would be excellent business. 

A bit revisionist, he scored the winner against Wolves and nearly v Newcastle. I think he’ll thrive in a better environment. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1